What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Not a razor obviously, but I picked up a nice vintage Wilkinson Sword brush today for a couple of euros, boar I think, feels like it will be a good face latherer. It's just had a wash so it looks a little ragged.

Edit: After a quick Google, it appears they still make a similar version to this day, so it may not be that old actually, still a bargain though.

full

My god that's a terrible brush, not even worth the 2 euros I paid for it.

Got my first Aristocrat yesterday. Obviously a 46-47 model, mechanical in great shape but with the gold plating gone on the doors and some spots here and there, but the nickel plating under the gold is in great condition, no scratches or whatsoever.
Had to take it for a ride, and I was very pleased. Great results, mild but still effective.
I compared it to my Super Speed -47 and the head looks identical, but I still believe the feeling was different, more music from the blade and I could feel the blade more. Probably placebo though since it's identical heads.

I also gently cleaned and polished the case with a wax based shoe cream, it made a remarkable difference!

Thinking about if I should try and restore the case inside, but maybe hard to get it right and good looking.

View attachment 1020031View attachment 1020032View attachment 1020033View attachment 1020034View attachment 1020035
Terrific!! That's the beauty of these razors - it doesn't matter if they look a little rough around the edges, they still perform like nobody's business. I have one of these in good condition, and another in not so good condition, but they both shave the same, and out perform almost every other razor in my collection.
Unfortunately, neither of mine came with a case. Your case looks really nice, especially on the outside. For the inside, I would take a brush to the felt, and clean the dust/lint out. As for the upper liner, maybe some QTips along with some mild soap & water would help with the dirty spots.
Congratulations!

Terrific!! That's the beauty of these razors - it doesn't matter if they look a little rough around the edges, they still perform like nobody's business. I have one of these in good condition, and another in not so good condition, but they both shave the same, and out perform almost every other razor in my collection.
Unfortunately, neither of mine came with a case. Your case looks really nice, especially on the outside. For the inside, I would take a brush to the felt, and clean the dust/lint out. As for the upper liner, maybe some QTips along with some mild soap & water would help with the dirty spots.
Congratulations!

Thank you for the tips, will try them when I have time

This razor made me break my own personal sabbatical but it was worth it, shaves like a dream better than the first gen open comp Aristocrat in my opinion. I've found I like the weight balance more with the thinner lighter handle. Sorry for the poor lighting as it was just a quick night time photo.

IMG_1919.JPG

Well...from a generous PIF that gave me a USA NDC Tech ball end and a Z4 Superspeed...

I have acquired an England NDC Tech ball end and a Canadian Tech Z2 Fat handle.....

....like George Costanza I will end my razor acquisition phase on a high note.

Thank you sir, I always enjoy coming to this thread to see what you've managed to find and acquire.

Anytime! I'm glad that you enjoy the reveals. Speaking of which...

Mail call!

IMG_4436.jpg
IMG_4454.jpg

Hull Pottery mug (version 02 or 03), no notch Super Speed, Ever Ready brush, and an unknown DE that looks pretty much unused.

Super adjustable (1974 fourth quarter) I got today. Cleaned and sanitized it, then oiled the joints.
Next shave I will put it through it's paces. Paid the equivalent of about 15 dollars for it. The nickel on the silo doors shows some wear but otherwise the razor seems to be in very good condition.
IMG_20190929_020545.jpg
IMG_20190929_020600.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190929_020618.jpg
    IMG_20190929_020618.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
We took a trip out to an antique mall on Saturday. I didn't see much, but on the way out I spotted a black razor tucked away behind some other stuff...
MCDF3337_sm.JPG

After a baking soda and aluminum foil bath and a little polishing I came up with this beautiful 1906 single ring...
MCDF3354_sm.JPG

The only problem is that on the way to check out the sales clerk dropped it on the carpet. It now has a crack in the tube which I don't think was there when I first looked at it. Since, with the 50% off sale it came to $4 I wasn't about to put it back or ask for a discount.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
We took a trip out to an antique mall on Saturday. I didn't see much, but on the way out I spotted a black razor tucked away behind some other stuff...
View attachment 1021240
After a baking soda and aluminum foil bath and a little polishing I came up with this beautiful 1906 single ring...
View attachment 1021239
The only problem is that on the way to check out the sales clerk dropped it on the carpet. It now has a crack in the tube which I don't think was there when I first looked at it. Since, with the 50% off sale it came to $4 I wasn't about to put it back or ask for a discount.
Great find. For $4 I wouldn’t have said anything either. Congratulations.

Top Bottom