What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

NOS 1971 R2 Gillette Super Adjustable Short Handle

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Not flashy but I quite like it :)

Very nice condition. They say they are excellent shavers, congrats!

I’ve been looking around for a Gillette Slim recently and purchased one from a store on Etsy trading out of the States, which I am currently waiting on arriving here in the UK. It was a fare price at £37 considering I’ve seen them selling over here for £50/£60 ish.

So whilst waiting for it to arrive over the last couple of days I stumbled across a guy selling a “Vintage Wilkinson Sword Razor Set” (pictured below) and he wanted £60.

proxy.php

I thought it worth taking a chance politely pointing out he didn’t have a WS set, but that some one had stored an old Gillette Razor in a WS box. As this wasn’t technically a set I offered to take it off his hands for £15 plus postage [emoji51] and he happily sold it me.

It arrived tonight and I’ve cleaned it up ready for use tomorrow morning! My first vintage Gillette, appears to be 1963 (I3) at an absolute steal, which I’m really happy with. Looking forward to using it and here she is...

proxy.php

Now just waiting on the other one arriving that is in its original case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful Slim... and for a song! Enjoy!

R

romsitsa

NOS 1971 R2 Gillette Super Adjustable Short Handle

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Not flashy but I quite like it :)

I'm not sure what this set is. The blades say made in Great Britain, Cavalcade des Sports sounds German and the series was cancelled long before 1971.
Can someone give some guidance?

Adam

R

romsitsa

Busy as a bee, gents... but here you have one of my latest acquisitions... BRIT. PAT. SR, no arrow, German vendor... very nice...

Still to be cleaned up though...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Hello there,

the sellers ribbon is new to me and the wording of the limited license doesn't match earlier examples, so it's most likely a fake.
You can send it to me, I like fakes.

:001_005:Adam

R

romsitsa

Canadian single ring. I have no idea how to date these from Canada but I've heard they are awesome shavers! The box is in pretty bad shape but I'm not complaining!
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hello,

I like the improvised repair of the box, judging from the photos it could be saved, but it's also nice in it's current state, imho.
The razor has the Canadian patents but the case states "Old type" so I think the razor was produced while the original patents were in force, but the case later, after the patents expired.

Adam

I'm not sure what this set is. The blades say made in Great Britain, Cavalcade des Sports sounds German and the series was cancelled long before 1971.
Can someone give some guidance?

Adam
Hi Adam,

Gillette Cavalcade of Sports ended in 1960 so I don't believe that the box was original to the razor. The blades were certainly not original and just thrown in as a "bonus".

Very nice condition. They say they are excellent shavers, congrats!
Thanks, I took it for a spin yesterday & its a beaut!

You made out pretty well yourself yesterday :)

R

romsitsa

Hi Adam,

Gillette Cavalcade of Sports ended in 1960 so I don't believe that the box was original to the razor. The blades were certainly not original and just thrown in as a "bonus".

Hello Kal,

that case came only with Super adjustables, to my knowledge, and these were only produced from 1968. And the Cavalcade of/des Sports looks like a bilingual name of the series.

Adam

R

romsitsa

I've found an ice hockey card from 1988 with Gillette cavalcade of sports on it.
Maybe the company used the name of the earlier broadcast series for its later, sport related sponsorships, and this set advertised some championship/sport event from 1971?

Adam

Hello there,

the sellers ribbon is new to me and the wording of the limited license doesn't match earlier examples, so it's most likely a fake.
You can send it to me, I like fakes.

:001_005:Adam

So nice of you, Adam!:001_tt2::lol:

Thanks!

We'll discuss the "wording issue" in the Brit Pat thread; for now, I'd say you have good eye.

Here we have this one:

proxy.php

And here we have another example, with obvious differences... hmmmm...

proxy.php

A WISEMAN ONCE WROTE "A PICTURE IS WORTH 1000 WORDS"

The top photo (red background) is the bottom of a case made in the USA, for sales in Britain.

The lower photo, is a case made in the British factory.

There are at least four versions of these case bottoms.

DSC00364.JPG
s-l1600-1.jpg

Cheers,
Kevin

I’ve been looking around for a Gillette Slim recently and purchased one from a store on Etsy trading out of the States, which I am currently waiting on arriving here in the UK. It was a fare price at £37 considering I’ve seen them selling over here for £50/£60 ish.

So whilst waiting for it to arrive over the last couple of days I stumbled across a guy selling a “Vintage Wilkinson Sword Razor Set” (pictured below) and he wanted £60.

proxy.php

I thought it worth taking a chance politely pointing out he didn’t have a WS set, but that some one had stored an old Gillette Razor in a WS box. As this wasn’t technically a set I offered to take it off his hands for £15 plus postage [emoji51] and he happily sold it me.

It arrived tonight and I’ve cleaned it up ready for use tomorrow morning! My first vintage Gillette, appears to be 1963 (I3) at an absolute steal, which I’m really happy with. Looking forward to using it and here she is...

proxy.php

Now just waiting on the other one arriving that is in its original case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you are a master negotiator

Top Bottom