What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Got me the Timeless .96 OC in matte steel with the pineapple handle yesterday along with other goodies including an open comb plate for my Tatara Nodachi

1633715770795.png

You're welcome Sir. I use the LE regularly despite its' aggressive nature. It does a better job on my 4 day old beard than milder razors. The prototype rocks. There are 4: Black, gold/steel trim, steel, and steel/gold trim.

View attachment 1342117

Wow sounds like I would enjoy that razor. Unfortunately there way out of my price Range. Thank for the Reply and the picture. They Truly are a work of Art.

You're welcome Sir. I use the LE regularly despite its' aggressive nature. It does a better job on my 4 day old beard than milder razors. The prototype rocks. There are 4: Black, gold/steel trim, steel, and steel/gold trim.

View attachment 1342117
Truly a shame to see this project fall by the wayside. Whilst all 4 appeal to my magpie side, the steel with gold trim particularly appeals. Shame that so many use the internet to mount negative commentary when they wouldn’t say the same face to face!

Truly a shame to see this project fall by the wayside. Whilst all 4 appeal to my magpie side, the steel with gold trim particularly appeals. Shame that so many use the internet to mount negative commentary when they wouldn’t say the same face to face!
I am not giving up on the creator yet. Despite the insults heaped on the effort by critics who never laid hands on the razor one of the 51 Limited Edition revisions sold for $1,500 at auction. That boosted his spirits and he may have another go at it. I'm giving the steel and gold prototype a run tomorrow. My greedy acquisitive side hopes he makes no more so they will stay rare as hens teeth. My generous side wants him to succeed in selling hundreds if not thousands. Conflicted, I am.

I am not giving up on the creator yet. Despite the insults heaped on the effort by critics who never laid hands on the razor one of the 51 Limited Edition revisions sold for $1,500 at auction. That boosted his spirits and he may have another go at it. I'm giving the steel and gold prototype a run tomorrow. My greedy acquisitive side hopes he makes no more so they will stay rare as hens teeth. My generous side wants him to succeed in selling hundreds if not thousands. Conflicted, I am.
I owned one of the 51 but returned it with great sadness.

I generally prefer mild/moderate razors (the Blackland Tradere SB seems to be my ideal razor). With the Janus, I saw the opportunity to own the best of all shaving worlds. I would get a stainless steel well manufactured Toggle, a smooth shaver and if I dialed it up a super efficient razor for only very occasional shaves.

The reviews of the prototype were outstanding and I became a backer in the failed campaign and then a subscriber to the limited edition.

Eric was a gentleman through the entire process keeping the subscribers informed through the entire process where he had to deal with machine shop issues as well as covid related delays.

As far as I am concerned he only made one big mistake and that was modifying what would have been a great razor based on a few people who had never been involved with the prototype.

I hope the successful auction reenergizes Eric and he ultimately succeeds with improving one of the most iconic razors ever produced.

As far as I am concerned he only made one big mistake and that was modifying what would have been a great razor based on a few people who had never been involved with the prototype.
I did not know that. I assumed the revision requests came exclusively from those who had experienced the prototype. That explains a lot about why the LE is so different.

I did not know that. I assumed the revision requests came exclusively from those who had experienced the prototype. That explains a lot about why the LE is so different.
That was my understanding based on what I read on another forum from one or two of the prototype testers.

Received an Occam's razor the other day and took it for a spin.
View attachment 1341820
I wasn’t aware until a few days ago that they made a DE razor. How does it shave if you don’t mind my asking?

Three days three razors purchased. I was going to wait till the auction, but, still couldn't help myself from checking up on BST. A fine gentleman put up a Wolfman WR2 1.15 head and 3 minutes later I had already written. Within twenty minutes I had purchased my first Wolf. I will try it out on Wolfman Wednesday, but, it will be November before I really give it a work out. Now to put blinders on till the auction.
Well, that escalated quickly! Congratulations on the new acquisition.

I wasn’t aware until a few days ago that they made a DE razor. How does it shave if you don’t mind my asking?

Well, that escalated quickly! Congratulations on the new acquisition.
The Occam's will take some getting used to. I think my problem was focusing on the gimmick of the "glide bar" in the top cap. Got a couple weepers from it. I think I'd be better off ignoring it and relying on my experience.

RAD in all it’s forms (DERAD, SERAD SRAD) bit hard this weekend but I either upgraded razors I had (red tip) or found in the wild ones I didn’t have. I traded a brassed out SuperSpeed for the blue tip which was pretty beat up when found, and added a VC2 and a VC3 Auto Strop and a Star and upgraded my Red Tip and grabbed a Torrey straight razor project for a little under $30 bucks total as well as two pucks of vintage Colgate. I thought the Red Tip had been repainted, but the amount of crud and tea staining made me realize it was all original—it’s the stunner of the lot And the photo doesn’t do it justice. The blue tip ended up being in better shape than I thought but still had to completely disassemble it—it’s missing both end caps, so I’ll either sacrifice another razor, or wait to come across a lift rod with both end caps. I picked up the Star for the handle and the Auto Strops because I didn’t have examples, so I’ll have to either use the vintage blades with the punchouts or spring for some Feather SE blades to fit. Two more OCs to try and fit in time for OCtober.
1453FC80-A9EF-48D2-867F-76119A383C1F.jpeg
8C7BB3CA-7F83-4623-83D3-5C6511FE5B73.jpegA9C14704-8F4E-4E61-A44A-52CC38AECF92.jpeg

Top Bottom