What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

French Lot for EUR 26.50 - pre cleaning.
What have I got here?
Gibbs No. 14 in ok condition
Old Type with NO handle cracks stamped: Property US Army/ H125/04 / Pat. Nov.15.04 --> Can you educate me on this animal?
Made in England Fat Handle Flat Bottom Tech
Made in France Spiral Tech - not sure if this a mismatch
IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

French Lot for EUR 26.50 - pre cleaning.
What have I got here?
Gibbs No. 14 in ok condition
Old Type with NO handle cracks stamped: Property US Army/ H125/04 / Pat. Nov.15.04 --> Can you educate me on this animal?
Made in England Fat Handle Flat Bottom Tech
Made in France Spiral Tech - not sure if this a mismatch
View attachment 1285403
View attachment 1285404
View attachment 1285405
View attachment 1285406
View attachment 1285407

I have a Made in France Tech just like yours that I picked up in Paris a couple of years ago, so I would say it's not a mismatch.

2021-06-14 13.54.01.jpg

So this is a RFB?
What’s the difference aside from scarcity to a regular one or a Flat bottom?

The Hybrid Tech is the only Raised Flat Bottom with a solid bar that Gillette ever built. British made and rhodium plated in great quality - all making it the Rolls Royce of the Techs, heavier, shinier, smoother and (even) better shaving. Really feels like a different razor.

It was only made for a few years, hence it is quite rare and much sought after. IMHO is the most stealth high-end razor of all, and once you hold and shave with one you know what the fuss is about. The smoothest no-blade-feel razor I ever tried...

The Hybrid Tech is the only Raised Flat Bottom with a solid bar that Gillette ever built. British made and rhodium plated in great quality - all making it the Rolls Royce of the Techs, heavier, shinier, smoother and (even) better shaving. Really feels like a different razor.

It was only made for a few years, hence it is quite rare and much sought after. IMHO is the most stealth high-end razor of all, and once you hold and shave with one you know what the fuss is about. The smoothest no-blade-feel razor I ever tried...
Many thanks Peter! How does the regular Flat Bottom fare against a Pre War Fat Handle for instance?

Many thanks Peter! How does the regular Flat Bottom fare against a Pre War Fat Handle for instance?

I may not be the one to ask, Hannes. Most people love the Flat Bottom Tech but as much as I love ALL other Techs the Flat Bottoms just don’t like my face… My preference is the Hybrid Tech and then the post-war baseplates with the oval holes - love’m to bits :001_tt1:

Top Bottom