What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Lookin’ good you two!

Mail call!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Damn!

I just received a Pre War Tech made in Canada. However, I do have one question if anyone way more experienced than me can answer. I have a US Pre War Tech as well. The Canadian one has a lighter cap. That seemed odd to me. I'm wondering if Canadian cap is made of a different metal.

When I do a drop test compared to my US Tech they do sound different. I know that's not the most scientific test, but if they were the same metal they should weight the same and sound the same when dropped. So my question is, are the Canadian caps suppose to be different than the US versions, or do I have a non original cap? If so I'm sending this thing back.

I posted pics, which probably don't help. You can see the caps. The less polished cap is the US version and the other is the Canadian one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 4191C9F0-E2FC-407A-8CDA-4EB3AEAE0D58.JPG
    4191C9F0-E2FC-407A-8CDA-4EB3AEAE0D58.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 003BDB8B-4F99-4FD0-97B4-BB802AF99942-3452-0000035B5F904765.JPG
    003BDB8B-4F99-4FD0-97B4-BB802AF99942-3452-0000035B5F904765.JPG
    1,004.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 1B6467FF-D9EC-4F3C-ABE1-2A152CB002F3 2.JPG
    1B6467FF-D9EC-4F3C-ABE1-2A152CB002F3 2.JPG
    364.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 8E8E09DE-D144-4414-89D2-E4D80BEFF8F2.JPG
    8E8E09DE-D144-4414-89D2-E4D80BEFF8F2.JPG
    300.5 KB · Views: 37
R

romsitsa

I just received a Pre War Tech made in Canada.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello, the one to the right (Canadian, if I’m correct) looks more like a zamak casting, but I’m not sure. It looks like a proper brass Tech cap, only the screw is too pointed and the inner surface is rougher than usual.
Weight them, if they have similar dimensions but there is a noticeable weight difference, then one is not brass.
I can’t answer the most important question, as “pre war” Techs should be all brass, but the military issue, contract, and black/gold ones had zamak parts, so it’s still possible that it’s zamak and matching.

Adam

I am not familiar with DE's to much so if you don't mind please tell me the proper name for this type of DE.

A friend gave me these two that were his Grandfathers and he new I could make use of them.
I know the Black handle Gillette is a Black beauty dated W1 so 73 first quarter I think.

The other in its own cool box says made in Canada. I know its a Gillette as its stamped with the logo but there is no date with it. Any Ideas?

proxy.php

proxy.php

Never seen these before,
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Cool box for the other type,
proxy.php
love the gay blade.

D

dangerousrazor

Some recent DE acquisitions. :)

The PAA Prismatic and the Wardonia (England) are not familiar to me.

RR Mamba 53 w/RR Ti Halo Handle
View attachment 1084838
View attachment 1084839

Star
View attachment 1084836
View attachment 1084837

PAA Prismatic
View attachment 1084834
View attachment 1084835

Wardonia (England) (left side)
Clix (right side)
View attachment 1084840
View attachment 1084842

Looks like I've got some shaving to do. :)

I am also interested in Wardonia after reading lots of compliments. Hope to hear your experience later :)

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Some recent DE acquisitions. :)

The PAA Prismatic and the Wardonia (England) are not familiar to me.

RR Mamba 53 w/RR Ti Halo Handle
View attachment 1084838
View attachment 1084839

Star
View attachment 1084836
View attachment 1084837

PAA Prismatic
View attachment 1084834
View attachment 1084835

Wardonia (England) (left side)
Clix (right side)
View attachment 1084840
View attachment 1084842

Looks like I've got some shaving to do. :)
I believe the Wardonia takes proprietary blades but that a standard blade is easily modified. There is an interesting resource here WARDONIA RAZORS - http://www.wardoniarazors.co.uk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I am also interested in Wardonia after reading lots of compliments. Hope to hear your experience later :)
I believe the Wardonia takes proprietary blades but that a standard blade is easily modified. There is an interesting resource here WARDONIA RAZORS - http://www.wardoniarazors.co.uk
Here's my modified blade in a Wardonia.

