What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
1958 Super Speed TV Special just out of its first bath in at least thirty years. Came out clean! Good price, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
That SS looks brand new!!! Nice!

I've got my first SS Flare Tip coming in the mail. It's a '64 and it should be here this Friday. My collection is young - I've only, so far, acquired a 40's-50's Tech, and 20's Old Type - but I'm really excited to be getting the Flare Tip!

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Nice scores, everyone! I must be content living vicariously through y'all as the girlfriend is coming for a vista for thanks giving. Lord, the razors one could buy for the price of a round trip plane ticket!

I've hunted in the wild before, but never had as successful of a hunt than I had a couple weeks ago. Small town antique mall that had a couple good vendor booths. Obviously no DE collectors had been by in many, many years. I picked up 4 of the best looking/rarer razors...but had to leave about a dozen for another day. $65 total for these 3 plus an Old Type. :biggrin1:

No idea if the the razor in the khaki set is original or not - but I guess I'd suspect so. Also has a cool little Apollo cigar cutter instead of the blade case.

$Tuckaway.jpg$Khaki.jpg$RangerTechLid.jpg$RangerTech.jpg

And here's the Old Type. Looks like an older, traditional Gillette case that I've seen before, but there's absolutely no remnants of any labeling on the inside of the lid. Odd with how intact the lining appears.

$OldTypeCase.jpg$OldType.jpg

I've hunted in the wild before, but never had as successful of a hunt than I had a couple weeks ago. Small town antique mall that had a couple good vendor booths. Obviously no DE collectors had been by in many, many years. I picked up 4 of the best looking/rarer razors...but had to leave about a dozen for another day. $65 total for these 3 plus an Old Type. :biggrin1:

No idea if the the razor in the khaki set is original or not - but I guess I'd suspect so. Also has a cool little Apollo cigar cutter instead of the blade case.

View attachment 691725View attachment 691726View attachment 691727View attachment 691728

And here's the Old Type. Looks like an older, traditional Gillette case that I've seen before, but there's absolutely no remnants of any labeling on the inside of the lid. Odd with how intact the lining appears.

View attachment 691730View attachment 691731

Good stuff man!!! Congrats! :thumbup:

View attachment 691725View attachment 691726View attachment 691727View attachment 691728

Awesome find! I haven't had a whole lot of luck antiquing yet, but I hope to find a place like you did, soon! Congrats!

I've got an identical travel kit. It's similar to a Hoffritz, I think, but there's no name on it.

How does it shave?

I've seen similar razors labeled Middledorf, Liliput, Optimo, DEFA, Cosmo, Hanott or Hannott-Extra, Rothstein, Klink (hammer lid), Myatt Daymark (English), Liebler, Enn Werke, Fraenkel,Merit, and Hoffritz. There are even more brands, but as you can see the list is extensive. All seem to be 4 piece with metal cases. I have no idea who the original manufacturer was on these razors, but it seems that someone wanted to get into contract manufacturing in a big way with these.

How does it shave?

I've seen similar razors labeled Middledorf, Liliput, Optimo, DEFA, Cosmo, Hanott or Hannott-Extra, Rothstein, Klink (hammer lid), Myatt Daymark (English), Liebler, Enn Werke, Fraenkel,Merit, and Hoffritz. There are even more brands, but as you can see the list is extensive. All seem to be 4 piece with metal cases. I have no idea who the original manufacturer was on these razors, but it seems that someone wanted to get into contract manufacturing in a big way with these.
It's a decent razor, about on par with the Gillette Old Type in feel (for me, of course YMMV). Not in my regular rotation nor is it in my travel kit.

Top Bottom