What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My holy grail razor came in today! I have another one coming soon that I’ll get replated to be absolutely perfect haha... omg my RAD just showed up? Or just leaving? Either way I’ll smile and waive nervously 😂
Beautiful work of art!

@bluesparkuk, congrats on getting your Timeless, a superb razor! Mailing the stand back isn't going to cost very much in postage. Wrap the stand in bubble wrap, put it in a small padded envelope or box, & you should be able to send it 1st class USPS for under $6 or $7.

Sorry you had that experience. I've always had very good interactions when doing business with Maggards.
i packaged it up and sent it back to them, it actually cost just over 10GBP to post it back to them, ive ordered 4 soaps from them and their going to send the bigger replacement stand to me in the soaps order, so all its really cost was the postage to return it,as the replacement will be sent in the postage cost for the soaps, had i kept it for my Feather AS D2 with the Timeless in the cheap Chinese stand, i would never have been happy, hence why i decided to return it for the bigger one👍🏼

Last edited:
It's been awhile since I've found anything worth posting here. The truth is, I really haven't been looking. Well, yesterday I stopped by my Barber to get a haircut. This is what I brought home.

2021-03-31 11.02.35.jpg

After cleaning and a light polish this is what I ended up with.

2021-04-02 19.50.43.jpg

2021-04-02 19.52.12.jpg

The other Slim and Fatboy cleaned up just as well but I gave them to a friend that works with my wife before the after shot. He's in his mid 20s and already has the wet shaving bug.

Nice haul! You got all that from the barber shop?
It's been awhile since I've found anything worth posting here. The truth is, I really haven't been looking. Well, yesterday I stopped by my Barber to get a haircut. This is what I brought home.

View attachment 1245615

View attachment 1245616

View attachment 1245617

The other Slim and Fatboy cleaned up just as well but I gave them to a friend that works with my wife before the after shot. He's in his mid 20s and already has the wet shaving bug.

Part of the reason I haven't been getting out much lately is the pain in my knees from arthritis has been getting so bad that I really haven't been able to. Three weeks ago yesterday, I had my right knee replaced. After the barber shop I was feeling pretty good so I thought I would stop by a couple of my favorite flea markets on the way home. I glad I did. The first stop, I found a 1917 Gillette pocket set in an Empire case. The second stop I picked up a nice 1921 New Improved Combination set. My understanding is this set with 2 blade cases was only sold in early 1921 and was somewhat uncommon. It was a good day.

2021-04-02 18.50.42.jpg

Great!
Is this your first Slim Adjustable? If so, I'd like to hear your opinion. Of the 3 most common Gillette Adjustables, this one is definitely my favourite.
Yes this and the Fatboy will be my first Gillette adjustables. They will have to wait until May though as I’m in a fixed setup for April. Until now the Progress was the only adjustable in my den.

My last razor ordered from the US. The upcoming EU customs law changes are definitely prohibitive. If I paid $11 for this razor + 10 for shipping, in 2 months it wiil be 11+10+roughly $10-12 fees and VAT. In the last 15 years I bought more than 25 Gillette razors from the US (some of them sealed in the package). Alas, there will be no more!
It is a 1951 Super-Speed in decent condition.

IMG_20210403_144434.jpg

IMG_20210402_134307.jpg

Yes this and the Fatboy will be my first Gillette adjustables. They will have to wait until May though as I’m in a fixed setup for April. Until now the Progress was the only adjustable in my den.

Interesting. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the Gillette Adjustable vs Progress. In my opinion the Progress is better, but then again I have very tough whiskers and to use the Gillette Adjustables I need to crank them up to the highest setting and use a very sharp blade.

i packaged it up and sent it back to them, it actually cost just over 10GBP to post it back to them, ive ordered 4 soaps from them and their going to send the bigger replacement stand to me in the soaps order, so all its really cost was the postage to return it,as the replacement will be sent in the postage cost for the soaps, had i kept it for my Feather AS D2 with the Timeless in the cheap Chinese stand, i would never have been happy, hence why i decided to return it for the bigger one👍🏼
I’m glad you’re able to return it. I’m like you, it would have bugged me if I had the wrong one.

I’m glad you’re able to return it. I’m like you, it would have bugged me if I had the wrong one.
yes it would defo have bugged me every time i looked at the Timeless on my shelf in the cheap Aliexpress stand then seeing another razer in the lovely Timeless stand, i just had to return it😁

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz

View attachment 1245615

View attachment 1245616

View attachment 1245617

Well done, Mike! Hope you are all well.

Part of the reason I haven't been getting out much lately is the pain in my knees from arthritis has been getting so bad that I really haven't been able to. Three weeks ago yesterday, I had my right knee replaced. After the barber shop I was feeling pretty good so I thought I would stop by a couple of my favorite flea markets on the way home. I glad I did. The first stop, I found a 1917 Gillette pocket set in an Empire case. The second stop I picked up a nice 1921 New Improved Combination set. My understanding is this set with 2 blade cases was only sold in early 1921 and was somewhat uncommon. It was a good day.

View attachment 1245632

Superb scores Mike, good to know your knees are better - sorry you have to go through this!

All the best/Peter

Well done, Mike! Hope you are all well.
Superb scores Mike, good to know your knees are better - sorry you have to go through this!

All the best/Peter

Thanks for the kind words Adam and Peter. I just got back from the doctor and he said everything looked great, about 8 weeks ahead of schedule. I figured if I felt like getting out and looking for razors after 3 weeks, I should be doing pretty good. :001_cool:

This is my first aquisition a Edwin Jagger DE89 Short Handle I got from Amazon for only £20 with a pack of Derby Extra blades

20210312_184305.jpg

Recently picked up 6 vintage Gillette razors. Here is one that arrived in the post that I have snanitized and gently polished with a soft brass brush

1958 Gillette Flare Tip Rocket

20210405_184850.jpg20210405_161105.jpg20210405_184822.jpg20210405_184834.jpg

While it has some plate loss here and there overall the condition is good. The doors do not quite open evenly but they do close tight and the blade gaps look even - yet to take it for a test drive but I plan to soon

Here it is next to my Merkur 39C slant which is my daily driver (I found the EJ DE89 way too mild)

20210406_163018.jpg

This is my first aquisition a Edwin Jagger DE89 Short Handle I got from Amazon for only £20 with a pack of Derby Extra blades

View attachment 1247565

Recently picked up 6 vintage Gillette razors. Here is one that arrived in the post that I have snanitized and gently polished with a soft brass brush

1958 Gillette Flare Tip Rocket

View attachment 1247566View attachment 1247567View attachment 1247568View attachment 1247569

While it has some plate loss here and there overall the condition is good. The doors do not quite open evenly but they do close tight and the blade gaps look even - yet to take it for a test drive but I plan to soon

Here it is next to my Merkur 39C slant which is my daily driver (I found the EJ DE89 way too mild)

View attachment 1247570

Nice - I do believe that this is a Super-Speed and not a Rocket though.. Does it say made in the USA?

Top Bottom