What's new

Safe nib smoothing

Mike H

Instagram Famous
[FONT=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]I purchased a Ratnamson Supreme Ebonite last year from India. The pen is huge, eyedropper filling, actually I can pour an entire Goulet sample bottle in it with room to spare. Anyway, I felt it could use a little nib smoothing. Not looking for anything extreme, I spent a few minutes on the end of a [/FONT][FONT=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]legal[/FONT][FONT=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif] pad. I had to clean the fibers out of the nib every so often, but felt it made big difference in how smooth it wrote.

Are there other safe methods of nib smoothing?

[/FONT] $001.jpg

And they sell Thayer's Witch hazel . . . get the lemon one . . . your face will thank you. I assume it is ok for our other hobby, shaving, to make the occasional appearance here in Penville?

Without the other hobby we'd all be at FPN than at the Nib, so I'm sure no one will look unkindly. Thanks for the recommend. Until about 3 months ago, I didn't even know there were different quality brands of WH. Will definitely check it out when I'm in that part of town.

Without the other hobby we'd all be at FPN than at the Nib, so I'm sure no one will look unkindly. Thanks for the recommend. Until about 3 months ago, I didn't even know there were different quality brands of WH. Will definitely check it out when I'm in that part of town.

Definitely worth it, IMO

Usually it's the nib alignment, I'll assume you checked that closely with a loupe.

Then micromesh 10,000. Nibs dot com --> http://www.nibs.com/Article6.html

Thank you for mentioning the nib alignment. I am new to the use of FPs and have EF nibs on a TWSBI 540, a Cross Century II, and a Safari Al-Star. The TWSBI was silky smooth out of the box, but the Lamy and Cross were very scratchy, particularly the Cross. Some time writing on a brown paper bag has helped but I will check the nib alignment. Thanks for offering this tip.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
And they sell Thayer's Witch hazel . . . get the lemon one . . . your face will thank you. I assume it is ok for our other hobby, shaving, to make the occasional appearance here in Penville?
I pop over there every now and again, but so far this site suits every need, except for political discussion. Of course, I am glad we don't have that here, it gets ugly some times.

FPN is almost information overload and the people here know what they're talking about and I like the tighter-knit community here.

I do like the Sheaffer sub forum there but it makes me want an oversized Balance Vac and that is dangerous.

*As to nib-smoothing, has the OP tried anything yet?*

I like the tighter (-knit) community here.
?*
It's all those trips to the liquor store for bags. Remember the importance of hydration.

But seriously, from a non expert. Fine and Extra Fine nibs seem to be naturally scratchier, maybe because they are more "pointy". I use a dissecting microscope for nib checking, not too convenient, but I have have it on the desk so...

Top Bottom