What's new

Rusty Blade’s Wet Shaving Journey

Along with collecting vintage razors I also collect DE razor blades. I have about 75 different blades in my display case, some modern, some vintage. I recently decided to branch out and try using some of the different modern blades. Early in my wet-shaving journey I experimented and found Astra SP, GSB, Derby Extra, Derby Premium and Gillette 7 o'clock green as blades that worked well for me. So at that point my experimenting stopped and I have not tried to find a new blade in a couple of years. (Correction...I recently added Derby Premium to my rotation...and purchased 100). I have tried many others but none seemed to grab my interest. I think over this winter I will try some new blades. Who knows, maybe I will find one that surpasses all the rest and order 500 of them and never buy another blade again. Not likely I know. I do tend to have a wandering eye.

This week I am trying Tiger Platinum. Made in the Czech Republic. One shave in and I would say they are on par with an Astra SP. I understand they are the "new" version of AStra SP, so this would stand to reason. I will use this blade for the coming week and pass judgement at the end.

For this coming week starting today (Sunday) I will be using the following kit:

Pre: Proraso white preshave cream
Razor: EJ 3one6
Blade: Tiger Platinum
Brush: various
Soap: SV
This is my 2nd time using the Tiger blade. As noted in my previous journal post I plan to start trying some new blades. Just a bit of fun.

As we approach a new year and a new decade I find myself mulling over some potential shaving related resolutions for 2020 and beyond. The bottom line is -- I just have too much stuff -- hardware and software. And the start of a new year and a new decade seems like a good time to tackle this problem.

Drastic situations require drastic measures. Without a doubt this will have to include a shave purchase sabbatical. I have to stop buying stuff! I just made my last purchase of a few essentials to get me through. I am going to start doing the 3017 routine. It seems to be the best way to use up product. And this goes for soaps, blades and AS products. I will likely put together a PIF of some of the products I don't use or stuff I know I won't use. Let someone else enjoy them. And I really need to go through my collection of razors and sell some of them. I just have too many. (Do I really need 200 straight razors?). Better to put them back in circulation so someone else can enjoy them. To achieve this rather drastic approach I am also going to change the way I use B&B. I am going to limit myself to my journal to document my journey. All of this will start January 1.

A new year, a new decade, a fresh start. Wish me luck.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
To achieve this rather drastic approach I am also going to change the way I use B&B. I am going to limit myself to my journal to document my journey. All of this will start January 1.

Doea that mean your journal here is the only part of B&B you'll use, or you'll only update this and not keep records offline, or....? Confused.

I think the hardest part of having a change of "direction" so to speak, is knowing what you want to achieve. I'd suggest setting yourself a target (before you start sorting through everything) of the sort of numbers you want to finish up at. It might not happen all at once, but that's OK. For example, if you decided you were just going to retain a cherry picked 7 day set, it might be easy to get down to 20, getting down to a dozen might take a couple more weeks or months, and then you might end up finding there's 10 you really want to keep.

Blades are something I don't mind being heavily stocked up on, but then DE is my primary shaving method. My two straights and two shavettes do get occasional use, but I don't think I've picked up the regrindable SEs at all this year. I'm getting close to where I want to be with soap, and have just over one full soap to use up to get on target.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Doea that mean your journal here is the only part of B&B you'll use, or you'll only update this and not keep records offline, or....? Confused.

I think the hardest part of having a change of "direction" so to speak, is knowing what you want to achieve. I'd suggest setting yourself a target (before you start sorting through everything) of the sort of numbers you want to finish up at. It might not happen all at once, but that's OK. For example, if you decided you were just going to retain a cherry picked 7 day set, it might be easy to get down to 20, getting down to a dozen might take a couple more weeks or months, and then you might end up finding there's 10 you really want to keep.

