What's new

Rusty Blade’s Wet Shaving Journey

This morning I enjoyed the Shave of Kings...Proraso White! Love this combo as my Sunday morning shave. Easy all around...no fuss, just wonderful lather and wonderful scents.

Pre: Proraso preshave cream
Razor: Merkur 23c
Blade: GSB
Soap: Proraso White
Brush: Victoria Badger

$M22.jpg

Today I am making a new post shave balm. Usually I mix 50/50 unrefined shea butter and coconut oil. Microwave it until it melts, stir and pour into my jar. Today I am going to make a lighter blend for summer: shea butter and coconut oil 70/30 proportions and just a drop of vegetable glycerin and a drop of liquid lanolin. Hopefully it turns out well. I just don't like it when its runny. I like a solid cream.

Late Breaking News: the new post shave balm I made is very nice. Simple recipe:

2 Tbsp. unrefined shea butter
1 Tsp. coconut oil
2 drops vegetable glycerin
2 drops liquid lanolin.

Microwave until melted...pour into container and let cool. Feels great on my skin. I find as I age, I need to moisturize my skin...especially post shave.:blink: If you wanted, you could easily add a few drops of an EO to provide a scent...eg. lavender or rose. I prefer an unscented balm...because I often wait an hour and then put on a scented ASB.

This morning shave was an easy shave. I used my Schick Type G, Semogue and Haslinger Schafmilch. A near perfect combination. No irritation...just smooth sailing. DFS for certain.

Pre: Proraso white preshave cream
Razor: Schick Type G
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Post: Witch Hazel / RB Balm (Rusty Blade Balm...see post #42 above for recipe) / Jack Black Post Shave Cooling Gel

This Semogue 1305 has to be one of my favourite boar brushes. When it is dry it feels like you could scrub a floor with it, but once it soaks in a mug of warm water while I shower, it softens up nicely. An absolute pleasure to use. I realize I don't have much of a system for using my brushes...I just tend to decide at the moment of picking up my soap and razor to go into the bathroom. And oddly enough, while I used a boar this morning, I have been selecting badger brushes more lately.

The RB Balm performed very well. It is not as thick as my previous 50/50 blend...but it is very slick.
$M23.jpg

Last edited:
Tomorrow morning I will be switching my DE razor from the Merkur 23c to another favourite of mine, the Fendrihan Long Handle Closed Comb razor. They are very similar, but the Fendrihan's handle is slightly longer and it is a bit heavier. See the stats (from the Fendrihan website) and pics below:

Merkur 23c: Weight: 2.2 oz (62 g) , Length: 4" (10 cm)
Fendrihan: Weight: 3.12 oz (90 g) , Length: 5.08" (12.9 cm)

The heads are very similar and they are about the same in terms of their mildness...though for some reason I find the Fendrihan a better cutter. I find I do prefer a longer handle and I do like the weightiness of the razor. I have used GSB, Astra SP and Gillette yellow blades with great success in both razors.

$Merkur Fendrihan.jpg

That handle looks better on the Fendrihan razor, both in diameter of the handle and the length.

Sent via Tapatalk from phone

That handle looks better on the Fendrihan razor, both in diameter of the handle and the length.

I purchased the Fendrihan razor early in my wet shaving journey...I noticed some of the razors on the market had smooth handles and I was concerned about slippery fingers. This handle (and the 23c) both have a solid grip. The Fendrihan has a weighty, solid feel in my hand.

As I noted above, this morning I used the Fendrihan CC DE. I really like this razor...I find the auditory feedback on this one is quite good. The GSB seems to an ideal pairing. When I use this razor I remember why I like DE shaving. It is perfectly weighted and balanced in my hand. And yet, the Schick Type G provides such a nice shave as well :blink:. I am going to continue alternating for now...I will enjoy the best of both worlds!

Razor: Fendrihan CC DE
Blade: GSB
Brush: Omega
Soap: Cella

$M24.jpg

Last edited:
I note there are a few different blades for the Schick razors. I don't usually mention my blade type when I post my shave of the day when I use a Schick, but I only use one kind of blade -- the Schick Injector blade. I order from Amazon.ca for approx $6 CDN. A great deal. When you find perfection there is no need to try others! I am looking forward to use my Type G tomorrow!
$Schick Blades.jpg

Last edited:
In the words of Monty Python, "And now for something completely different". This morning I was looking through the drawer where I store all my soaps and creams...and while I have been focusing on Cella and Haslinger Schafmilch lately, my eye caught a tub of GFT Coconut. I haven't used this for some time now and I remember it as being an excellent cream. So I used it this morning and have decided to add this to my regular rotation of 2 soaps. So now I have three: Cella, Haslinger Schafmilch and GFT Coconut. And when I finish these three, I will still have 34 more to use. :blink:

Brush: Simpsons Special
Cream: GFT Coconut

One pass WTG and this was a shave for the record books. Awesome all around!:thumbup1:
$M25 [1].jpg
I often wonder if I had to make a mad dash and grab (earthquake, calamity, tsunami, shave apocalypse, etc.) of shave gear what would I take? Well for my post shave, I think the Jack Black Post Shave Cooling Gel wins hands down. Very mildly scented, good moisturizing properties, nice cooling effect. Have to give some thought to what other gear I would take! Razor? Probably take two: my Fendrihan DE and my Schick Type G. Blades? Schick and GSB. Brush: Simpsons Special. Soap? Probably Haslinger Schafmilch. My current favourite. Of course this is all subject to change. Ask me next week and I will give different answers.

