What's new

Rye- Suggestions Please.

Any suggestions for a really good Rye? I've started to develop a strong liking to this beverage and would appreciate your thoughts on whatevers good.

Bulleit is good, and the price is good. I recommend this as a place to start.

Jefferson's is very good.

I haven't yet tried the very high end ryes.

There are others I have tried, but none I would recommend over Bulleit and Jefferson's

I love rye. For my tastes I separate ryes into to sippers and mixers. My favorite mixer is Rittenhouse, the king of mixers, and then there's...not much else nearly as good. I'm drinking a Rittenhouse Old Fashioned right now. For an every day sipper I like Bulleit, which is a nice dry rye with a somewhat odd caraway flavor, and Sazerac (Baby Saz), which is a sweeter rye with nice traditional rye spice. On the high end I love Thomas Handy Sazerac more than words can express, much more than the "better" Sazerac 18. I also like EH Taylor Rye quite a bit, it has a nice balance but it may be a little pricey for what it is.

Bulleit (rye, not bourbon, though the bourbon is not bad)

Templeton is good, but IMHO, not worth $10 more than Bulleit.

This stuff is made in Finger Lakes Region New York and it is fantastic. Hard to get and made in small batches. I have to drive to the distillery to pick up a bottle.

http://cocktailenthusiast.com/mckenzie-rye-whiskey-review

$mckenzie-rye-whiskey.jpg

The Bulleit Rye, as Rich said, is also quite good and easier to find.

Yes, Bulleit rye is the place to start. It's consistently priced here @ $19.97. It's a best buy for sure. The Baby Saz is also excellent at around $30/bottle. Personally I'd stay away from Old Overholt, cheap stuff and not very smooth at all.

Another vote for Bulleit (this could be a landslide). Inexpensive, smooth (for a rye), slightly complex and readily available.

I tried templeton rye at a bar and it was enjoyable, but not $10 more enjoyable. I have had a slew of others (dickel, WT, Beam) and Bulleit has this category locked down for me.

This stuff is made in Finger Lakes Region New York and it is fantastic. Hard to get and made in small batches. I have to drive to the distillery to pick up a bottle.

http://cocktailenthusiast.com/mckenzie-rye-whiskey-review

View attachment 394537

The Bulleit Rye, as Rich said, is also quite good and easier to find.

Hmmm. Very interesting.

Old Overholt is my go to cheap rye. Delicious juice for about. $12/750ml around here.

I like Overholt (I call it Old Overcoat), too. Good value rye. I liked it a bit better when it was made in Pennsylvania, I think.

Currently, George Dickel Rye is my favorite. But then again, I'm a sucker for the Dickel style.

Bulleit may have to be my first Rye. I think it and Dickel use the same mash, but the Dickel goes through the Lincoln County Process. Could be an interesting side by side to see how that process changes the flavor.

Bulleit may have to be my first Rye. I think it and Dickel use the same mash, but the Dickel goes through the Lincoln County Process. Could be an interesting side by side to see how that process changes the flavor.

I think you will find the differences interesting. That same mash is used in many of today's ryes. These are two of the best, and most distinctive, from that mash, IMO.

Top Bottom