What's new

Rusty Blade’s Wet Shaving Journey

Here is my shave kit for the coming week:
Razor: Schick Type G
Brush: assorted boar
Soap: RR SMdFF

This is a wonderful soap. And best of all, I can tolerate the scent. It is a lather monster. I have been enjoying my boar brushes lately. They really are the classic shaving brush.
20200822_102754_resized.jpg

Here is my kit for the coming week starting Sunday.

Razor: EJ 3one6/ Tiger blade
Brush: assorted
Cream: T&H Ultimate Comfort
20200829_094838_resized_1.jpg

Razor: EJ 3one6 / Tiger blade
Brush: Assorted boar brushes
Soap: Haslinger Ringleblumen (Marigold)

This is a soap I used years ago and I really enjoyed it very much. I was digging through my stash and found a puck and decided to use it for the coming weeks.

I am still using boar brushes exclusively and I have shelved my synths, horse and badger brushes. I realize I prefer boar brushes there is no other brush that comes close to a boar in terms of performance. I have 7 boar brushes and rotate among the 7.

Razor: Schick Type G
Brush: assorted boar
Soap: MWF

Keeping things simple lately. Hope you are all well as the world around us goes crazy. As Barney Fife would say, "Its a jungle out there." Stay safe.
Rusty

I have reached a point where I am past the "Click Purchase" obsession that filled my closet and sock drawer with containers upon containers of soaps and creams. I have done several major PIFs and I am down to 12 soaps and creams. My goal is to get down to two (not sure which two will be in the finals). Starting November 1 I will use each of the 12 soaps for one month and then its in either: the garbage, the shower or use as hand soap. Most of the following are partially used. I believe only one is unused (B&M Softheart).

1. Pre de Provence
2. B&M Soft Heart Unscented
3. Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
4. Proraso white
5. MWF
6. Truefitt and Hill ultimate Comfort
7. Martin de Candre
8. Henri et Victoria Unscented
9. TOBS Lavender
10. Stirling Unscented
11. Classic Edge Barbershop
12. Haslinger Ringleblumen

First in the batters box for the month of November is half a puck of Haslinger Ringleblumen.

Finished the puck of Haslinger Ringleblumen. Next on deck is a quarter puck of SV 70th Anniversary soap.

1. Pre de Provence
3. Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
4. Proraso white
5. MWF
6. Truefitt and Hill ultimate Comfort
7. Martin de Candre
8. Henri et Victoria Unscented
9. TOBS Lavender
10. Stirling Unscented
11. Classic Edge Barbershop

Today is the end of November. Saponificio Varesino 70th is finished. Tomorrow is December 1 and its time to pick another soap to finish. I was going to pick T&Hill Ultimate Comfort, but I think I would enjoy a more fragrant soap. So it is going to be MWF. I have just a bit less than half a puck remaining. It is going to be a nice month. MWF is one of my all time favourite soaps.
Here is my updated list:
1. Pre de Provence
3. Proraso white
4. MWF
5. Truefitt and Hill ultimate Comfort
6. Martin de Candre
7. Henri et Victoria Unscented
8. TOBS Lavender
9. Stirling Unscented
10. Classic Edge Barbershop

It will soon be the end of December (hope y'all had a nice Christmas). MWF is on its last legs. A fine soap and a delightful December full of shaves. I have also managed to cull the pack a bit more with a couple of PIFs: TOBS Lavender and Classic Edge Barbershop. This shortens my list even more.

As January approaches I have to pick another soap for the month. I will announce that on January 1...though I can say it will likely be an unscented soap. So, for now here is my shortened list (I removed MWF because it is only a matter of days).

1. Pre de Provence
3. Proraso white
4. Truefitt and Hill ultimate Comfort
5. Martin de Candre
6. Henri et Victoria Unscented
7. Stirling Unscented

Happy New Year gents! Hopefully 2021 will be a better year than 2020. My shave soap for January is Stirling Unscented (Naked and Smooth). One of my favourites. A nice way to start the year.

Here is my updated list:

1. Pre de Provence
3. Proraso white
4. Truefitt and Hill ultimate Comfort
5. Martin de Candre
6. Henri et Victoria Unscented
7. Stirling Unscented

Hi Rusty,

Hope all is well. Missing you in the SWS. Just a gentle nudge!!

Eric
Hi Eric. Thanks for the nudge. I have been very busy with work. And I decided it was time to reduce my stock as you can read in my posts above. I am determined to get down to one or two soaps. So far so good. Might do a surprise entry in SWS one of these days. Hope you are continuing to carry the SWS banner.

Update: I PIFd my Pre de Provence to a guy at work. I am now down to six and this coming Sunday I will close out Stirling Naked and Smooth and move on to a new soap from the ever shortening list:

1. B&M Soft Heart Unscented
2. Proraso white
3. Truefitt and Hill Ultimate Comfort
4. Martin de Candre
5. Henri et Victoria Unscented
6. Stirling Unscented

I am really enjoying this process. It feels good to get rid of the clutter of an overwhelming number of soaps and creams. It also feels good to PIF soaps because then someone else can enjoy them. I am thinking I will eventually end up with two soaps: an scented soap and one unscented. Likely Stirling Naked and Smooth and Proraso White. Use one until its gone and then switch to the other. Neat and simple.

We are coming up to the end of January and its time to set aside Stirling Naked and Smooth. I still have 3/4 of a tub left, so I will hold on to this one because it is likely going to be my final soap choice. For February I am going to use Truefitt and Hill Ultimate Comfort. A fine cream and it will make the miserable month of February just a bit brighter. I am also going to use my Edwin Jagger synthetic brush for the entire month as well. I don't usually use just one brush, but for this month I will make an exception.

SWS jan 29 21.jpg

There is the remaining list of my soaps:

2. Proraso white
3. Truefitt and Hill Ultimate Comfort
4. Martin de Candre
5. Henri et Victoria Unscented

My Truefitt & Hill trio are coming to an end. Such a wonderful cream and the ASB is a delight to use on a cold winter morning. I The ASB is all gone, and I might be able to squeeze a couple of more shaves out of the cream tube. The big question now is...what will be my next soap to use up? The list is getting shorter! Stay tuned!

2. Proraso white
3. Martin de Candre
4. Henri et Victoria Unscented

The jury has returned to the courtroom. After many hours and much debate, they have finished their deliberations. The envelope is handed to the judge. You could hear a pin drop in the courtroom. The judge, with trembling hand, opens the envelope and reads the card inside -- "Ahem...the verdict is in...the soap and ASB for the month of March is: Henri et Victoria Unscented." A loud sigh of relief comes from the audience gathered in the courtroom. The reporters rush to the phones to call in the story to the late edition...it is final -- Henri et victoria Unscented. Its going to be a great month.

The remaining soaps are:
2. Proraso white
3. Martin de Candre

Top Bottom