What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Lately the only thing I've been finding at local antique stores have been over-priced Gillette Techs so I've not purchased anything in a while. (Nothing against Techs - it's just that I already have a few nice examples in my collection and don't particularly need duplicates). So, I was interested when I came across this razor yesterday in an antique store even though I wasn't exactly sure what it was - I was thinking maybe a NEW but it was different than the one I already have but it was cheap so I purchased it.

After some research it appears to be a Goodwill No. 175 which I understand to be one of the more rare varieties and manufactured only in 1931.

It's a shame the plating is in such lousy condition and there's a little bit of corrosion in places but I'm glad that I picked it up anyway and I'm happy that I found something a little different for a change.

View attachment 1047360
Great score, congratulations.

The E-Bay description called it "Antique Razor". Nickel Prewar Fat Handle Tech, better than the junk quality I wanted so I could do some DIY nickel plating, but for $7 + shipping, I got it anyway. It even came with a blade ...
Prewar Fathandle Tech  like new.jpg

This is the first vintage razor ever that didn't have soap scum or crud on it. The blade looks unused via 40x magnifying glass. No dings, no staining, it looks like the day it was made. I sanitized it with Scrubbing Bubbles, but it didn't even need any buffing or other clean-up.
After todays' shave, it will go into the Cohiba Cigar Box to join my other best-of-the-best collection.

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I just acquired this which I think is a 1914 single ring, in which case it is now my oldest razor. The case is nice but not the original I think and it has cleaned up nicely with just warm water, dish washing liquid and a soft toothbrush. Superficially it looks similar to my lovely Leresche #34 (I think) shown on the right, I wonder if they will shave the same - only one way to find out!
1.jpg

20191230_213910[1].jpg

20191230_213944[1].jpg

Very nice razor and case. Thanks for sharing the photos. I received a 1910 single ring for Christmas and it looks very much the same except for a couple of differences. The serial number of mine is on the handle and and mine has different rings on the handle bottom. I'm guessing yours was made in the UK and mine in the US. My single ring shaves wonderfully. Good luck with yours.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Very nice razor and case. Thanks for sharing the photos. I received a 1910 single ring for Christmas and it looks very much the same except for a couple of differences. The serial number of mine is on the handle and and mine has different rings on the handle bottom. I'm guessing yours was made in the UK and mine in the US. My single ring shaves wonderfully. Good luck with yours.
Thank you, I suspect it is UK made. It is surprising how well they clean up with very little effort while still retaining a lovely patina. Now, by agreement with my wife, I have to sell one of my other razors so my modest collection remains modest.

R

romsitsa

The other way around. Pat.Nov.15.04 on the barrel is always US, serial on the barrel is always UK.

Adam

Happy new year to you as well. Finishing with (amongst others) an double ring.

P.S. You still have a couple of hours to order stuff online. Bought in 2019, delivery in 2020 isn't part of the sabbatical
Happy new year to you as well. Finishing with (amongst others) an double ring.

P.S. You still have a couple of hours to order stuff online. Bought in 2019, delivery in 2020 isn't part of the sabbatical

Yes Erik, the DR was a nice surprise after receiving a tip from another B&B member that it was up for sale.

As for still being able to order online before midnight for later delivery, you are quite the bad influence! Happy New Year!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Very nice scores Gents, especially my Grail razor Thomas, a great way to finish the year.
Congratulations all round.

I don’t seem to be able to hold back when it comes to Anglosaxon Aristocrat sets - this morning sealed a deal on this one, let’s call it a Christmas present for myself :blush:

1st generation set in great condition inside and out - I seem to recall that this is a case/set combo made for the Australian market but I could be wrong.

View attachment 1045086View attachment 1045087
Wholly Batman that’s a Beauty!! Awesome haul & Congrats!

The E-Bay description called it "Antique Razor". Nickel Prewar Fat Handle Tech, better than the junk quality I wanted so I could do some DIY nickel plating, but for $7 + shipping, I got it anyway. It even came with a blade ...
View attachment 1047963
This is the first vintage razor ever that didn't have soap scum or crud on it. The blade looks unused via 40x magnifying glass. No dings, no staining, it looks like the day it was made. I sanitized it with Scrubbing Bubbles, but it didn't even need any buffing or other clean-up.
After todays' shave, it will go into the Cohiba Cigar Box to join my other best-of-the-best collection.

That it a nice razor! - I actually have never shaved with this particular Tech model, still on my to-do list!

Top Bottom