What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
And another one arrived. A Gillette Pocket Edition from American Button Company, commonly called Gillette BAC in basket pattern box. It was produced in 1918 (date code G). It has two damages. One corner tooth is slightly bent. And the handle is bent as you can see on the photo. Unless I get a better suggestion here I will fill the handle with sugar and then try to bend it.
What does the sugar do?

I see... A disaster.. Sorry.
Not for me. A difficult to get piece of Argentine history and it would be restoreable to better than new. I just am not sure if I want that condition or the original one.

What does the sugar do?
If you try to bend an empty pipe it just folds. When the pipe is filled there is a pressure from the inside which stabilizes it and preserves more or less the internal opening. With this thick walls and little radius it is probably not really necessary. I have chosen sugar as a filler because it can be washed out and is not aggressive.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Not for me. A difficult to get piece of Argentine history and it would be restoreable to better than new. I just am not sure if I want that condition or the original one.

If you try to bend an empty pipe it just folds. When the pipe is filled there is a pressure from the inside which stabilizes it and preserves more or less the internal opening. With this thick walls and little radius it is probably not really necessary. I have chosen sugar as a filler because it can be washed out and is not aggressive.
Cool! Makes sense. Let us know how you fare.

I didn't need to fill it. It is nearly straight. To get it even more straight I need to find a fitting imperial screw. The teeth are now all level and nearly straight.

Put a blade into the Legion Extranjera. The head looks like that of a Single Ring with the flat top. When I compare the blade exposure with that of the 1918 ABC and a 1920s Old Type it looks extremely intimidating.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
My almost last set of razors arrived last night.
Ha! RAD can be an evil mistress...best of luck fighting the urge. It ebbs and flows but it seems you've been bitten my friend. There are more expensive hobbies/addictions out there. Enjoy the ride!

A Gillette New LC showed up last night and it has to be the most beautiful razor now in my rotation:

Karatsu_TFAshaverNewLC-1.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaverNewLC-2.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaverNewLC-3.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaverNewLC-4.JPG

Thanks @HomerJay

Found that Apollo at a flea market in Brussels. Two-piece. Handle piece is all aluminum, cap is nickel plated, perhaps brass. Did cost 10€.

Attachments

• IMG_20191117_093449.jpg
    IMG_20191117_093449.jpg
    756.9 KB · Views: 23
Bakelite Handle 1951 Tech. Obviously owned by someone who was clueless as to rinsing a razor after use. Scrubbing Bubbles removed the soap scum. Nickel is a little cloudy & needs polishing. Shaves like a Tech!

Nothing fancy but a really nice Britisch Rocket HD is always welcome. It came with vintage E1 (1959) French made Gillette blades so it probably never got used much.
AB3B9466-577A-4455-A030-2E26659F8A2F.jpeg
10E2874C-9EC5-4D97-8FBD-139CCBD7C3F0.jpeg
1329DDA2-C45C-40AA-A52B-2521966FFCF1.jpeg

Just got the Lucky Tiger and this BRAND NEW New Delivered. It looks to have never been used - no scratches where handle meets bottom plate & no scuffs in the lacquer coating. This is the new showpiece of my collection, and I'm confident that I'll be the first to ever shave with it.

Kind of a bummer, though, since for only $7 more, I could'a gotten a Gillette Heritage ...

NEW New.jpg
NEW New 2.jpg

Just got the Lucky Tiger and this BRAND NEW New Delivered. It looks to have never been used - no scratches where handle meets bottom plate & no scuffs in the lacquer coating. This is the new showpiece of my collection, and I'm confident that I'll be the first to ever shave with it.

Kind of a bummer, though, since for only $7 more, I could'a gotten a Gillette Heritage ...

View attachment 1037084View attachment 1037085

You got the Better Deal.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

Top Bottom