What's new

Rusty Blade’s Wet Shaving Journey

I recently picked up a Schick injector Type A. It was a chance visit to an antique store. My heart almost stopped when I saw the razor in the cabinet. The antique store guy didn't know what it was. It was covered in a fair bit of tarnish and I was able to pick it up for a good price. Here is the before picture.
20190810_172405_resized.jpg

It took a fair bit of work to get the razor cleaned up. There were 7 original blades in the cartridge. I soaked them in alcohol and cleaned those up as well.
20190810_172531_resized.jpg

I have been on a great run lately with my Schick Type G razor and the Soap Commander Integrity soap and ASB. I am getting the best shaves on record and enjoying every minute of it.
20190813_155411_resized.jpg

I recently ordered a tub of Unscented soap from Henri et Victoria. I have enjoyed their Cognac and Cuban Cigars soap. The lather and scent are wonderful. So I have high hopes for their unscented soap. And since I am really scent sensitive lately I have been using unscented soaps exclusively. Here is a list of my current stock of unscented soaps and creams:

Soaps:
1. Soap Commander Integrity
2. Martin de Candre
3. Valobra
4. Henri et Victoria Unscented (waiting for it to arrive)

Creams:
5. Truefitt and Hill Ultimate Comfort
6. Lucky Tiger Unscented shave cream

I enjoy each one of these products. They all provide a great lather and no scent. I also have the Henri et Victoria unscented ASB and the Soap Commander Integrity ASB, which, by the way, has some menthol added. I seem to be able to tolerate this quite well. And while some may think this is a limited selection, I dont feel deprived. I tried using one of my more fragrant soaps and paid the price with terrible nausea or headaches. So, most mornings it's an easy choice.

I forgot to mention that I also have Le Pere Lucien Unscented soap. I really enjoy this soap. It is my travel soap and I really like the stainless tin. It seems to last forever, though admittedly, I don't travel much these days.

I can't remember if I entered an update saying that I had ordered Derby Lavender shave cream. Well I did, and when it arrived I was hoping for a more mild scent, but instead it was rather strong to my scent-sensitive nose. I gave it to my son who is enjoying it very much. I also ordered some Henri et Victoria Unscented soap and this is a very nice soap and best of all, it is completely unscented. Easy to lather and very slick. A keeper for sure. I have also ordered some Stirling Naked and Smooth soap and balm. Just waiting for it to arrive. I will post an update at that time.

For those who follow my posts, you know I have been leaning more and more to unscented products. This is happening for a couple of reasons. First, I seem to be reacting to scents more and more lately, leaving me feeling quite unwell. Headaches, joint pain, brain fog, etc. This is not just with shaving products, but any kind of scents. Going out in public is a bit of a challenge, since most people wash their clothes in scented laundry soap and dryer sheets, or they wear any number of scented products. Or worse they live in toxic environments where they use various air fresheners that seep into their clothes and bodies. But that will be a rant for another day. Second, when I was able to tolerate scents I was slowly moving in the direction of unscented products and tended to select an unscented soap and then finish with a scented ASB.

Now I have gone all the way and only use unscented soaps or creams and ASBs. I have one that has lavender EO that, if I use it in small quantities, I seem to be able to tolerate (T&H Ultimate Comfort and TOBS Lavender). There have been occasions when I have rebelled, damned the torpedoes and slapped on some Old Spice AS and paid the price. It felt good going on but within minutes I have to hop back in the shower and wash it all off. Dang.

Fortunately there are some stellar unscented soaps and ASBs on the market. I particularly enjoy it when there is a soap and matching ASB. Not sure why, I guess it just looks good on my shelf. I have noticed though that rotating through various products (and their respective scents) was part of what I enjoyed. And now I find rotating through my unscented soaps and ASBs isn’t much of a thrill. I can’t really tell the difference among them. They are all unscented. I could easily pick one off the shelf and stick with it until its gone.

I have drifted away from the Shave of the Week Society. I think I need to revive my participation and pick a soap and ASB and use it for a week. Or perhaps I will live with the illusion that they are different and enjoy the rotation of unscented soaps and ASBs I have created. Such is life. When given lemons, you make lemonade.

