What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

According to USPS Tracking, out for delivery:

Gold Merkur Progress.jpg

A vintage gold-plated Merkur. The second gold razor I've gone after in the past month.

Any idea how old it is?

Anywhere from the 50s to the 70s, I think, though I did see a couple of pictures of the same razor supposedly from the 80s/90s. The condition of this razor, which appears to be excellent, makes me think it's not too terribly old. I think the blade might be a clue, but there is no way to be sure the blade and razor were purchased at the same time.

Once I get it I will see if there are any identifiable characteristics that will help pin down the date. Not sure it will come in the original box.

But I'm not overly concerned about the age. I got it because it was very reasonably priced, which means the vendor didn't know what she had.

Anywhere from the 50s to the 70s, I think, though I did see a couple of pictures of the same razor supposedly from the 80s/90s. The condition of this razor, which appears to be excellent, makes me think it's not too terribly old. I think the blade might be a clue, but there is no way to be sure the blade and razor were purchased at the same time.

Once I get it I will see if there are any identifiable characteristics that will help pin down the date. Not sure it will come in the original box.

But I'm not overly concerned about the age. I got it because it was very reasonably priced, which means the vendor didn't know what she had.
She's a beauty. A design that's stood the test of time. Enjoy!

Bling arrived this morning. This is my second open comb, and I am waiting for a third one in transit.

Attachments

• 406EB2DD-1E1A-4713-9C58-CB238889450D.jpeg
    406EB2DD-1E1A-4713-9C58-CB238889450D.jpeg
    793.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 84F5A6E0-3C7E-418E-8912-F373BAE5D780.jpeg
    84F5A6E0-3C7E-418E-8912-F373BAE5D780.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 24
  • 17044BFE-0553-496B-B283-62392BDA59E5.jpeg
    17044BFE-0553-496B-B283-62392BDA59E5.jpeg
    930.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 2C0EFFE8-EB77-4D6A-9D07-168FA8A76ABF.jpeg
    2C0EFFE8-EB77-4D6A-9D07-168FA8A76ABF.jpeg
    804 KB · Views: 20
Just bought a RazoRock SLOC. SLOC stands for Self Lubricating Open Comb. They claim this style traps the moisture and you can shave on areas where no cream is lefp. I don't let the comb scare you this razor is not that aggressive. It's really purty and price is reasonable around $20.00. It's kind of funny because it's extensively reviewed on YouTube and you can see that because of the low price everyone want to pan it. But they all end up really liking it. I'm very partial to the look with the dual combs. Pairs well with the Red Pack Personna (Made in Israel)

View attachment 1071153
After shaving with this razor 3 times with a Personna Red Box Israeli. This is my favorite of all the Razors. Even though I shave daily and have little beard, it's amazing because the Shave Cream goes right through it. If I forget to rinse the blade as I"m shaving it doesn't clog. This was noticable because today I shaved with a Parker Semi Slant and at one point is wasn't making contact with my skin until I rinsed it.

Hit up the thrift store today and picked up two Techs for 5 each. Mail came in and I got my Game Changer .68! Gotta do a little research on the techs. The ball end which is nearly perfect, has a Z date code, and the fat handle, which was just caked in scum, has no date code and triangular holes in the base plate, which if I remember right makes it a prewar? I'm told prewar techs are excellent shavers so I'm hopeful.

IMG_20200311_135404.jpg

Thank you to @Okranger86 for selling me the Razorock! Can't wait to try it out.

Hit up the thrift store today and picked up two Techs for 5 each. Mail came in and I got my Game Changer .68! Gotta do a little research on the techs. The ball end which is nearly perfect, has a Z date code, and the fat handle, which was just caked in scum, has no date code and triangular holes in the base plate, which if I remember right makes it a prewar? I'm told prewar techs are excellent shavers so I'm hopeful.

View attachment 1073277

Thank you to @Okranger86 for selling me the Razorock! Can't wait to try it out.
I have a .68 Game Changer in route to me.

Top Bottom