What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Beautiful!
From now on let's try to post all new acquisitions in this thread. That way everyone will be able to easily find them. :001_tt1: :drool:
With all the talk I thought I’d try this one out
C5A14C16-072D-4B38-BB0E-5EF55823D6C3.jpeg

Just got a 1960s gillette superspeed
Excellent!

Under the baseplate bottom, where the Gillette and Made In The US markings are, there should be a small capital letter and a number, between 1 and 4 stamped. They should be on either side of where the handle joins the plate.

This will give the year and quarter of manufacture.

I think i see a d and a 3
Made in 1958, in the period July - September. 3rd Quarter.

So you are in the 50's, more of a vintage than you may have thought. The 1940's-1950's are the golden age of TTO (Twist To Open) designs. You have a Flare Tip Super Speed.

Here is one from 1957, the previous year.
proxy.php

An excellent introduction to the wonderful world of vintage Gillettes!

Last edited:
My recent spend of about $25 USD on the 'Bay (shipped from Alberta, Canada) yielded a new member of my budding British invasion collection. It's an early 1950s Gold British Rocket with some very charming wear on the safety bars. I don't know if you can tell in the photo, but the gold plating on the contact surfaces of the safety bars is gone to reveal some nicely contrasting shiny nickel. The gold plating is in great shape elsewhere. I think I love it!

I measured the blade gap as 0.018" (precisely the same as my 1961 Tech). In fact, the effective geometry of the head on this Rocket looks to be exactly the same as my Tech. Oh, but the Rocket has the buttery British TTO mechanism. Am I right @Alum Ladd?

PXL_20221220_162518219.jpg

I'm pretty sure mine was part of a Canadian Rocket set like this one:

1953 (Y3 on blade) Gold Rocket Canadian Set.jpg

Last edited:
My recent spend of about $25 USD on the 'Bay (shipped from Alberta, Canada) yielded a new member of my budding British invasion collection. It's an early 1950s Gold British Rocket with some very charming wear on the safety bars. I don't know if you can tell in the photo, but the gold plating on the contact surfaces of the safety bars is gone to reveal some nicely contrasting shiny nickel. The gold plating is in great shape elsewhere. I think I love it!

I measured the blade gap as 0.018" (precisely the same as my 1961 Tech). In fact, the effective geometry of the head on this Rocket looks to be exactly the same as my Tech. Oh, but the Rocket has the buttery British TTO mechanism. Am I right @Alum Ladd?

View attachment 1575161

I'm pretty sure mine was part of a Canadian Rocket set like this one:

View attachment 1575163
That's perfect! I believe you are spot on there mg, basically a Rocket head, and I am guessing an aluminium handle? This may account for the slighly lighter outcome. The standard Rocket HD from this period should come in at 70gm. My Rocket with the standard nickel coating comes in a touch under 60gm. The gold plating may effect the weight, but I suspect it's an aluminum handled rocket.

Your handle looks slightly thinner and longer on the Canadian. That may be an optical illusion.
proxy.php

I am beginning to believe these are rarer than the 'standard' 70gm Rocket. Yours is finished in gold!

Superb score.

Last edited:
That's perfect! I believe you are spot on there mg, basically a Rocket head, and I am guessing an aluminium handle? This may account for the slighly lighter outcome. The standard Rocket HD from this period should come in at 70gm. My Rocket with the standard nickel coating comes in a touch under 60gm. The gold plating may effect the weight, but I suspect it's an aluminum handled rocket.

Your handle looks slightly thinner and longer on the Canadian. That may be an optical illusion.
proxy.php

I am beginning to believe these are rarer than the 'standard' 70gm Rocket. Yours is finished in gold!

Superb score.
Mine weighs in at 63 grams on my scale, just like the one in mr-razor's photo. I think the razor is all brass with a gold plate on top of a nickel plate. The handle doesn't actually feel light enough to be aluminium. The handle on the Gold Rocket is definitely thinner (0.379" diameter) than the one on my Rocket HD (0.445"). The TTO knob on the Gold Rocket is larger in diameter than the handle though at 0.412" in diameter. The Rocket HD's TTO knob is about the same diameter as its handle at 0.446" (I think due to slightly rougher knurling on the knob than on the handle).

Last edited:
Mine weighs in at 63 grams on my scale, just like the one in mr-razor's photo. I think the razor is all brass with a gold plate on top of a nickel plate. The handle doesn't actually feel light enough to be aluminium.
Or is it the gold plated version of this?
proxy.php

This is made in England with a Canadian case. It comes in at 63gms, exactly the same as yours..

Gillettes just grow more baffling!

Top Bottom