What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

The last couple of weeks will definitely go down as my best razor acquisition streak so far. I just doubled my miniscule "collection" with the addition of three beauties:

1 - From Kansas City, Missouri: 1969 O4 Black Beauty Short Handle
2 - From Brisbane, Australia: Early 1950s Brit Aristocrat #66, recently replated in Rhodium
3 - From Marthas Vineyard, Mass: 1955 A2 Diplomat

This morning the first one arrived at my doorstep. The Black Beauty. And it is indeed in superb condition, really impressed by the shine and the pristine black handle (what appears white in the pictures are merely shine from the photo). In terms of sheer looks, I always thought that the Super Adjustable would come in third after the Slim and Fatboy. But now I’m not so sure, it is really 60s cool looking. Can’t wait to try it out.

Incidentally, one of the reasons I like vintages is that they have lived a life before me somewhere else in the world. These three, when they reach me will have traveled at total of 18,000 miles to reach their new home. Quite amazing to think about…
I am over the moon with this addition. Happy days, yessir! :a5:

View attachment 777202 View attachment 777203 View attachment 777204
Congraats, I love my long handle SA. I need to find a short handle.

I'd like to try to use it with a shaving cream or soap they might have used. Any suggestions?
If he grew up in the US, he could have used Williams Mug Soap, available at your local pharmacy.

My dad was a cream guy, and mainly used Palmolive or Gillette creams, which you can get online these days.

Hi everybody! This is my first post on B&B.

I'm very new to wet shaving (got my Maggard Razors starter kit less than two weeks ago), and already I'm starting a collection. First up is a 1958 Gillette Super Speed. 1958 was the year my dad turned 18 and graduated from high school. Is there any shaving cream or soap that is still in production today he might have used back then?

full
Warm congratulations - and welcome, Sir! - That Flare tip of yours is a beauty, congrats.

I too am a newbie, 4 months into DE shaving (but been wet shaving for 30 yrs). And I started just like you, with a modern razor. Tried the Merkur 34C but that did not work at all - or maybe (probably:blush:) my technique was too poor. Anyway, soon I also discovered vintages and have fallen deeply (I say, DEEPLY, like manic deeply) in love and now have three and two more in the mail - it's addictive!

For your next one I could suggest you get an adjustable, a Slim for starters. I did.

Very high quality easy shaves, they’re mild if you want them to be and (most importantly) the adjusting is great for finding your preferred level. This means that you don’t have to go through several razors before you find the type of shave you really like. And there’s more! – Adjustables are amazingly beautiful, true icons of American industrial design with their simple and durable mechanics. When you are not shaving you can just sit and hold the razor, look at it and let the vintage DE bug really take hold :001_wub:. In short, owning a vintage Gillette adjustable makes you desperate to succeed with DE shaving as you feel you can never be without it again…

Someone else in here may definitely be able to answer your question on vintage soaps. I'm too young ;)

Enjoy!

collection.jpg

Last edited:
This week's acquisition (on the way) is the renowned Gillette Slim Ajustable razor. Hope it is as good as it appears in its photos. This is a bit of a roll of the dice, I think, but the seller has a good reputation. We'll see.

Oh yeah...major case of RAD here at this time with a new razor coming most every week.

I snagged a Single Ring Old Type on the bay the other day. It looks pretty ratty and has not been cleaned up by the seller which may explain why I got it at a nice number. No cracks and all the teeth look straight. I can't wait to get it so I can really give it a thorough cleaning, scrubbing and polishing. I'm show before and after photos once it arrives. I'm hoping it's a thin cap. Couldn't really tell from the seller's pictures.

I snagged a Single Ring Old Type on the bay the other day. It looks pretty ratty and has not been cleaned up by the seller which may explain why I got it at a nice number. No cracks and all the teeth look straight. I can't wait to get it so I can really give it a thorough cleaning, scrubbing and polishing. I'm show before and after photos once it arrives. I'm hoping it's a thin cap. Couldn't really tell from the seller's pictures.

I too hope it's a Thin Cap. :001_cool:

Although each one has its (her...:D) own character, in my experience they're among the most efficient shavers I've ever used... and sometimes the most comfortable and smoothest too!

I really learned the concept of "no pressure" when I first used a 1916 one...

Keep us updated and big congrats!

This week's acquisition (on the way) is the renowned Gillette Slim Ajustable razor. Hope it is as good as it appears in its photos. This is a bit of a roll of the dice, I think, but the seller has a good reputation. We'll see.

Oh yeah...major case of RAD here at this time with a new razor coming most every week.

I don't see anything strange there...:lol1:

I too hope it's a Thin Cap. :001_cool:

Although each one has its (her...:D) own character, in my experience they're among the most efficient shavers I've ever used... and sometimes the most comfortable and smoothest too!

I really learned the concept of "no pressure" when I first used a 1916 one...

Keep us updated and big congrats!

I'm already an Old Type fan. I have a US made and a Canada made Old Type, both Ball End handles. I'm curious to see if the Single Ring will shave any differently from the Ball Ends.

I'm already an Old Type fan. I have a US made and a Canada made Old Type, both Ball End handles. I'm curious to see if the Single Ring will shave any differently from the Ball Ends.

Oh, sorry! I definitely prefer SRs... can't explain why, they're more... the thing, if you follow me! Not that I don't like ball end handles....

For your next one I could suggest you get an adjustable, a Slim for starters. I did.

Very high quality easy shaves, they’re mild if you want them to be and (most importantly) the adjusting is great for finding your preferred level. This means that you don’t have to go through several razors before you find the type of shave you really like. And there’s more! – Adjustables are amazingly beautiful, true icons of American industrial design with their simple and durable mechanics. When you are not shaving you can just sit and hold the razor, look at it and let the vintage DE bug really take hold :001_wub:. In short, owning a vintage Gillette adjustable makes you desperate to succeed with DE shaving as you feel you can never be without it again…

Well, I myself graduated high school in 1980 and I'm thinking about a Super Adjustable from that year. I'm just wondering if they are hardy enough, given that they have plastic parts inside. Other than that, I'm looking for a 1903 double-ring Gillette 100, a single-ring 1905 100, and a 1919 Gillette model 102 or "big fellow"--razors might great-grandpas may have started with.

Thanks to suggestions from several here and to Google-fu, I have a Palmolive shaving stick, a tube of Ingram shaving cream lather, and a vintage puck of Williams mug shaving soap on their way. I'm still keeping my eye out for a vintage tube or stick from Colgate for shaving with that 1919 razor when I get it.

Well, I myself graduated high school in 1980 and I'm thinking about a Super Adjustable from that year. I'm just wondering if they are hardy enough, given that they have plastic parts inside.

I had my very 1st shave with my new Super-84 Adjustable just this morning. it's a '69, so I don't know if this is different from an ´80. But I don't think so, others definitely will know more but I seem to recall from reading somewhere that there is only plastic on the outside on the later versions, that on the inside the SA is identical to Slims? - My first impression is that it does not seem any less hardy than my Slim, only the handle is quite a bit lighter. I need to use it some more to determine what I think about that. It seemed fine though this morning.

Last edited:
I went in search of a ABC razor, but, sadly, someone had grabbed it already. I did find this, however--a 46-47 Aristocrat (I think) :001_smile. Other than one missing endcap, it is in great shape. I may send it off to get that endcap replaced. Maybe I can budget for sending one razor per year for a repair/replate. This one and my earlier 1930s Brit. Aristocrat would be first up.

20170322_140452.jpg
20170322_143939.jpg
20170322_144317.jpg

Top Bottom