What's new

Rusty Blade’s Wet Shaving Journey

I've been using the Edwin Jagger Synthetic brush (second from the left in the picture) for the past month...exclusively, more so as an experiment. And I must say I am quite smitten with this brush. Just the right softness and backbone. I have not used one brush for more than a week for the past 6 or 7 years. And I am surprised to say, I almost prefer it to my natural fiber brushes (sky quickly darkens and the sound of loud thunder and crack of lightning). I was an expensive brush (I think I paid $79 CAD).
Some time ago I did a post in my journal about my top 4 brushes (horse, synth, boar and badger) and the 4 in the picture made the top of the list. I don't think I will use the EJ forever (Sun begins to peek from the clouds, rain stops), the draw of my natural fiber brushes is just too strong. But for now, I will enjoy what it has to offer.

20200525_121707_resized.jpg

I have been using my EJ 3one6 SS double edge safety razor for months now...with the occasional short-lasting-fling-on-the-side with my Schick Type G single edge razor. I have been using Tiger blades and I have been getting outstanding shaves. So...why change? I used to be out on the town with a different razor every day, but this one just might be my forever lasting love. Good heft, good balance and nice curves. I think I'm in love.

I have finished my Henri et Victoria unscented soap. It was a fine soap, but I have decided to bin the last 1/4 of the tub and move on back to Stirling Naked and Smooth for the rest of March. The Stirling tub I am working on now is from before, still half full and it is going to be in my final two, so it is a pleasure to return to it. So now I am down to my last three soaps:

1. Stirling Naked and Smooth
2. B&M Soft Heart unscented
3. MdC unscented.

Dang. Someone gifted me a tub of B&M Seville. This messes up my little game. I was down to three soaps and now I have one added to the mix. Four soaps. And the problem is, I love Seveille. It has a heavenly fragrance and it lathers nicely. Had to shave with it this morning...couldn't resist. This project might just take me a little longer than I had planned.
20210316_081742_resized.jpg

We convened a quick meeting for the Board this morning to discuss the new development. The questions for discussion is what do we do with the new tub of Seville? The Rusty Blade 2020-2021 Strategic Plan was on track for full implementation -- use each soap until its gone and at the end of the plan I would own only one, possibly two, soaps.

Until yesterday, I was down to three soaps (round of applause...thank you...thank you). And now we were gifted a tub of Seville. The new list is as follows:

1. B&M Seville
2. B&M Soft Heart unscented
3. MdC unscented.
4. Stirling Naked and Smooth

I think the Board has reached a decision. The Chairman is walking into the room (hushed whispers, cameras flashing). He looks concerned. He sits at the head of the table, opens the file and reads from a single piece of paper.

"Ahem...Good morning. After much deliberation, the Board has discussed the recent acquisition of B&M Seville and has reached a decision. There are now four soaps on the final list. Each is of high quality. Seville will remain on the list and will not be PIFd (gasps from the crowd). The Board has decided that each of the four remaining soaps will be used in a rotation for a period of one month until the only remaining soap is MdC. To begin, for the remainder of March, Seville will be used. On April 1st, B&M Soft Heart unscented will be used, then on May 1st MdC unscented and finally on June 1st Stirling Naked and Smooth. This rotation will continue until, as noted above, the only remaining soap is MdC. A press release will be released later this morning to notify the general public of this development. Thank you.

Stop the press! Last night I arrive home to find my shaving soaps had set up a picket line in front of the house, blocking the driveway. They had named themselves the Final Four and boy, were they angry. They had an oil drum with a fire going and were handing out information pamphlets to anyone that was passing. I could see neighbours were peeking through the blinds wondering what all the fuss was about. My brushes and aftershaves were outside also in solidarity -- but being careful not to cross the picket line.

After some convincing I managed to get them to take down the picket line and extinguish the fire and come inside to negotiate. It was pretty tense. Martin de Candre was their appointed spokesman. (...or spokes-soap...not sure how that works). Apparently they were upset they were not consulted on the recent decision to rotate through the Final Four on a monthly basis. Their demands were carefully written down for me to review -- they wanted to rotation to be on a weekly basis, not a monthly basis. They were appealing to my stated allegiance to the Shave of the Week Society. They felt the monthly rotation was not in keeping with the mission of the SWS that believes in a weekly rotation of soaps.

