What's new

Safe to use a gas stove without the burner cap?

There's the question! I've just discovered the jet flame I can get when taking off the burner cap and it'd be perfect for wok cooking. I don't know why I've never tried that before, but is it safe? My gut says yes, but I thought I'd ask. Can't forsee anything setting on fire or exploding :laugh:

Might seem great but not a good idea as it can produce more carbon monoxide as the flame isn't directed evenly through the burner cap and you may have a more floppy yellow flame, you will probably find more soot deposits on the base of the wok than normal, unfortunately I would have to disconnect the cooker from the gas supply if I came across one like that on one of my jobs as a gas/heating engineer. Safety first as always:001_smile

The burner cap acts as a mini hot plate to redistribute some of the heat to the center so you get even heating when using western cookware. It should work fine either way. The thing is though with a wok you want zoned heat with most of the hot part in the center so you really need the opposite of what you are doing to the burner.

It's a hot blue flame, but thanks for the warning!
No problem, does it stay blue with the wok on it out of curiosity? Regardless of that, it would officially be classed as 'Immediately Dangerous' and capped from the gas supply as per the Gas Safe Regs, might seem drastic but it's a gas appliance not running as the manufacturers intended, looks more manly I guess but not good:biggrin1:

Ever seen proper wok burners? They're like jet engines! I just want to maximise the intensity of the flame and having it hit the bottom directly rather than going up the sides seems closest to replicating the effect of a propane wok burner. If it's unsafe though maybe I should find an alternative, but it stays blue when it hits the wok. I'll post a couple of pictures when I get chance

Ever seen proper wok burners? They're like jet engines! I just want to maximise the intensity of the flame and having it hit the bottom directly rather than going up the sides seems closest to replicating the effect of a propane wok burner. If it's unsafe though maybe I should find an alternative
Yeah the wok burners are really powerful, but they are designed to be like that. The caps also stop food, grease etc getting in the injector and causing a blockage or partial blockage which can then lead to further issues with ignition and incomplete combustion( more bad fumes)
Not trying to sound OTT, just explaining the official UK regs for the situation:001_smile

Nah I understand mate, I appreciate the expertise
No probs once again, safety is our main priority.
Sometimes you get a mouthful from a customer when you have to say you must disconnect a boiler or cooker because it is dangerous, only had to call the gas emergency services as a last resort once in 14 years when a customer refused to have their boiler disconnected after me trying to get them the agree for half an hour, they turned up and disconnected the gas in the street and billed the customer as well!! I can usually get someone to understand the seriousness of the situation and it is only for their safety, but you still need a lot of patience and a thick skin sometimes.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Many portable butane stoves that are rated for indoor use have higher output than common gas ranges. I see Iwatani has some at 12,000 and 15,000 BTU.

In the business also, you will find running like this the burner base and injector is subject to higher heat than it normally would be. Potentially you can have warping of burner Assy, melting of burner assy/injector. Heat can be conducted to other components that normally would not (and not designed to) be exposed to this higher temperature. I have seen many times aluminium feed tubes melt and gas valves melted or otherwise damaged leading to gas escaping inside your appliance and fire. Even in commercial catering appliances, if not installed maintained or used correctly tragedy can result.
i also would remove your appliance from supply if I came across it.
my most recent example is a commercial griddle plate, 2 months old, Installed nearby was a aircon vent for the chefs comfort, as it turned out however it was also blowing down on the griddles flue vent preventing from correctly venting. As a result heat/flame was forced to the front of the appliance melted componentry and the resultant gas leaks caused a fire that destroyed the appliance.
this was a freak event that wasn't immediately obvious as to what was the cause, and no one could've pre empted what was going to happen.
you get no second chances with gas

Last edited:
Top Bottom