Today I shaved with a new to me budget shave cream, Arko Sensitive. And it was a delight. I really love the budget shave cream genre. Cheap as dirt, super lather monsters and this one fits well into the category of unscented. This will be a great travel cream.
20190822_195639_resized.jpg

Here is an updated list of my unscented products:
Soaps:
2. Martin de Candre
3. Valobra
4. Henri et Victoria Unscented
5. Le Pere Lucien

Creams:
6. Truefitt and Hill Ultimate Comfort
7. Lucky Tiger Unscented shave cream
8. Arko Sensitive

Almost enough players for a football team.:001_rolle

I have made a few new acquisitions on my journey to a fully unscented shave den. Here is an updated list of my unscented soaps and creams and aftershave products:

Soaps:
2. Martin de Candre
3. Valobra
4. Henri et Victoria Unscented
5. Le Pere Lucien
6. Stirling Naked and Smooth

Creams:
1. Truefitt and Hill Ultimate Comfort
2. Lucky Tiger Unscented shave cream
3. Arko Sensitive

Post shave:
2. Simpsons
3. Midnight and Two
4. Henri et Victoria
5. Stirling Naked and Smooth
6. Arko Sensitive
7. Lucky Tiger AS Splash (the only splash on my list but it a necessary addition to my daily routine...and it is unscented, despite the 2 seconds of light citrus scent when applied).

I have boxed up or PIF'd all my scented products. And I can't say I miss them. I realize I prefer unscented soaps and creams and ASBs. The ones on my list are all top shelf products. I would highly recommend any of these to someone who was looking to get away from scented shave products.

The journey continues...always something new to learn and experience.

Today I clicked "Complete Purchase" on another round of shaving gear: 2 new brushes (as if the 14 I currently own wasn't enough...and that was after ), alum, soaps (2), ASB, (2), a new razor, and another 100 blades. I believe I have crossed an all important threshold on my shaving journey. I now have more gear than I can reasonably use in my lifetime. I believe the point of reasonableness has been crossed. Oddly enough I don't really care. I have few pleasures. I don't spend money on cars, booze, cigars, boats, tools, motorcycles, audio/media gear etc. So my little splurges on shaving gear doesn't cause me to lose a wink of sleep. However, I still can't believe I have more shaving stuff than I could use in my lifetime. Shazaaaam!

I received my Razorock Eco in the mail today. I like the look and feel. I will give it a whirl tomorrow morning. I am going to use the Crown blades that came with the order. I am interested to see how it compares to the Schick Type G...my daily razor.

A day of firsts for me. First go around with Stirling Naked and Smooth. And first day with the Razorock Eco and first day with Crown blade. Overall I would say the razor is medium aggressive. Good audio feedback. Good feel and balance in the hand. It doesnt have that timeless style and good looks of a Schick injector, but it is a good razor. As with anything new, it will take a few shaves to really learn the ins and outs of the tool. Difficult to assess the blade after only one shave. Looking forward to spending the week with this razor and blade combo.

Stirling Naked and Smooth was one of my very first soaps many Moons ago when I started my soap acquisition disorder. It is a great soap. The ASB is pretty thick, but it certainly moisturizes. Overall a great shave.
20190909_201534_resized.jpg

Day 2 with the RazoRock Eco. It was a bit more comfortable this morning. I still find it a bit "brisk", though I am beginning to think it's the Crown blade and not so much the razor. I am used to a Schick injector that is so smooth and sharp I often have to check there is a blade in the razor. Still, I am not complaining. Overall, a great shave. I know it will feel better each day.

I also used Proraso white preshave cream and this helped slick things up.

I give RazoRock credit for coming up with an inexpensive half DE blade, SE razor. Full points to them. Once I get it dialed in, I know it's going to be a keeper for sure.

I am going to use a Derby Premium tomorrow instead of a GSB. With this razor one thing is clear, more frequent blade changes will be the norm. I can usually get 5 to 7 shaves from a DE. I can expect half as many with the Eco. Not a deal breaker, just something to deal with.