What could I say...I caved. I had no counter argument. With the new agreement in place and a press release sent to media outlets everywhere, my soaps went back to their closet, followed by my aftershaves and brushes and the event, and the evening, came to an amiable conclusion. Sheesh...what next?

Arrrghhh. Darn Easter Bunny gifted me a fresh tub of Stirling Spice. Must have heard me say how much I enjoy the scent of Old Spice. But I must say, I love the soap. Okay...so now I'm up to five soaps.

I don't usually do this, but today was just one of those days when all the planets were lined up in a row and my shave was near to perfect in every way. I had to post it...if only to occasionally remind myself just how good a shave can be. :pipe:

Razor: EJ 3one6/ Gillette Sharp Edge blade
Brush: EJ Synth
Soap: Stirling Spice (thank you Easter Bunny)
Balm: T&H Classic

SOTD April 6.jpg

Barrister and Mann has a new unscented ASB on the market and since I am always on the hunt for good unscented products, I recently purchased a tub. The tub is small...ish. Not as big as a regular tub of B&M soap, but I have found a little goes a long way. As for the scent...there is none! Price is $14.99 CDN. And it goes on real smooth. Definitely a keeper. My wife tells me that hyaluronic acid is the new "big thing" in skin creams. I doubt it will turn back the ravages of time -- wrinkles that is -- but its worth a shot. :pipe:

For the biochemists in the group....here are the ingredients as copied from the website: Aqua, Capric/Caprylic Triglyceride, Squalane (Olive), Aveena sativa (Oat) Kernel Protein, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract (and) Maltodextrin, Garcinia indica (Kokum) Butter, Hydroxypropyl Starch Phosphate, Polysorbate 80, Raphanus Sativus (Radish) Seed Extract, Sodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Allantoin, Gluconodeltalactone (and) Sodium Benzoate, Propanediol, Water, Enteromorpha Compressa Extract, Silybum Marianum Fruit Extract, Ocinum Sanctum Leaf Extract, Polyacrylate Crosspolymer-6, Sodium Hyaluronate.
IMG_0914_900x (2).png

Here is my shave kit for the coming week starting tomorrow, Sunday.

Razor: Schick Type G
Brush: EJ Synth
Soap: B&M Seville

This is going to be a great week. The B&M Seville pairs well with the B&M unscented ASB. And it is great to revisit my old buddy, the Schick Type G. A fine razor. I notice I have been using the EJ Synth brush for some time now. It really is a fine brush with just the right backbone and softness. I can't imagine I will toss out my natural fiber brushes, but the synth has really surprised me in terms of its great balance and looks.
SWS April 17.jpg

Last edited:
The antique gods were good to me yesterday. I picked up a nice boxed set of Seaforth soap mug and AS bottle. Soap is gone and just a hint of scent left in the aftershave bottle. Smelled very much like Old Spice. I've search past threads...and I see there is not much out there in terms of history and dating of Seaforth. 1940s-1950s is the best estimate based on advertising images.
Seaforth Boxed Set.jpg

Seaforth ad.jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
For the biochemists in the group....here are the ingredients as copied from the website: Aqua, Capric/Caprylic Triglyceride, Squalane (Olive), Aveena sativa (Oat) Kernel Protein, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract (and) Maltodextrin, Garcinia indica (Kokum) Butter, Hydroxypropyl Starch Phosphate, Polysorbate 80, Raphanus Sativus (Radish) Seed Extract, Sodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Allantoin, Gluconodeltalactone (and) Sodium Benzoate, Propanediol, Water, Enteromorpha Compressa Extract, Silybum Marianum Fruit Extract, Ocinum Sanctum Leaf Extract, Polyacrylate Crosspolymer-6, Sodium Hyaluronate.
Where is the Hyaluronic Acid listed in the ingredients list?

I generally dont like using products with a long list of ingredients I can't pronounce, but this one goes on real smooth and feels great. For years I used just plain coconut oil as an ASB. Worked fine.

Top Bottom