Blades are something I don't mind being heavily stocked up on, but then DE is my primary shaving method. My two straights and two shavettes do get occasional use, but I don't think I've picked up the regrindable SEs at all this year. I'm getting close to where I want to be with soap, and have just over one full soap to use up to get on target.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
I meant my B&B journal. This thread. I find I am easily influenced and enticed by the newest and best products. I love B&B. It has been a great place to share my hobby with others, but it has also contributed to endless purchasing, despite my best efforts. I seem to lack willpower.

My final shave purchase this week is the new Cella bio cream and ASB ( I read some great reviews and decided to buy it) and 100 Tiger Platinum blades (I also read very positive reviews on this blade and decided to buy 100). Now at this rate I will continue to keep buying forever. And buying just a few soaps or blades will add another year to my timeline. It's not the money, it's just having too much stuff. I feel the time has come to put the brakes on and use up some product. My plan is to pick a soap or cream or blade, or AS, use it either until it's gone, or if it just isnt that great it will end up in the shower or in a give away box. And I would like to document the journey in my B&B journal. Who knows, someone might enjoy reading about my soap, cream or blade journey. And maybe at the end of it all I may identify one or two blades and maybe three soaps and a couple of AS products that will become my staple.
I should also mention that I do plan to buy the new formula Proraso white trio when it hits the Canadian market this spring.

As we count down the final days of 2019 I find myself more ready than ever to buckle down and put the brakes on my shave purchases and start a process of using up my software until I reach a point of sensibility. I have three shoeboxes full of soaps and creams and AS products. I have deleted all my shortcuts to online shaving stores.

Already I have thrown out or PIF'd 2 ASBs and three soaps that were seriously underperforming or just didnt have enough pizzazz to keep my interest.

I have identified my first shave cream that I will 3017. It is a high performer -- T&H Ultimate Comfort and matching ASB. I have about 1/3 of a tub left to use. This one will be my solo cream until it has been used to completion. I have a few other soaps or creams in the lineup that have a 1/3 or less in the puck or tube that I will use first. A few quick wins to get me started. I am feeling optimistic.

That's the idea! I started with a tub that was 1/3 full, so that I could use it up sooner! Seeing an empty tub gave me the boost I needed to keep going. Took me 6 months, but I got from 7 tubs down to 3, the 3 best for me. But in the last 6 weeks of the year, I have been gifted 2 more soaps. My goal is to get the kit I'm best with, and just enjoy my shaves instead of trying to find if something new will be better yet. I'm rooting for you!

Eric; M, Karve Diem, BOSC

As we approach a new year and a new decade I find myself mulling over some potential shaving related resolutions for 2020 and beyond. The bottom line is -- I just have too much stuff -- hardware and software. And the start of a new year and a new decade seems like a good time to tackle this problem.

Drastic situations require drastic measures. Without a doubt this will have to include a shave purchase sabbatical. I have to stop buying stuff! I just made my last purchase of a few essentials to get me through. I am going to start doing the 3017 routine. It seems to be the best way to use up product. And this goes for soaps, blades and AS products. I will likely put together a PIF of some of the products I don't use or stuff I know I won't use. Let someone else enjoy them. And I really need to go through my collection of razors and sell some of them. I just have too many. (Do I really need 200 straight razors?). Better to put them back in circulation so someone else can enjoy them. To achieve this rather drastic approach I am also going to change the way I use B&B. I am going to limit myself to my journal to document my journey. All of this will start January 1.

Best of luck in your effort! I'm also embarking on a 10-year Sabbatical because things are getting out of hand. Eagerly anticipating for your thoughts throughout this journey. Happy shaves! :)

Best of luck in your effort! I'm also embarking on a 10-year Sabbatical because things are getting out of hand. Eagerly anticipating for your thoughts throughout this journey. Happy shaves! :)
Thanks for the well wishes. Good luck to you as well. Keep me posted on your progress.

I decided to get a head start on my 2020 shave den clearing journey and I went through my shoeboxes full of soaps and AS products and identified a few that I know will not make the final cut. They were always just mediocre but I kept them just because they were hardly used. 3 soaps and 2 aftershaves are in a PIF box that I will take to work tomorrow. I work with some serious wetshavers that will be on that PIF box like buzzards on a gut wagon. I may try to identify a couple more soaps or AS before tomorrow. I am being ruthless and showing no mercy. And I am determined to get my soaps down to three and only three top performing products. If they dont cut the grade then they are gone!!!!

