What's new

safe to submerge a Gillette Slim adjustable safety razor for cleaning?

No fear. I even boiled one once for 10 minutes, after many soaks in various detergents.

I'm glad you posted this. I've never boiled a razor and it's good to hear from someone who has done it.

When I first started visiting shaving forums back in the olden days, the recommended way to clean a “new” old razor was to boil them. I’ve done it to dozens of razors, including adjustables, and never had a problem. YMMV. It’s great for getting the gunk off. I also pressure cooked a couple. I’ve run ‘em through the dishwasher, too, to get the soap buildup off them after using them for a while. (I hear gasping). So they can take quite a bit in the way of cleaning.

I recently won a slim adjustable on the bay. H3/1962. The first thing I did was soak it in Dawn dishwashing liquid and hot water from the tap (we keep our water pretty hot). Soaked it for about 20 to 30 minutes, scrubbed it down with a toothbrush and then dried and polished it up with a soft cloth. Looks new. And it has turned out to be one of my favorite razors. Go ahead and soak it.

Hi guys,

I am trying to disassemble slim. I have seen videos, and threads, however I am stuck at trying to get t shape rod out.
I have removed retainer ring and spring. After unscrewing tto knob, rod would go out for cca 2 centimeters. But it won't go past this.
I already soaked it in hot soapy water (it has been submerged for 12 hours. Nothing helps.

The reason I'm doing this is that the rod is crocked and I have a spare.

Thank you
proxy.php

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

R

romsitsa

Hello,

it gets stuck sometimes, I suspect the square opening in the knob will gunk up. Soak it more, move (wiggle, shake, etc.) the knob and Tbar, it will come apart sooner or later. If nothing else helps, use some force to pull out the T bar.

Adam

Hi guys,

I am trying to disassemble slim. I have seen videos, and threads, however I am stuck at trying to get t shape rod out.
I have removed retainer ring and spring. After unscrewing tto knob, rod would go out for cca 2 centimeters. But it won't go past this.
I already soaked it in hot soapy water (it has been submerged for 12 hours. Nothing helps.

The reason I'm doing this is that the rod is crocked and I have a spare.

Thank you
proxy.php

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Perhaps this will help.
Gillette Slim Disassembly/Reassembly w/ before and after photos

Top Bottom