What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Krect 1st gen, gold Cooper Kant-Rust, Cooper K-R Adjustable
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Very cool, sir. I have a Berkeley inbound identical to your Cooper adjustable (methinks)! Let us know how it shaves!

View attachment 1103791View attachment 1103792
I believe the Berkeley and Doehler-Jarvis versions are identical. There is some difference of opinion re how they shave, one review found his too mild even on max setting, on mine I find plenty of blade feel and adequate efficiency on that setting. Just one shave in.

Got fascinated by this American 1940s adjustable: The Berkeley 3-piece razor which were also sold under the Doehler-Jarvis brand (and possibly even as a Cooper).

I know nothing of it but tracked down some raving reviews of the shave which stated that the fixed shim really works great. So thought I’d try it!

En route directly to Chris Evatt for a replate as we speak so I am in for wait until I try it out :popc:

View attachment 1059876

Brief mention in Waits:View attachment 1059877View attachment 1059878
Here's the Cooper. Cheap plating but fine shaver on max setting.

I'm surprised Chris would be willing to mess with the Zamak head.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I came across this Canadian Single Ring last month. Not much info on Canadian made Gillettes except for what i could find on this site. I believe it to be around 1907ish. The serial number is on the barrel and hard to read. You can see partially the top of the C. The rest of the numbers appear to be 22699, not sure about the six. Can Pat Mar7 05 is marked on the bottom part of the handle. Other than that there are no other marks. It has a beautiful smokey dark grey patina finish and came with the case. There is no writing on the bottom of the case and the strap is missing. The razor blades were added later. Nice little addition to the den, manufactured in my birth place Montreal.
IMG_1166.jpgIMG_1167.jpgIMG_1168.jpgIMG_1169.jpgIMG_1172.jpgIMG_1173.jpgIMG_1175.jpg

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Hi everyone,
I came across this Canadian Single Ring last month. Not much info on Canadian made Gillettes except for what i could find on this site. I believe it to be around 1907ish. The serial number is on the barrel and hard to read. You can see partially the top of the C. The rest of the numbers appear to be 22699, not sure about the six. Can Pat Mar7 05 is marked on the bottom part of the handle. Other than that there are no other marks. It has a beautiful smokey dark grey patina finish and came with the case. There is no writing on the bottom of the case and the strap is missing. The razor blades were added later. Nice little addition to the den, manufactured in my birth place Montreal.
View attachment 1103882View attachment 1103885View attachment 1103886View attachment 1103887View attachment 1103888View attachment 1103891View attachment 1103892
Beautiful Patina.

Hi everyone,
View attachment 1103882View attachment 1103885View attachment 1103886View attachment 1103887View attachment 1103888View attachment 1103891View attachment 1103892
great looking set. Please can you show us pictures from both blade sides? I believe the blade is looking like this 1908 blade:

I'm surprised Chris would be willing to mess with the Zamak head.

Oh, no he didn’t plate it. I bought it in the US cheap, on a whim and not knowing what it was made of, and had it sent to him (as I have a couple of other projects with him) and he immediately concluded that it was zamak and couldn’t be replated. Thankfully, he also concluded that it is in a lot better shape than appeared in the seller pics.

I believe the Berkeley and Doehler-Jarvis versions are identical. There is some difference of opinion re how they shave, one review found his too mild even on max setting, on mine I find plenty of blade feel and adequate efficiency on that setting. Just one shave in.

Doehler-Jarvis was the manufacturer of that razor and the cast handles that was on the Kant Rust and other brand razors. And that was me who found it too mild on the max setting. One thing to consider though is how tight you are cranking down the handle intially and whether you adjust it even tighter or back it off to the nearest x or o where you start the adjusting from. You could be at a totally different gap setting than what I was using.

Very cool, sir. I have a Berkeley inbound identical to your Cooper adjustable (methinks)! Let us know how it shaves!

View attachment 1103791View attachment 1103792

That is a cool find. I didn't know Berkley also hand a rebrand of this razor. I had researched out the Coopers extensively at one point and the conclusion I came to since this style razor without the adjustment popped up under various brands during WWII was that they all were getting their razors made by the same manufacturer which happens to be Doehler-Jarvis. Doehler-Jarvis was a major metal smelter so they would be the obvious answer if the razors were all made of cast metal. We also know Doehler-Jarvis put out their own version of this razor. If you search for Doehler-Jarvis someone on this board years ago posted some pictures of said razor.

Top Bottom