What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Can you detach the head of the hollow Tech? If not it’s a Psycho Tech missing it’s key.

no, the head can be detach. I think it's the know made in england tech for the french market. I've seen a few of these set lately both with hollow and standard handle. as they seems to belong more or less to the same period (late '40 i think) and I still don't understand why these set came with both handle styles. IMHO I don't belive that you can always explain situations like this with "mismatched set"

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
no, the head can be detach. I think it's the know made in england tech for the french market. I've seen a few of these set lately both with hollow and standard handle. as they seems to belong more or less to the same period (late '40 i think) and I still don't understand why these set came with both handle styles. IMHO I don't belive that you can always explain situations like this with "mismatched set"
Those are both beautiful examples my friend! Enjoy!

last week I received my first two techs. they both are french set.
the first one comes with a dark green case and an hollow fat handle while the second one with red case and "standard" fat handle.
View attachment 1239092View attachment 1239093View attachment 1239094View attachment 1239095View attachment 1239096
while cleaning the razors I noticed that the hollow handle is heavier than the standard one and I tested them on my lab scale: 32.6 gr vs 23.5 gr (heads have the same weight and handles have equal dimensions). obiously i've a poor knowledge about techs but this was a surprise for me.
ciao,
andy

Wonderful sets Andy - congrats. I myself love my French hollow handle Tech, but I have no case. Enjoy My friend!

I recently acquired this razor and the blades from my wife’s grandmother; they belonged to her late husband. I’m pretty sure it’s a new type (long comb?) but would appreciate if anyone more razor savvy than I could provide more information. If it has a specific model name, possible year(s) manufactured, etc. Thanks gents.

7FBE5FF0-4E1A-4A85-87B8-537DF25F1678.jpeg
B1C4ADEA-DC9B-4462-B37A-9C29E4DA87E6.jpeg
A1D8BC4D-29CF-4408-8C0D-A46D9FB7FACE.jpeg
C3C777CC-789C-4B46-9F48-54EAEA69989E.jpeg
B3FDC206-C454-4A4F-924C-DA28E2EE9983.jpeg

I recently acquired this razor and the blades from my wife’s grandmother; they belonged to her late husband. I’m pretty sure it’s a new type (long comb?) but would appreciate if anyone more razor savvy than I could provide more information. If it has a specific model name, possible year(s) manufactured, etc. Thanks gents.

View attachment 1239488View attachment 1239489View attachment 1239490View attachment 1239491View attachment 1239492

It is a NEW with a Common Bar handle but it's a short comb, not a long comb. The case is pretty rough but it looks like a Black & Red set, probably from 1934.

Picked up this beauty...

Between FFFMM and AFFCC I'm not going to be able to try it out for over 5 weeks anyway so I have time to tidy it up a bit.

The head needs a careful clean/polish (seen much worse though!) and the handle needs soldering if it's to last much longer (alternatively I have a Razorock UFO in solitary confinement and a couple of techs that could potentially donate theirs).

Still... The comb is straight and it'll be plenty usable once tidied up a bit.

20210322_171148.jpg

20210322_171204.jpg

20210322_171218.jpg

20210322_171235.jpg

After winning a bid on the bay for a lot of 4 Auto Stops (2 VB1s and 2 VC1s) on Saturday, my wife and I embarked on an antiquing weekend and hit several shops on Saturday where I struck out the first three shops before coming upon a GEM Jr. 1912 travel case (w/bakelite handle) at one place, a GEM Jr. 1912 with the bakelite baton handle at another and at the last stop, what can best be described as "nasty" metal plate Black Beauty rescue that I figured might clean up for $8 (I missed the 50% off sign, so $4 was worth the chance). Day 2, at a little country place, I stumbled on the aluminum handled black tip in the case for $10 and I was on the fence as I have a steel handled one, but then noticed the 50% off sign and said, "yes please."
D2067204-52DE-4FD5-A8FC-345D683619DE.jpeg

Picked up this beauty...

When you're on a roll...

Put in a polite yet pretty modest offer on another New type - seller accepted.

Not an RFB this time, I'm fairly sure from the pics and Mr Razor's database that I know what it is.

Again handle clearly cracked in seller photos, but that's not necessarily a problem - more importantly the teeth are all there and straight...
Plating looks basically all gone on this one, though it's hard to tell sometimes.

Both the one above and this second one have been bought to clean up and use or PIF, not horde or put on display.

Will upload some pictures when it arrives 🙂
(Not sure what the etiquette around reposting seller pics are?)

BubblesUK

I've bought a RFB #44 a month ago from the UK bay, but since the seller doesn't ship outside of the UK, I had to send it to a friend. Another one got sold a few days ago and it was in very good condition and also for UK only. I used to spend most of my time looking at the US vintage Gillette models, but now i'm mostly looking at the UK. There aren't that many models there, but somehow they really look better. Not sure if they are indeed better shavers though. I have to compare the RFB with my NEW LC to see if that's true.

Welp, I still don't know how to quote only the name lel.

Last edited:
Another one got sold a few days ago and it was in very good condition and also for UK only.

Indeed, being in the UK gives me plenty to choose from...🙂

Some go too pricey for me, but then a few go under the radar a little.

The RFB I bought was on the bay (UK obviously) a few days back and whilst the handle has seen better days the head is in good usable shape!

The one I bought today isn't going to win any prizes for looks, but it should clean up well

Last edited:
Top Bottom