What's new

RV Heating

Hi guys,
Winter is coming. I am looking for a heater for my RV. Any thoughts on which one is better? Oil filled radiator or convector?

Anything you plug in the wall is 1500 watts or about 5100 btu.

I use a ceramic heater in my TT. I like that it is small. I set it on top of the stove.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
How big an RV do you have?

A friend of mine has a Mr. Buddy portable Buddy Heater on the wall of his cab over RV. It's one of those RVs that are on a 1 ton Chevy frame with a 350 engine. I use mine in the house bathroom or a tent during the winter.

Dang they are high these days.

Last edited:
I had the same problem as many cold weather campers. You have to be hooked up and use electric heaters or run the generator.

I needed to be able to run something without being hooked up or run the generator. Found out the hard way the battery won't run your furnace all night without running down and not having enough of a charge to open the thermocouple.

What I ended up doing was getting a propane catalytic heater that needed no electricity. I had an RV shop run a tee to a snap coupling for a hose to the catalytic heater. This allowed me to run off of the main propane tank on the RV. Most times I only ran it on the lowest setting except in the morning when I woke up to get the chill out.

Of course, I had a window slightly open for ventilation and I did not have any problems. Most RV's are not very tight and that added to the cracked window afforded enough ventilation.

You will also get a lot of moisture from the combustion on your windows so there is that.

Mike

"Anything 1500 watts you plug in the wall" is not an option... I surfed through some sites like these houseweather.org/best-oil-filled-radiator/. But have no idea which one is better, guess will buy something from the top of the list but wanted a bit of advice

I think you missed my point....Any electric heater that is 1500 watts only puts out 5100 btu of heat. The way you feel the heat may be different, but the output is the same.

I have a 25 ft TT. In 20-30 degree weather a 1500 watt ceramic heater will keep it about 60 degrees. If it were colder or I wanted it warmer, a heater on each end would probably do it.

If you need more heat than that, you probably want a gas source like a Mr. Buddy or RV furnace.

My Big Buddy heater will warm 600sqft of my house to 68° when it's freezing out. But, it really sucks down the LP to do so. I use it for power outages, or working on the car in winter.

My dad's motorhome has an electric "fireplace". Warms it up nicely, and if we're camping usually there is electric. A small ceramic space heater can work well, and they don't take up much space. Also, an electric blanket is wonderful, I use them at home as I'm all electric, and they save a lot of money over heating my bedroom.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Top Bottom