What's new

Safe hone storage?

Since I’ve owned sharpening stones I’ve lived in an apartment, but am now in the process of buying a house which has a detached shop. In Oregon, where we don’t get the harshest winters, I was wondering how safe it would be to keep them out there? Does anyone have words of advice or personal experience? It’s 20x30 with power but no heat or insulation

I had a 24x12x3" slab of Cnat I left at my folks house. Went to get and use it one day and couldn't find it. My mother had put it outside to use as a paving stone. It had split... from getting wet and freezing I think. It's not impossible for weather/temperature changes to damage stones, but it is unlikely.

I would keep them in the house. Fluctuation in temp. depending on how they are stored can cause humps and dips and if they get wet and freeze they might crack.
If you need water to hone are you bringing a bucket to the garage each time? Clean up becomes an issue as well.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Don’t let them freeze if they’re wet. If they’re perfectly dry, they’ll likely be OK.

Stones with any moisture in them should not be exposed to freezing temps. Wet stones should not be left in direct sunlight, or in a place where they will dry too fast or too slow. I imagine that extended extreme temps could possibly affect binders in synthetics. Swings in relative humidity could feasibly be detrimental also.
Lets say its February and you want to hone, and the stones are outside in freezing cold. Honing with wet stones in freezing temps seems unlikely. Will you bring the stones in to warm up so you can hone and then dry them out 100% so you can put them back outside? I hone too often for that to even be a remotely realistic consideration. But it might work for some people I guess.

Top Bottom