What's new

S.K. Colling Straight Razor (AKA Prosperine Razor Co.) Review

I finally decided that even though it shaved well, it could be better. I sent it off to my local honing master and he put an edge on it using some antique fancy Japanese stones. This thing will nearly split atoms, now. The shave is even better, and it is what I hoped. This razor is so stable and so comfortable to use that it inspires confidence to try things I've not done, or perhaps didn't dare do, before. Two passes and a short touch up on the jaw and I'm getting very near BBS shaves without effort. Maybe it is that slight horizontal stabilizer/belly that Colling ground into it. Whatever it is, this is by far my favorite razor of those that I possess. If I had to say in one word something that would describe this razor, it would be comfort.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Hmm, all this talk is making me think that I might need to get myself a Colling as well 😂
You won't regret it. He has some readymade and will also do a custom to your specifications - all for about the same price. You will be looking at about USD 150± plus shipping.

I'd say you wouldn't regret it. My razor is just beautiful to behold and it shaves as good as it looks. Tell him we said 'Hello.'

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Did you go through the 0.5, 0.25 first or straight to the 0.1u?
Go through the full progression, 0.5μm, 0.25μm, 0.1μm and 0.1μm hanging. It's all in the instructions here:

Don't forget the short X strokes. They make the edge noticeably more comfortable to shave with.

Once all done, you can maintain the edge on 0.1μm hanging after each shave and that edge will never need honing again.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Yes, Dion at DC Blades in Gladstone, Queensland, has a good reputation. Unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of holding one of his SRs.

Yes, Dion at DC Blades in Gladstone, Queensland, has a good reputation. Unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of holding one of his SRs.
He’s made a couple razors for a mate of mine also who was really happy with how they turned out also. Definitely recommend

My new Steve Colling razor.

I was intrigued by the positive posts on Badger&Blade about Steve Collier's razors. I contacted him and exchanged a series of emails concerning what I was interested in and what he could provide. I commissioned him to make me a razor.

I was particularly drawn to his blades shaped like the Whacker Chevalier. That is a blade profile which has intrigued me for years. In addition, Steve agreed to replace the pivot pin with a Torx screw. In 2005 I purchased a 7/8" Original Bartmann and a 8/8" Wacker "Worked Back". I had trouble through the years keeping the pin tight. Finally I had had enough dealing with a floppy scale on each of the razors. In 2018 I purchased a semi-custom razor from a maker who used a Torx screw to attach his blade to the scales. That change enabled me to easily retighten the blade if necessary. I found that the Torx screw would loosen a bit over time, but a drop of blue Locktite solved that problem. I am sold on the Torx modification and Steve made the modification for me although it required him to order some Torx screws for me and to drill a larger hole in the blade.

My new razor arrived this weekend. I could not be more pleased. Steve's workmanship is superb. The blade is a full hollow and the profile is even better in hand than it appears in pictures. I was a bit surprised that the blade is 1/4" shorter than my other razors. However, I found that makes it lighter and more maneuverable. All I did was strop the blade and shave. I did not need to tweak the hone Steve put on the blade.

All in all this has been a great purchase. I can heartily recommend Steve Colling.

Attachments

• IMG_2023-04-08_14-19-09.jpeg
    IMG_2023-04-08_14-19-09.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
Top Bottom