View attachment 1084899
Thank you all for the information regarding the Wardonia.

I'm looking forward to trying it as soon as I am done with the SE comparison I'm currently tackling. :)

Gettin' some razors together to shave the yak, huh? I'm in!

I've got.
1. A Japan-made clone of the Gillette Tech. It's about 85% the performance and 90% the quality of a real Gillette. Yard sale find years ago.
2. Assured (Dollar Tree brand) DE Safety Razor, butterfly opener, with a tuck of five blades. It's a mild shaver.
3. Another one of the Assured DE. This one can be overtightened, causing a door to pop off. It's a one-time fix with pliers.
4. 1960 Gillette Brass Ball End Tech. Thanks to a member here, it's my most historical razor. After a little polish, it's looking sexy.
5. Van Der Hagen butterfly (twist to open) razor. It doesn't have any branding on it, but it doesn't have the tooling marks either. This was a PIF.
6. Merkur HD 34C. This was a very generous gift from here on B&B. Very mild razor. I think it works great for me because I'm half German.
7. and 8. Muhle D89. A three-piece version of the Merkur HD 34C. It's just a tiny bit more mild than the Tech, but the weight of the razor lets it work for you.
The reason this is razor #7 and #8 is because I had a $43.79 Target gift card to spend and the razor was only $38.99. Then it was marked down to $21.
It was branded as Art of Shaving, and had no markings on the entire razor. But it's a Muhle D89 with a knurled handle. You also get a tuck of five Gillette Platinum blades with each Muhle.

Unrelated note, but neat to know: all of the parts for the three-piece razors featured here (Tech, Tech clone, Muhle D89) are completely interchangeable.

More razors!
#9. This was sent to me by a very thoughtful member here in a trade. Lord L6 with some Derby blades.
#10. 1952 Gillette SuperSpeed from a member here. I'm restoring it, and it's going to be awesome.
#11. A five-pack of Dollar Tree triple-blade disposables. I keep them in the bathroom for any visitors.
#12. An eight-pack of WallyWorld triple-blade disposables. These get distributed between the cars, backpacks, side of the bed, dopp bag, etc.

I successfully bid on eBay for a Gillette Milady Decollete and case from 1915. It arrived over the weekend and is in excellent shape as can be seen from the attached photos. The white plastic case, inside and out, is in near new condition except for the broken hinge on the case. The plating looks really good, so I'm guessing the original owner either didn't use it much or not at all. I'll never know, but maybe it sat in a drawer for decades unused. I got it for a very fair price, probably discounted because it was a woman's razor. Comparing it with my 1910 Single Ring, the Milady has a significantly shorter handle, but the head and comb look similar to my untrained eye. After a Barbicide soak, I plan to shave with it a couple of times and then put the Milady back into its case to admire. A bit of history to consider during this national crisis that is affecting the US and the world.Milady razor-a.JPGMilady razor-b.JPGMilady razor-c.JPG

I successfully bid on eBay for a Gillette Milady Decollete and case from 1915. It arrived over the weekend and is in excellent shape as can be seen from the attached photos. The white plastic case, inside and out, is in near new condition except for the broken hinge on the case. The plating looks really good, so I'm guessing the original owner either didn't use it much or not at all. I'll never know, but maybe it sat in a drawer for decades unused. I got it for a very fair price, probably discounted because it was a woman's razor. Comparing it with my 1910 Single Ring, the Milady has a significantly shorter handle, but the head and comb look similar to my untrained eye. After a Barbicide soak, I plan to shave with it a couple of times and then put the Milady back into its case to admire. A bit of history to consider during this national crisis that is affecting the US and the world.View attachment 1086396View attachment 1086397View attachment 1086400

Awesome set Jimmy. Looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom