What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

My only reference to a Tuckaway handle is that it most closely resembles the photo posted to the B&B post: Gillette NEW question - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gillette-new-question.371559/ -- looking through most photos for the Black and Red sets, they appear to be with the common bar handle -- if you have photos listing this handle as a B&R set, please share as I don't want to mis-characterize something as something its not (not that I would ever sell it), because I'm always up for learning something new every day. The photo in the above post plus the diamond knurling on this handle most closely resembling my 1921 New Improved Tuckaway may have led me astray.
1584640517792.png

I picked up this Long Comb New with a Tuckaway handle a few weeks back, but wanted to epoxy the cracked handle to stabilize it before cleaning it up. I hoped to preserve the gold finish, but the cap was scratched and it was caked with soap and rust (blade still in it) and had a bad case of verdigris, so I epoxied the handle and took everything to brass. The crack is still there, but it tightens down and stays in one piece--the size/weight of the Tuckaway handles is good to begin with, so the fix makes it even a bit heavier which I like and might add more weight as well later. I also might try to work more of the scratches out, but I agree with my wife's assessment that "it's a stunning razor."

Great job! Looks fantastic Lord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only reference to a Tuckaway handle is that it most closely resembles the photo posted to the B&B post: Gillette NEW question - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gillette-new-question.371559/ -- looking through most photos for the Black and Red sets, they appear to be with the common bar handle -- if you have photos listing this handle as a B&R set, please share as I don't want to mis-characterize something as something its not (not that I would ever sell it), because I'm always up for learning something new every day. The photo in the above post plus the diamond knurling on this handle most closely resembling my 1921 New Improved Tuckaway may have led me astray.
View attachment 1076032

The knurling is the difference.
What you have is a less common type that was made from a NI tube leftovers.

Here is another example of uncommon set:
proxy.php

Here is a thread:

I picked up a '69 Super Adjustable this past weekend at an antique store and it was pretty caked with old soap, was rusty from having the blade left in, etc., all in all in pretty rough condition with a bad case of handle drop (I had to scrape a mm thick layer of hardened soap away before I could recrimp it with a tubing cutter with a brass washer in place of the cutting wheel). Even after cleaning several times, and lubricating it shined up well, but I agree the aluminum/brass mix of materials seems cheap and not as smooth as the older ones--these don't seem to age as gracefully.

Yes that is the impression I get as well. I took it for a test ride tonight. Apparently the adjustables aren’t the same across the board in terms of aggressiveness. I set it at 5 and the thing felt good but as I moved on I was getting blood pooling in little patches and actually cut my upper lip while not paying attention. I believe I used my slim at 7 and it wasn’t this aggressive.

Hi, I have acquired this Gillette in good condition. I could not see any serial numbers or other markings except 'Gillette' and 'Made in USA'. Appreciate your help in identifying and dating this razor. Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• IMG_8991.jpg
    IMG_8991.jpg
    829.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8990.jpg
    IMG_8990.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8989.jpg
    IMG_8989.jpg
    901.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8988.jpg
    IMG_8988.jpg
    977.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8987.jpg
    IMG_8987.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8986.jpg
    IMG_8986.jpg
    844.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8985.jpg
    IMG_8985.jpg
    937.6 KB · Views: 12

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Hi, I have acquired this Gillette in good condition. I could not see any serial numbers or other markings except 'Gillette' and 'Made in USA'. Appreciate your help in identifying and dating this razor. Thanks for all the help!
Appears to be a thick-cap, 1920’s Old style with ball-end handle. Nice find, Venkat.

The knurling is the difference.
What you have is a less common type that was made from a NI tube leftovers.

Here is another example of uncommon set:
proxy.php

Here is a thread:
Very interesting, thank you for the reference--I was beating my brain to find out where it fit into the timeline/category of razors and just wanted to make sure it wasn't a frankenrazor. I have a ball end long comb new from the same era (does not have the reissue patents stamped in the base plate), which I believe makes it early in the New era (older than 1932), but I tried handle in question on the early long comb head, but it won't clearance the countersunk area of the base plate and tighten down. I haven't tried the handle on my short comb yet.

Found this beat up thick cap old type in an antique store last weekend (missing the ball end) for $3.00, took it to brass and picked up a brass plumbing end cap for $2.50. I mounted it in a drill clamped into a vice and used a file to turn down the diameter to fit inside the handle and then sandpaper to smoothen the end cap before using epoxy to hold it in and stabilize the cracks. A little Flitz and it's good to go for $5.50!

Attachments

• TC1.jpg
    TC1.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 33
  • TC2.jpg
    TC2.jpg
    458 KB · Views: 37
  • TC3.jpg
    TC3.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 43
  • TC4.jpg
    TC4.jpg