This morning I had a bit of fun.:001_smile I decided to shave half my face with my Fendrihan DE and half my face with my Schick Type G. I would have to say it was a tie. Both shaved equally well, though the Schick seemed more comfortable and effortless. (My pic only shows the Schick, not the DE). I also decided to use the GFT coconut shave cream again. Such a nice product. A few swirls of the brush and it builds a thick creamy lather. Great lubrication. Post shave skin feel is wonderful. I find I don't need a moisturizing cream or balm post shave. I am pleased I have almost a full tub to work my way through over the coming months.

Razor: Fendrihan DE / Schick Type G
Brush: Semogue 1438
Cream: GFT Coconut

$M26.jpg

I just received my Vie-Long 12750 horse hair brush (butterscotch handle) in the mail. I have prepped it by hand lathering it with some Proraso red. I have found in the past that it is a good soap to break in a new brush. As others have noted, the funky horse-scent is quite prominent. Regardless...I am looking forward to tomorrow morning! [Pic is a stock image...Fendrihan I think]
$VIE12750_VieLong_Horse_Hair_Shaving_Brush (1).jpg

Last edited:
Wonderful shave this morning. I used my new Vie-Long horse hair brush. I can see this is going to take some adjustment (and I don't mean just the smell). I have read others who say the horse hair brush is really halfway between a boar and a badger. I like it. I can see this brush becoming a regular in my morning routine. I don't know why I waited this long to buy one. However, I have learned the scent of horse and Cella...don't really go well together.:blink:

Brush: Vie Long 12750

$M27.jpg

Last edited:
Nice brush. That Proraso sandalwood to de-funkify the brush sounds like a good plan. Sounds like it may need multiple treatments. One pass excellent shave - well done.

Nice brush. That Proraso sandalwood to de-funkify the brush sounds like a good plan. Sounds like it may need multiple treatments. One pass excellent shave - well done.

The scent from the brush does have lasting power...but it is not too unpleasant. I will use this brush often, so I know it will clear after a while. I haven't bought a new brush for some time now, but I seem to recall the boars and badgers all had a funky scent for the first few shaves. I can't bring myself to buy a synthetic brush. No scent problem there. Ha.
Yes, one pass is enough for me. But for me, my one pass shaves involve plenty of buffing and touch ups. I have seen lots of videos of guys doing multiple passes and each pass consists of long swipes covering a lot of facial territory. I call mine "one pass", but it is really just a different approach. My shave style is just one that works for me. I've been doing it that way for 40+ years! Too hard to change now. :blushing:

This morning was my Haslinger shave and I just couldn't tolerate the thought of horsey-funk and the lovely scent of Haslinger Schafmilch blending together on my face. :blink: So I brought both brushes into the bathroom and loaded the Vie-Long and set it aside to steep while I showered and shaved with my Victoria Badger. And after my shave and clean up I rinsed the Vie-Long. I will do this for a few days until the funk clears. I think Doctor Who would approve of this approach.

I am on week 2 with this Schick blade in my Type G and there is no sign of surrender. This blade is ultra smooth and still very sharp. Amazing really. Other than that, it was a great shave, an almost perfect way to start a Saturday morning. One pass WTG, a few touch ups and I am now officially ready to face the world.:thumbup1:

Razor: Schick
Brush: Victoria Badger

$M28.jpg

Last edited:
I am on the road this week on business. Took a predawn flight but still managed to get up early enough to grab a quick shave. Writing this from my hotel. Sorry no pictures, but here is what I used:

Pre: Proraso pre shave cream
Brush: Parker Badger

A great way to start a business trip. This week while I am travelling I will be using the following gear:
Razor: Merkur 23c and GSB blades
Brush: Omega Boar
Soaps: Cella and Nivea Original Shave Cream
Post: Witch Hazel, Clinique Post Shave Soother, Jack Black Post Shave Cooling Gel

I try to keep my travel kit light with one razor, one brush, one soap, one cream and some post shave balms. I always look forward to coming home to more variety...esp in brushes.

Wandered into an antique store today and lucked into four SRs. The photo is not the best, but the metal, scales and edges are in good condition. The metal looks weathered, but you would too if you had been in antique store for years without TLC. I am looking forward to learning about SR restoration and use. I think this is a rabbit hole I am going to enjoy.
View attachment 662378

I think you did very well at the antique store. You can clean up those razors with polish after a good soaking and cleaning and then one them up.

I was so excited about my SR razor find yesterday that I forgot to mention I also picked up a nice Schick Injector SE. $image.jpeg

I managed to take a couple of photos last night of my travel shave gear. Up and on the road early. Great shave.

Razor: Merkur 23c / GSB
Brush: Omega

$image.jpg

Top Bottom