What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

How do you like that London Barbershop croap? I love the stuff. It lathers better than most, and not only smells great, but has great protection and glide too. Thumbs Up on that and your new Muhley !
Great call sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love it. It smells great, lathers great and provides a smooth shave. I also love Maggard Razors lilac soap.

Thanks! [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mail call!

IMG_2337.jpg
IMG_2364.jpg

R

romsitsa

In going through my father's estate, I found some interesting items. Most notably a Gillette NEW short comb. It's in great mechanical shape though the finish is long gone. Some gold replating and it'll be good as new. Even old and beat up, it gave a great shave and I look forward to driving this one daily! Seems like an odd case compared to pictures I've seen online.

View attachment 1080215

I also found a beat up broken down 1967 Slim Adjustable that was buried loose in a toolbox for who knows how long (in separate drawers!!!???). I have a 1962 Slim adjustable that's been my daily driver for about 50 years now, as well as a fatboy and a few other old Gillettes, so this find isn't too heartbreaking, but it's still sad to see.
:c17:

The TTO Shaft is broken, the top of the head is separated from it. Is it possible that this can be repaired? Any suggestions on where to send it for repair?

View attachment 1080221

Hello, you will need a new center rod from a Slim or Black beauty. The original could be hard soldered or welded, but I fear the brass is pretty weak where the head sheared off and it’s also heavily twisted.
I’d keep it for spare parts.

Adam

Hello, you will need a new center rod from a Slim or Black beauty. The original could be hard soldered or welded, but I fear the brass is pretty weak where the head sheared off and it’s also heavily twisted.
I’d keep it for spare parts.

Adam
Good eye, I didn't even notice the twist. With that it's probably not worth repairing. Thanks for the reply!

Received these 2 in March from Flying Dutchman but only clean and get it ready for use just before the weekend..
Gillette British RFB #88 - right
Gillette Empire Goodwill- Left
Before and after..cleaning..
20200329_174723.jpg
Gillette British RFB #88 before & after...
20200329_174914.jpg

20200329_174832.jpg

20200330_012308.jpg
20200329_175315.jpg

Gillette Empire Goodwill before & after
20200329_180654.jpg

20200329_180353.jpg

20200329_180115.jpg

Shaved with Goodwill on Sat 4th..quite enjoyed it..
Shave with RFB on Sun 5th...really comfortable...

I am not familiar with DE's to much so if you don't mind please tell me the proper name for this type of DE.

A friend gave me these two that were his Grandfathers and he new I could make use of them.
I know the Black handle Gillette is a Black beauty dated W1 so 73 first quarter I think.

The other in its own cool box says made in Canada. I know its a Gillette as its stamped with the logo but there is no date with it. Any Ideas?

proxy.php

proxy.php

Never seen these before,
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Cool box for the other type,
proxy.php

Received these 2 in March from Flying Dutchman but only clean and get it ready for use just before the weekend..
Gillette British RFB #88 - right
Gillette Empire Goodwill- Left
Before and after..cleaning..
View attachment 1082918Gillette British RFB #88 before & after...
View attachment 1082921
View attachment 1082922
View attachment 1082930View attachment 1082923
Gillette Empire Goodwill before & after
View attachment 1082927
View attachment 1082928
View attachment 1082929
Shaved with Goodwill on Sat 4th..quite enjoyed it..
Shave with RFB on Sun 5th...really comfortable...

Nice to see that these made it all the way to Malaysia. I would love to know more about the Gillette logo on the #88 RFB handle.

I am not familiar with DE's to much so if you don't mind please tell me the proper name for this type of DE.

A friend gave me these two that were his Grandfathers and he new I could make use of them.
I know the Black handle Gillette is a Black beauty dated W1 so 73 first quarter I think.

The other in its own cool box says made in Canada. I know its a Gillette as its stamped with the logo but there is no date with it. Any Ideas?

proxy.php

proxy.php

Never seen these before,
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

It's vaguely visable but it's an Richwood set. Based on the code on the baseplate you should be able to date it.

7A3A056F-BFA5-4A48-9ACD-E9621CAEE291.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a very nice set!!
Thank you, I don't see a date code like a typical Gillette though.
There is a number underneath the "cap" 15911 z I think. The z I'm not 100% on but looks like it.
What do you call this type of razor... 3 piece?

That is a very nice set!!
Thank you, I don't see a date code like a typical Gillette though.
There is a number underneath the "cap" 15911 z I think. The z I'm not 100% on but looks like it.
What do you call this type of razor... 3 piece?

That is a 1921 with that serial from Canada. This razor is a Gillette New Standard. I’d reference it as a Richwood due to the set, though. I could be mistaken on the last part. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you very much for the help!
How does the number contribute? 15911. I don't see a reference to numbers in the 1921 column.

With the USA making more than 800,000 serialed razors in 1921 (serial 1A, 2A, 3A, etc. through 863,912A) , I strongly suspect that Canada made more than 16,000 (1Z, 2Z, 3Z, etc.) serialed razors in 1921. Your serial is low at 15,911Z

Last edited:
I acquired this 'Cooper' Razor! It is about 2 Oz total weight where the handle is about 1 Oz and it is about 85mm long. The metal is very light but doesn't look like Aluminum. Any help in identifying this razor is much appreciated. Here are the pictures! I plan to shave with this tomorrow and update the results.

Sorry for the late response. The regular DE blades will not fit correctly. I somehow forced Gillette 7' O Clock and had a very close shave. I think Cooper razors will accept only Cooper blades. Anyhow, this has given a comfortable and close shave!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Never seen these before,
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I got these cleaned up today,

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php