What's new

safe blade disposal/recycling

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
AC5869A4-6EF8-4D1C-99D1-96CB9ACF0C5A.jpeg
F9ECF42D-119F-488E-8A4D-5C6CD00A1BC3.jpeg

My blade bank of choice. I will probably never fill it but you never know. When it gets full I will take it to the tip and see if it is actually recyclable or not. At the moment here razor blades are not recyclable. You can put them in the sharps containers at work buy then they are sent to an industrial incinerator.

I watched a program a while ago where renovators went into an old building. They found piles of used blades inside one of the walls where they said there would have been a disposal slot at one time.
I'm old enough to remember medicine cabinets with the blade drop. My nephew is young enough to remember open it up.

I use a plastic container for disposal of blades and needles, I buy in the bay

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 11

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I have a magical Altoids tin. I’ve been putting blades in it for 5yrs and after it hit 1/2 full it never seems to get any fuller. I’m convinced that when I add a blade and shut the lid a portal to another time or place opens and transports one blade out of the tin always keeping the number of blades in the tin the same.

I've always used an old mint tin. Those things are so useful I sometimes buy the mints only to be tossed.

In theory anyway, razorblades are decent-ish steel. A decade ago, I tack-welded a stack of used ones together with the intention of recycling them the old-fashioned way with a hammer and fire, but never got much past that step. I may try again someday.

The blades aren’t accepted in our recycling system in my community in Michigan. I use Altoids tins, then duck tape them shut and put in the trash when full.

I have lots of old nails and other small pieces of metal that I save for scrap metal that I sell back ( I don’t think our local recycling would take this type of scrap). I mix them in with these, Here’s what I have put them in the past:

Metal paint can.

One gallon or quart metal fuel can. This involves cutting the top back some to get in the old metal scraps.

BTW: I remove staples from magazines that I shred, I also throw in these.

Having a look on Google, it seems most advise here to take to recycling. Looks like Gillette have a free recycling service too, where you order a prepaid envelope and send them back to terracycle.

I know our pharmacies give free sharps bins for syringes, so I’m sure that’s still an option for anybody who’d prefer to do it that way here in Britain.
I just found out about this Terracycle program and it is great! There are many household products in this program, including Brita and Gillette. Even though it has "Gillette" in the title, it accepts all brands of razors and packaging Cartridges, disposal razors, plastic or metal razor tuck boxes, etc. You go to terracycle, establish an account, search Gillette, and click print a mailing label. The mailing labels are free on some programs (Brita included), I am not sure about Gillette. This is especially good news to those of us who might like a particular brand of Blade (e.g. Feather), but had decided not to purchase it anymore due to the plastic packaging.

1000001703.jpg
1000001701.jpg

My DIY Blade Bank. I was reading a thread about DIY Blade Banks and went to make a cup of tea. As I emptied the last leaves of tea out of its container, the 'light bulb' switched on and I thought, this will make a great 'Blade Bank'. I have 4 of these containers, so I doubt I'll need another for a long while. I also have 2 commercial Blade Banks purchased from Italian Barber. So, I have backup.

b/r

ON_1

Top Bottom