What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

I might have just bought another Vintage Gillette from eBay USA - I think I need my account suspended. I promised myself no more vintage razors until I can go hunting for them in the wild when Retail opens again here in the UK in the next weeks. Oh well no more until pay day now because my bank balance hurts lol

Here is a screenshot of the impulse buy. Case doesn't look great but the photos suggest the razor is in good condition. All in with delivery and those pesky import charges it was £75.25 which seems like a decent price to me - hope to get what I paid for it if I decide to sell it on

Screenshot_20210406-225651.png

Screenshot_20210406-230411.png

Nice! I almost bid on that but the shipping to Canada would’ve killed me. When the border opens and I can access my P.O. Box...well, yikes, in advance.

Nice score
I might have just bought another Vintage Gillette from eBay USA - I think I need my account suspended. I promised myself no more vintage razors until I can go hunting for them in the wild when Retail opens again here in the UK in the next weeks. Oh well no more until pay day now because my bank balance hurts lol

Here is a screenshot of the impulse buy. Case doesn't look great but the photos suggest the razor is in good condition. All in with delivery and those pesky import charges it was £75.25 which seems like a decent price to me - hope to get what I paid for it if I decide to sell it on

View attachment 1247616
View attachment 1247619

This is my first aquisition a Edwin Jagger DE89 Short Handle I got from Amazon for only £20 with a pack of Derby Extra blades

View attachment 1247565

Recently picked up 6 vintage Gillette razors. Here is one that arrived in the post that I have snanitized and gently polished with a soft brass brush

1958 Gillette Flare Tip Rocket

View attachment 1247566View attachment 1247567View attachment 1247568View attachment 1247569

While it has some plate loss here and there overall the condition is good. The doors do not quite open evenly but they do close tight and the blade gaps look even - yet to take it for a test drive but I plan to soon

Here it is next to my Merkur 39C slant which is my daily driver (I found the EJ DE89 way too mild)

View attachment 1247570
Not a Rocket. It's a 1958 US TV Special Super-Speed.

Nice! I almost bid on that but the shipping to Canada would’ve killed me. When the border opens and I can access my P.O. Box...well, yikes, in advance.

Nice score

It was "buy it now" at quite a low price assuming to sell quickly. At the moment GBP is riding a high vs. the US Dollar so even with carriage and import duty it was still a "reasonable" price

Not a Rocket. It's a 1958 US TV Special Super-Speed.

Thanks Ivan for identifying it - I wasn't quite sure if it was a SS because of the different pattern on the knurling so your post explains it.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I can go hunting for them in the wild when Retail opens again here in the UK
Good luck with that, I live in Cardiff and for years I have scoured charity shops, antique dealers, car boot sales, and even old barber shops across the UK. Other than Rolls razors, Victorian scuttles, and battered straights I have found nothing - obsoletely zero. No vintage razors, no Old Spice mugs, no soap, nothing. Everyone, even the charity shops, sell on the bay now at least in the UK. Anyway, most of the fun is in the seeking, not in the finding 👍

Good luck with that, I live in Cardiff and for years I have scoured charity shops, antique dealers, car boot sales, and even old barber shops across the UK. Other than Rolls razors, Victorian scuttles, and battered straights I have found nothing - obsoletely zero. No vintage razors, no Old Spice mugs, no soap, nothing. Everyone, even the charity shops, sell on the bay now at least in the UK. Anyway, most of the fun is in the seeking, not in the finding 👍

This is what Mrs FIFTY has been trying to tell me as she frequents charity antique and vintage shops - before they closed down anyway.

I think the attitude in the UK is a bit out because people have the impression that old safety razors are dirty/unhygienic and/or dangerous.

I was talking to my mother in law last weekend about these. After showing her the price of mint vintage Gillette razors she said to me with a semi horrified impression that she binned over a dozen of her deceased father's safety razors all of which still in their original cases because they thought they were unhygenic and had no value. Oh well I guess these things don't become vintage if they are not scarce.

kn4.jpg

A 1968 Knack. It wasn't expensive at all, and the shipping from a neighbour country was quite reasonable. It wasn't nice looking. Much cream and gunk on the head both inside and outside, even some on the handle. Rust both on the doors and inside. Turned out to be in almost excellent condition after celaning. I love those Knacks - the shave is so much better than the Super Slim Twists or the G1000, because of the exposure and gap. This Knack is my forth. Being in my late 40s, I think I am well stocked with Gillettes.
Oh, wait. A boxed Y2 Super Adjustable is arriving tomorrow afternoon with DHL Express. :lol:

I got out again today and hit a couple more flea markets. I ran across a silver 1922 New Improved, second New Improved in one this week. As you can see, it was marked $10 but when I got to the counter it was only $8.72 out the door. :001_302:

2021-04-07 10.51.18.jpg

Here it is about half an hour after I got home.

2021-04-07 17.48.44.jpg

2021-04-07 17.49.25.jpg

I still need to work on it a bit to get the tarnish out of the holes on the handle but I'm pleased that it turned out so well. It doesn't appear to have any plating loss, that I've seen anyway.

Last edited:
SA-y2.png

A Y-2 (1978) Super Adjustable. It wasn't cheap. I inspected it very closely and it looks like it has never been used. Even the inside of the plastic bottom plate is absolutely clean. The blades are Y-2 too. Unfortunately this is another case of mishandling. The razor has been dropped. One of the safety guards has been bent. I am not going to return it. Will just bend it back. I have done this with 2 adjustables and 5 non-adjustables.

D

dangerousrazor

Frankenrazor arrival today.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

It doesnt look franken razor to me. It looks like Conrad razor(or rebranded as Barbasol and other brands).One thing though. It is 2 piece razor. The base plate is attached on the handle and rotates to accept the cap. I think you need to put the base plate and handle together

454FC0AD-920D-45D0-AAF7-46230D455EB7.jpeg
4CAC567C-F884-463A-99BF-90619D0736E1.jpeg
6C724AF9-A9D8-42DD-9A8B-C2108F527BAC.jpeg

It doesnt look franken razor to me. It looks like Conrad razor(or rebranded as Barbasol and other brands).One thing though. It is 2 piece razor. The base plate is attached on the handle and rotates to accept the cap. I think you need to put the base plate and handle together

View attachment 1248942View attachment 1248939View attachment 1248940

No, it’s mismatched. It’s a Barbasol head, and a Gillette handle.

I’m aware of the two piece, but this isn’t one. The head may once have been, but not with that handle, and there is no collar. Here’s my Schaeffer version.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
D

dangerousrazor

No, it’s mismatched. It’s a Barbasol head, and a Gillette handle.

I’m aware of the two piece, but this isn’t one. The head may once have been, but not with that handle, and there is no collar. Here’s my Schaeffer version.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I thought the collar was broken off or something. This pic of yours clearly shows that the handle came from Tech Bakelite :)

Top Bottom