What's new

Safe Deposit Box Alternatives?

I live in an assisted living building where we have been "detained" since last March except for absolutely medical necessity. Some of our valuables, "treasures" and legal papers are in safe deposit boxes at a bank which is now only open from Monday through Friday. While my son has authority to access these boxes, he works Monday through Friday, and can only go to the bank by getting time off from work. Other than attempting to find a bank with safe deposit boxes that is open on Saturdays, can anyone think of an alternative? I can't get out to shop for a safe, and even if I could I don't know what I could get into the apartment. Doesn't need to be very large, but needs to be heavy enough not to move easily (get stolen) easily. Are there places with 24-hour lock boxes?

John, what you are looking for is private vault storage. There are some companies around the country that offer this service. Most of these offer 24-hour access. However, it can be more expensive than a bank and your location may not have one nearby.

My parents used one in Florida and I know of some in Las Vegas and southern California.

John, what you are looking for is private vault storage. There are some companies around the country that offer this service. Most of these offer 24-hour access. However, it can be more expensive than a bank and your location may not have one nearby.

My parents used one in Florida and I know of some in Las Vegas and southern California.
Thank you,ackvil. I did find one of those near me (I think because they don't advertise their exact location). And they do look very expensive. I am and have been happy with my bank, but it is the not being able to get out of my building and going there that is the real problem. I think I will look into something for in-home use, though that would mean giving up a security advantage that the bank has.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Tough situation. It’s probably one of many ripple effects of this whole situation. Maybe you could investigate bolting a smaller safe down as one alternative.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This has been something that I never imagined being a problem for me. Until Covid.

When it first came I had some issues around tax time, as our bank was only doing drive thru services, and inside access was limited to Monday, Wednesday, Friday, by appointment.

I hope you get a solution soon John.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Tough situation. It’s probably one of many ripple effects of this whole situation. Maybe you could investigate bolting a smaller safe down as one alternative.
This would be my solution, as much as I dislike it.

Maybe I am being optimistic, but with the vaccine rollout, I would expect that you and others in your building who are physically able will be allowed out and about soon. Without triggering extra quarantining. Surely this lockdown situation will begin to improve in a few months for your community, if ever. All the best to you.

I saw a reddit post where someone suggested some UPS stores have safety deposit boxes. Also, some self-storage places have small lockers for rent. Sorry, but I don't know the costs.

Top Bottom