What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Yep, typo, should be 1903 and 1904. I'd rather say it was sent to Ames by the Sales Co. as a prototype for a later sales contract.Adam

We know there are at least 2 out there with his name on the ribbon. After seeing the first one he may have asked for a couple more to pass around to business partners. Could explain why he was sent a more refined one with a nicer ribbon later in the year.

Hoffritz slant

full

Nice set there. Those are phenomenally comfortable shavers.

Quite jealous. I'll be happy to pick it up from your house if you ever get tired of it.

Might take more than one day.:a17:

Here's the other one that came today. Deluxe Tuckaway set. A little rough, but straight, no damage except case. Pre-cleanup photos.
IMG_0737.JPG
IMG_0740.JPG

Yes the length of the knurling puzzled me too. In the sale pics it looked like the tube had been cut down. I was prepared to be disappointed when it arrived.

The knurling has imperfections in several areas, you can only see them in side light. A seam is visible at one end, not a crack. The whole razor is slightly rough looking, not dinged, just imperfect. I believe this was one of the first made and they hadn't gotten the process fine tuned yet. Pic shows one of the longitudinal optical illusions from the imperfections in the knurling. Looks like a crack but isn't, turned a bit the lines disappear.

View attachment 807201

I read that all 1904 versions had a serial number and either PAT APL'D FOR or PAT NOV 15, 04 on the tube depending on whether it was made before October of 1904 or after. Problem is at least one account says the first 100 were sold in tin cases and only 51 were sold in 1903. How does that jive with this set?

Curious as to whether this one was ordered for personal use or to give to existing or potential business partners. The ribbon was made of the same material as the one underneath so it was installed in Chicago before shipment to Portland.

Below is a link to Everett Ames history in Portland where he moved from California in 1902. G. E. Ames was a member of the COC in Portland in 1903 so it is probably the same man. Everett Ames' brother, dad, and other family members used both first and middle names. I'm still looking for info on what the G stands for and if this is indeed the man on the ribbon. So far looks like it is.

History of Oregon

I found one other set like this one in a 5 year old post. More perfected, nicer font on the ribbon. Perhaps Mr. Ames ordered a replacement for the first one or ordered another to be given to biz partners. The one in the link below looks to be a bit improved version of the one I received.

"No Patent Date" Double Ring Help Needed

Still researching. Would be cool to find a connection between Gillette and Ames. Ames may have been an early investor in Gillette. Anyone have any extra info?

1903: First Teddy Bear, Ford builds first Model T car for the everyman, first flight by the Wright brothers at Kittyhawk. My how time flies as well. How the heck this razor set survived is beyond me.

ps. Sorry to be so long winded, but I get excited about historical items and their journey through time.

I read in one of the books on Gillette that he was known for having sent complimentary razors to prominent business men across the country, having found them in the "Who's Who" directories of the period. Perhaps this may be one....

It's a great classic Gillette, and more than special that you have some history of who it has shaved!

Cheers,
Kevin

I read in one of the books on Gillette that he was known for having sent complimentary razors to prominent business men across the country, having found them in the "Who's Who" directories of the period. Perhaps this may be one....

It's a great classic Gillette, and more than special that you have some history of who it has shaved!

Cheers,
Kevin

Thanks Kevin! Great information.

Picked these up today for $5 apiece. 1968 adjustable
1967 3 piece.

Attachments

• IMG_4743.JPG
    IMG_4743.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4744.JPG
    IMG_4744.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
And yes, I just ordered a Ming Shi adjustable, or something of that flavour, on eBay for USD 6.80 shipping included. Let's see if this is too good to be true.

Top Bottom