I gathered the team today and we did a head count and I can't believe the steep hill I have to climb. I have 22 soaps and creams and 20 ASBs. And some of the soaps are heavy hitters -- Martin de Candre, three different Saponificio Varesino soaps, MWF, Pre de Provence -- all triple milled soaps (and that means hard as concrete). Some of these soaps -- by themselves -- can last up to a year or more. This has now become a 10 year project. I remain committed and every journey of 100 miles begins with the first step. Tomorrow I begin T&H Ultimate Comfort shave cream and matching ASB.

Reminds me of the saying, "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." Or, as in the movie What About Bob?, just take baby steps!! I hear you. For me, right now, it is blades. I found myself contemplating buying more, but I had looked at my stock a few weeks ago and figured I had around 5 years' worth of shaves before I run out. And reading various threads about changes, or out of production, just seems to fuel the Buy It Now fire. Best wishes for the New Year, Rusty!

Reminds me of the saying, "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." Or, as in the movie What About Bob?, just take baby steps!! I hear you. For me, right now, it is blades. I found myself contemplating buying more, but I had looked at my stock a few weeks ago and figured I had around 5 years' worth of shaves before I run out. And reading various threads about changes, or out of production, just seems to fuel the Buy It Now fire. Best wishes for the New Year, Rusty!
Thanks and Happy New Year to you as well! I have enough blades for a few years as well. Oddly enough I am not bothered about blades. I wont buy anymore and I am not tempted to buy more. I have a good stock of excellent blades. For me, my nemesis is soaps and AS. But in the end you are right, one very big elephant, one bite at a time. Today is Day 1.

I found myself daydreaming this afternoon wondering which three soaps will be in my kit when I have finally finished all my den clearing. I could try a prediction, but I really think it's too early to say. The only soap that I think I can say I will end up with is the Proraso white trio. It has always been a favourite. The other two are a toss up. Time will tell.

This weekend I decided to cancel my order for a SS Karve. It's been 7 weeks and no razor, as well as Why do I need two of the same thing?! My Minimalist tendencies asserted itself and I feel "lighter" again. And we can do other and better things with the money than have another razor in the drawer. So the point is, we can do this, we can control our spending and enjoy what we have!

This weekend I decided to cancel my order for a SS Karve. It's been 7 weeks and no razor, as well as Why do I need two of the same thing?! My Minimalist tendencies asserted itself and I feel "lighter" again. And we can do other and better things with the money than have another razor in the drawer. So the point is, we can do this, we can control our spending and enjoy what we have!
I know how you feel. After I found the EJ 3one6 I realized there was no need to keep buying and trying new razors. I found the one. The EJ and my trusted Schick Type G are likely to be the only two razors I will ever need. It is a good feeling to finally overcome the purchase habit.

Here it is the 18th of January and for the last 18 days it has been such a strange feeling to go to the mailbox and not find a shaving related package. Just regular junk mail and bills.

Finished the tub of Truefitt and Hill Ultimate Comfort. One down 21 more soaps and creams to go. I really enjoyed this cream and fortunately I still have some of the ASB left over. My next soap on my list is a 1/3 of a puck of Saponificio Varesonio 70th Anniversary soap. A particular favourite of mine.

Okay, I'll bite: 5-4-3-2-1. Five best soaps, 4 best post shave products, 3 best brushes, 2 best razors, one best blade.

Five best soaps:
1. MWF
2. SV 70th Anniversary
3. T&H Ultimate Comfort
4. Stirling Naked and Smooth
5. Proraso White

Four Best Post shave products:
1. Lucky Tiger AS Splash
2. Henri et Victoria Unscented ASB
3. T&H Ultimate comfort ASB
4. Proraso white ASB

Three best brushes: