What's new

Rusty blades (with pic)

I've seen this discussed before--but after a few days sitting in my bathroom, my blades tend to get rusty/corroded. I live in West Los Angeles and use the DWP water to shave with--don't know if it's particularly hard--and the climate is for the most part dry.

This Feather, my favorite brand, is a week old & corroded quicker than my Derbys, Personnas, etc. It doesn't appear to be anything that comes off with cleaning...any ideas? Is it the various coatings used by different manufacturers?

Thanks....

My feathers do the same, but not quite to the extent you've shown...
This is the only blade that I've noticed do this.

My Feathers seemed to rust far quicker than my Red IPs do. It may be that the coating on the Feathers is very thin, and so, allows for corrosion fairly quickly.

Yeesh, scary. I have pretty hard water here, but have never seen rust on any of my blades. I don't do anything to my razors but shake them out after using them.

BS, I live down the road from you in the OC. I suppose our water is largely the same but I've never noticed this happening to my Feathers. Or any other blade. I'll have to keep an eye out for this.

...Ray

Same problem overhere in Belgium, Europe. What helps for me: after shaving, taking the blade out of my Tech, dry the blade with a towel, clean & dry the razor, then putting everything together again.
Result: nice looking razor, good blade.

I get the same result with my blades (Derbys) if I don't dry them after shaving...

Perhaps a question on a side note: I don't think it's that "safe" to shave with rusted blades, or is it? Anyone with a clear view on this?

its not safe to shave with a rusted blades becuase:
1) iron/steel rust flakes, meaning you will get rust on your skin, leading to skin problems and infections
2) blade geometry changes, you could really damage your skin with an uneven blade
3) rust flaking also causes bubbles, means the blade is distroted, bad for shaving

good reminder why we should keep a pack of silica gel in our blade storage drawer,

i dont clean my blades, but i dont get more then 2-3 shaves out of them anyways, rough beard,

This is why I don't keep blades in any razor I am not currently using. They get this way FAST. Never saw this on my Sensor Excel blades or Schick Injectors.

We did get a copper repipe a year ago--don't know if that might have an effect.....

I have never had this problem. I just shake the razor a few times after using and put it back on the shelf(in my bedroom). Are the people with rusty blades leaving their razors in the bathroom?

I live in West Los Angeles and use the DWP water to shave with--don't know if it's particularly hard--and the climate is for the most part dry.

What is DWP water?

I get around the rust issue by doing a couple things. First, I store the razor that I am using with the head up so that the thing isn't sitting in the water that inevitably drains off of it. Also, I use the same razor/blade combo for each succeeding shave until the blade is worn. (I don't switch the blade between razors.) By following those steps I wear out the blade before it has a chance to rust on me.

J

Jarmo P

Your pic looks crazy, but I am not telling it is not a fake.

Myself, I had just one shave with Feather 2 weeks ago. It is now loaded in my Progress and stays there for the second shave maybe 1-2 month from now. Looks pretty well brand new and I dont like feather blades.

These times I have my Merkur HDs, golden and chrome always loaded with either red Personnas or Derby and they never show any rust. I keep a spreadsheet to keep counts of how many shaves I have done and change the blade after 4 shaves.

I really doubt yours are rusted, you could tell that by the shave quality for sure.
I am not friends with Feather, it stays on my Progress for that mild setting.

For my HDs with milder blades, I am sure I would notice by shave if they are rusted or not. Does that "rust" make your shave worse?

EDIT: If that is a real corrosion, you would not be able to shave with that blade. Think about it.

Well, dang! Here I was hoping that it was something special.

Well, JP, I kin sell ya a limited edition 12 oz.bottle o' this here SPECIAL "DWP" water for only $19.99!

Yessir, you won't believe the shave it'll garner ya, quite possibly the best you'll--now, easy fellas, one at a time! This ain't like Proraso Red, there's plenty for all o' ya, just have yer money ready...
:lol:

That seems like a lot of corrosion to me.

I use city water also and fortunately haven’t seen rusting like that on my in-use razor blades. I use my Feather blades for about three shaves each, but they can stay in the razor for about six or seven days while I rotate through other razor/blade combinations. If, after a few days, I had that much corrosion on my in-use razor blades it would be bothersome to me.

Is it possible that the ph and mineral content in your tap water is out of order and causing the blades to corrode easily? Maybe shaving with water from a jug of grocery-store drinking water for a week or so, would change the frequency of the rusting.

Top Bottom