What's new

s. r. consortium

I remember when I was new, I asked questions here and got answers here.
Directions from members here to find said supplies always lead to the suppliers.
None of the reasoning behind the proposed FB marketplace seems logical.

What were the things that could not be found?
What was the information that could not be found?

Honestly, none of the tools or supplies we use for this hobby are unfindable or so complex that reading about them or looking for them takes a lot of time and energy. As for info, every single question I have ever asked on this board has been answered quickly. For that to work though, one has to be comfortable asking for help. Those that aren't, will seek things like a FAQ section, not realizing that a static and stale database of canned responses pales in comparison to getting fresh info from 10-12 people who are in the mix of things right now.

With razor restorations, patience is key, and asking for help is also key. Effort is hugely key.
Trying to eliminate the need to ask questions and read answers, might (probably will) lead to a lot of frustration.
A FB marketplace isn't going to change the learning curve or the need to rely on people with a minute or two more time in the game.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
what videos do you recommend for honing with synthetics? I found so many. I'm not sure which ones to believe? I was sure synthetics was the way to go but it's probably better to go natural but easier with synthetics? get my mind off the consortium and back on to razors LOL
Not a video, but sort of a master thread linked to several sub-threads that make up a system of honing called "The Method". This is almost exactly how I personally hone, but it is mainly presented for the benefit of newbies. The idea is to present a paint by the numbers set of instructions with all guesswork, subjectivity, and creativity eliminated from the process, so that if one simply follows instructions exactly in every detail, with zero departures from it, no omissions, additions, or substitutions, a great edge should be achievable on the first go, a really great edge on the second. It's not the only way to get a good edge but it is the quickest to "learn", since there is no real learning involved, just following instructions without question or doubt in the process. It is also one of the cheapest ways to hone. EVERY question you might reasonably ask about honing in this style is in the thread or the linked threads. All you have to do is read, from beginning to end, as well as all the links in the thread. It is a lot of reading, I must admit. Much of The Method has evolved and changed since its conception, so it is important to read all, so you miss nothing. The method allows use of film, synthetic stones, or sandpaper for bevel setting, and film or synthetic stones for the progression, and backed, lapped, and pasted balsa for post-finish and edge maintenance. Naturals "can" deliver stunning edges, but there is a learning process involved. The Method is designed to work right out of the box. Many beginners on this forum have began honing with The Method, and once they mastered it, moved on to more challenging or interesting honing methods and tools.

Newbie Honing Compendium - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/newbie-honing-compendium.545370/

If you are the type that always wants to put his own spin on things and do his own thing, The Method will not work very well for you. It works by removing choice, not presenting or allowing choices. Leave all that for after you get your first science fiction sharp edges on your razors. If you want the results that I get or other "Methodistas" get, you have to do it the way we do it. Do it different, and you get different results. Maybe good results, but different. And you will have to go through that "learning" process.

Here is a vid for you. Not a honing vid, but a shaving vid, showing how the cheapest usable razor made today can deliver a very smooth and comfortable shave with ease and efficiency, if you put a Method edge on it.

I think this thread is running out of steam. @Gamma states, "Effort is hugely key". And that is the total answer to this thread. You have to work for what you want. The idea of a consortium, as suggested, is typical of a growing trend in the U.S. to have everything laid at our feet without having to work for it.

@neiasden has reached out to @Slash McCoy for advice and that is a start.

I think this thread is running out of steam. @Gamma states, "Effort is hugely key". And that is the total answer to this thread. You have to work for what you want. The idea of a consortium, as suggested, is typical of a growing trend in the U.S. to have everything laid at our feet without having to work for it.

@neiasden has reached out to @Slash McCoy for advice and that is a start.
I think, growing trend, was a key comment. if it's growing there must be something to it?. furthermore, I see nothing wrong with ease over difficulty

if someone can delete this thread that would be great. I really wasn't planning on defending the actual post, comment or don't is how I thought it worked?

but thanks for all the input. it's pretty clear that no one is interested, and that is fine with me. no one seems interested in my virtual shaving device either. go figure?

II have not even seen some of these comments until today. I have an old phone that doesn't display everything right for one. and I miss some stuff just simply because of my disability. but I completely agree with you but that was never what I was looking for. there was a time before I knew forms existed, it was just something that ran through my head. I didn't expect all this commotion. I know I can find all the answers I'm looking for here. but sometimes by the time I get it I have moved on. but I have not even insinuated that this isn't a great forum
I remember when I was new, I asked questions here and got answers here.
Directions from members here to find said supplies always lead to the suppliers.
None of the reasoning behind the proposed FB marketplace seems logical.

What were the things that could not be found?
What was the information that could not be found?

Honestly, none of the tools or supplies we use for this hobby are unfindable or so complex that reading about them or looking for them takes a lot of time and energy. As for info, every single question I have ever asked on this board has been answered quickly. For that to work though, one has to be comfortable asking for help. Those that aren't, will seek things like a FAQ section, not realizing that a static and stale database of canned responses pales in comparison to getting fresh info from 10-12 people who are in the mix of things right now.

With razor restorations, patience is key, and asking for help is also key. Effort is hugely key.
Trying to eliminate the need to ask questions and read answers, might (probably will) lead to a lot of frustration.
A FB marketplace isn't going to change the learning curve or the need to rely on people with a minute or two more time in the game.

Top Bottom