What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Mt2d10W - Imgur.jpg

ATT S1 Satin Finish with an Atlas handle

I acquired this 'Cooper' Razor! It is about 2 Oz total weight where the handle is about 1 Oz and it is about 85mm long. The metal is very light but doesn't look like Aluminum. Any help in identifying this razor is much appreciated. Here are the pictures! I plan to shave with this tomorrow and update the results.

The Cooper company produced one of my favorite non Gillette razors. The Cooper Mono-built. It has a strange opening feature. The whole cap swings open with a hinge on one non shaving side. It takes a standard DE blade if I recall correctly. One of the best shavers you will ever use. They are hard to come by, and usually over priced, but even at that, if you can get a nice one, they are worth the money. Enjoy your Cooper man. If it shaved like the Mono-built, u you ou will love it. They were made in the 1930’s if I remember correctly.

[emoji3522]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1946-47 Gillette Aristocrat
View attachment 1078507

Hi, IMHO, those razors are the classiest and sexiest razors ever produced. I used to buy them every chance I could back when you could get nice ones for $60 all the time. Now a nice one will cost a fellow double that. I used them as gifts. I gave away as y 20 or more to friends and family for birthdays and holidays. If I could still get them for that price I would still do that. Unfortunately, our hobby has become quite expensive, and giving away old classics like those is not feasible. But you have a nice one there. You will definitely enjoy it. Congratulations, good show sir!

Hi, IMHO, those razors are the classiest and sexiest razors ever produced. I used to buy them every chance I could back when you could get nice ones for $60 all the time. Now a nice one will cost a fellow double that. I used them as gifts. I gave away as y 20 or more to friends and family for birthdays and holidays. If I could still get them for that price I would still do that. Unfortunately, our hobby has become quite expensive, and giving away old classics like those is not feasible. But you have a nice one there. You will definitely enjoy it. Congratulations, good show sir!
Then I shall be even more grateful that I acquired it for considerably less than $60. 🤙

Thanks!

This Velvet razor just arrived and it looks in nice condition. It seems quite aggressive and I am looking forward to trying it tomorrow. Does anyone know the age of this razor? View attachment 1078747View attachment 1078748

Well I have one myself but it seems to have a different baseplate than yours? Yours look newer for some reason? Mine is a wonderful mild shaver. Enjoy and let us know how it shaves!

D8A3875A-9FAD-467C-956A-478CA6459886.jpeg
DC658DBD-034D-4655-A7A5-FFCA46568843.jpeg
B91DD2AE-99FE-4114-9290-300C81C3DB9C.jpeg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Well I have one myself but it seems to have a different baseplate than yours? Yours look newer for some reason? Mine is a wonderful mild shaver. Enjoy and let us know how it shaves!

View attachment 1078899View attachment 1078900View attachment 1078901
Thanks Peter, I must have done well to acquire a razor that is in your collection! My base plate has different shaped slots and lacks engraving which is a shame. I note also that mine has diamond rather than round pegs which I have read suggests it may be earlier. It does look to be the original base plate though. I note that I need to take care with the blade alignment.
20200326_184230.jpg

20200326_184200.jpg

Attachments

• 20200326_184230.jpg
    20200326_184230.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 20200326_184200.jpg
    20200326_184200.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
This 1976 W1 Super Speed came in the post today. It needs little TLC.View attachment 1079032

In 1976, I was just starting my shaving adventure. I was 14 years old, and those were the shave tools commonly available. Those and the venerable Shick Krona. And of course the Black Beauties we’re still available some places. Also the techs but those tried and true Super Speeds were great to learn basic get-by shaving techniques. When I joined the military at 18 it was one of those I bought at the PX. I used it for awhile, but eventually succumbed to the lure of disposables. But always those Super Speeds were in my mental makeup I have always loved them. Good find man. Congrats.

In 1976, I was just starting my shaving adventure. I was 14 years old, and those were the shave tools commonly available. Those and the venerable Shick Krona. And of course the Black Beauties we’re still available some places. Also the techs but those tried and true Super Speeds were great to learn basic get-by shaving techniques. When I joined the military at 18 it was one of those I bought at the PX. I used it for awhile, but eventually succumbed to the lure of disposables. But always those Super Speeds were in my mental makeup I have always loved them. Good find man. Congrats.

Thanks! These old razors do bring back memories.

In going through my father's estate, I found some interesting items. Most notably a Gillette NEW short comb. It's in great mechanical shape though the finish is long gone. Some gold replating and it'll be good as new. Even old and beat up, it gave a great shave and I look forward to driving this one daily! Seems like an odd case compared to pictures I've seen online.

IMG_20200329_145155.jpg

I also found a beat up broken down 1967 Slim Adjustable that was buried loose in a toolbox for who knows how long (in separate drawers!!!???). I have a 1962 Slim adjustable that's been my daily driver for about 50 years now, as well as a fatboy and a few other old Gillettes, so this find isn't too heartbreaking, but it's still sad to see.
:c17:

The TTO Shaft is broken, the top of the head is separated from it. Is it possible that this can be repaired? Any suggestions on where to send it for repair?

IMG_20200329_143146.jpg

Top Bottom