Today was day 3 with the RazoRock Eco and this morning I switched out the Crown blade and I used a Derby Platinum blade. Had a great shave. Getting used to the razor, learning my angles and pressure. The Derby blade is smoother than the Crown. I like this razor, but still for me it just doesnt have that timeless elegance of the Schick Injector. What the Eco does have is a lot more variety in terms of blade selection. And that is a bonus.

From what I understand horse hair brushes were more popular back in the early part of the 1900s. I dont know why they are not more popular. I have two horse hair brushes. One darker hair and one lighter hair. Both made by Vie Long. They are both really nice brushes, though I notice the dark hair brush is more prone to getting tangled compared to the light hair one. I keep it combed.

The light one is a pleasure to use, soft and yet it has some backbone. The darker hair brush is also nice to use -- I compare it to a firm badger brush -- though it still a bit scratchy after many shaves. I think it's just the quality of the hair.
20190912_100633_resized.jpg

Today was day 4 with the Eco and I used a Derby Premium blade. It was a nice shave, but it is still a bit brisk. Not sure if it's just a more aggressive razor or if my choice of blade is a poor match for the tool. I really want to like this razor. It is an SE and it uses half DE blades. Just what I've been looking for. But I haven't hit the sweet spot with this razor and its bothering me. I have not met a razor, new or vintage that I couldn't master. So tomorrow I am going to try a GSB and then if that doesnt work I am going to try a Feather blade. I have a feeling the Feather might just be the one. It is a thicker blade and this is one of the features of this blade that makes it sharp. And I believe a stiffer blade, with less opportunity to chatter might be the right fix for this razor. Only time will tell. The other option is to stick with a GSB for a month and eventually, I believe, I will adapt. In other words, it might be me that is the problem, not the razor or blades. Hard to believe I know.
I also believe this is the kind of razor that works best when I use a preshave cream, like Proraso white or green.

Today I used a GSB blade in the Eco and it made a big difference. Much smoother and effortless. I know from my past experience that my blade choice in a razor can make or break a shave. And I believe this is one of those YMMV things in shaving. It just goes to show, when it ain't broke, dont fix it.

My conclusion on the RazoRock Eco after a few shaves:
1. Full points to RazoRock for coming up with a SE that uses half DE blades. Its about time.
2. Once you find the right blade and get a few shaves in to learn your angles and pressure this razor will give a fine shave;
3. The handle is a bit slippy for me, but this is just a preference, not a fault of the razor. I like a grippy handle.
4. Will it replace my Schick Type G as my daily razor? No. Nice as the Eco is, it can't compete with the old school elegance of the Type G Schick Injector.
5. Will I take it out once in a while to use just for fun? Yes, Probably.
6. Price point on the Eco is excellent. While it is an aluminium razor [not SS or brass] the price is reasonable and makes entry into the SE world affordable. I am not a fan of aluminium...too light for my liking.

Today I used a new Semogue boar brush for my morning shave. I realize I like a boar brush for face lathering. It is very soft, though I always soak my brush in warm water while I shower. In my opinion, the boar brush is the quintessential old school shaving brush.
Tomorrow I will be lathering up with the RazoRock Plissoft synthetic brush. I have had this on my shelf for a while now, but just haven't gotten around to using it. Tomorrow is the day. I read good things about synth brushes.
20190919_090444_resized.jpg

My shave for today consisted of a great combination of products. The Plissoft brush from RazoRock was surprisingly smooth for a synth. The density of the knot seemed to hit the right balance. Other synths I have tried dont hit the sweet spot in terms of density, backbone or smoothness. This one hit all three. This brush just might be a keeper.

The Stirling Naked and Smooth is a wonderful soap providing a rich thick lather that is very slick. As an unscented soap it is just about perfect. The ASB is a bit thick for my liking, but there is no doubt it moisturizes my skin. This is a top notch product.

Here was my shave:
Pre: Proraso white preshave cream
Razor: Schick Type G
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft
Soap: Stirling Naked and Smooth
Post: Alum, Lucky Tiger AS Splash, Stirling Naked and Smooth ASB.
20190919_202305_resized.jpg

My shave this morning was very relaxing. The Plissoft is performing wonderfully.
Pre: Proraso white pre shave cream
Razor: Schick Type G
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft
Soap: T&H Ultimate Comfort
20190920_191000_resized.jpg

Top Bottom