What's new

Rusty Blade’s Wet Shaving Journey

Last evening we had a family meeting. It was "one of those meetings". :blink: The DEs sat on one side of the table, the SEs on the other. A frank and open discussion ensued. The SEs were quite smug in their recent position of privilege and the DEs were feeling just a bit out of sorts...having been neglected recently. Various items were discussed, no unkind words were spoken...just an open and honest discussion.

Ultimately a solution was found: I am going to daily alternate between a DE and an SE razor. So this morning I loaded up my Merkur 23c with a new GSB and my Schick Type G with a new Schick blade. Hopefully this will bring calm to the house once more. The final sticking point was: what razor to use today? Who would go first? We flipped a coin and the first shave went to the Schick. :w00t:

A great shave this morning.

Pre: Proraso preshave cream
Razor: Schick
Brush: Simpsons Special
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Post: Witch Hazel / shea butter / Clinique Post shave soother.

$M15.jpg

Of course the real question is...why can't my razors get along like my brushes?

Today was my first day with a DE in a while. This was part of my settlement with my SEs and DE razors to use each on alternating days. As I opened my razor drawer, I did notice my Schick Type G was particularly shiny this morning...almost tempting me. But the sharp glare of the Merkur 23c reminded me of our agreement. I had a wonderful shave this morning...the 23c was everything I remembered. Fine line, good balance in my hand, and the GSB....well, need I say more. Sharp and smooth from the first shave. Perfection in a blade.

Pre: Noxema preshave cream
Razor: Merkur 23c
Blade: GSB
Soap: Cella

$M16.jpg

Quick post this morning...up and out the door early to get to an appointment. Schick SE day today. So far so good...the DE/SE settlement agreement seems to be working well. Wonderful shave. A great way to start the day.

Pre: Noxema preshave cream
Razor: Schick
Brush: Victoria Badger
Post: Witch Hazel / Jack Black Post Shave Cooling Gel / a small dab of Proraso Green ASB
$M17.jpg

Just got caught up! You seem to be having some great shaves and great luck with the SE. Nice read and I love the photos

Just got caught up! You seem to be having some great shaves and great luck with the SE. Nice read and I love the photos

Thanks Chad! I've enjoyed reading your posts as well. The SE / DE thing is causing me some stress...but I think I have found a workable compromise. I enjoy both tools very much!

Wow! Caught up myself and you have been having some great shaves. Sweet gear and nice soap selections. Always nice to get a thrift store razor and that is a nice looking injector you scored.

I thought I read one way to tell between E and G injectors were the handles. The older razor has a bakelite handle - the newer handles have a seam in them and are molded I believe.

Very nice pics and detail in your journal.

Sent via Tapatalk from phone

Wow! Caught up myself and you have been having some great shaves. Sweet gear and nice soap selections. Always nice to get a thrift store razor and that is a nice looking injector you scored.

I thought I read one way to tell between E and G injectors were the handles. The older razor has a bakelite handle - the newer handles have a seam in them and are molded I believe.

Very nice pics and detail in your journal.

Thanks Pete. I wasn't sure I would enjoy the diary format (I haven't kept a diary since Grade 6) but it seems to be working fine. I am enjoying using the gear and soaps I've accumulated and yes, I have been getting some awesome shaves. The comic book theme for my photos has been fun as well...takes me back to my childhood. I've been enjoying your posts as well! Keep it up!

This morning's shave was very relaxing. I was up early and had the bathroom to myself. I looked through my sock drawer where I store all my soaps and found MWF. A favourite of mine that I have not used for a while now. In the past couple of months I have tried to focus on a couple of soaps...in an effort to try and use up some of my soaps and creams. I have over 30 soaps and creams...and I figure these will last me more than 3 years of daily use. My MdC will probably last me a year all by itself...so make it 4 years worth of soaps. :blink: As you can tell from my previous postings, I tend to alternate between Cella and Haslinger Schafmilch...and every once in a while I will use a different soap, just to keep things interesting. Today it was MWF. I love the scent and the quality of the lather.

Today it was one pass WTG...a few touch-ups and everything was smooth.

Pre: Noxema Classic preshave cream
Blade GSB
Brush: Parker Badger
Soap: MWF

$M18.jpg

One a side note...I've been contemplating buying a horse hair brush...I have several boars and badgers, but no horse hair brush. I read mixed reviews on these. I always wanted a horse, so I have been doing my homework...no rush. I want a good quality brush.

Wonderful shave this morning. This was my day with the Schick Type G and once again it surpassed my expectations. Incredibly smooth and effortless. I noticed something about the design of the Type G. The end of the handle...it is not square, but rather on a 45 degree angle...the perfect spot to place your baby finger when holding the razor. Pure design genius.:001_cool:

I have changed one aspect of my preshave routine lately. Normally I shower, apply a bit of warm water to my face and then work in a small pea size amount of either Noxema or Proraso preshave cream. I work it in, and leave it on while I apply my lather. Lately, however, I apply the preshave cream and then wet a facecloth and rinse my face before I apply my lather. I did this because both the Proraso and Noxema have a scent that sometimes mixes with my shave soap scent. Not unpleasant, but just a mixed scent. I like this new process and I will likely continue.

This morning a one pass WTG journey of pure delight. As I was shaving pixie dust was falling from heaven and harp music was playing...the Schick Type G worked its magic. I felt myself transported to shaving paradise...until someone knocked on the bathroom door. What a great way to start the day.:thumbup1:

Pre: Proraso preshave cream
Razor: Schick Type G
Brush: Semogue
Post: Witch Hazel / shea butter / Clinique Post Shave Soother.

$M19.jpg

I had a very nice relaxing shave this morning. This was my DE day and the Merkur 23c continues to perform very nicely. (Not quite as nice as the Schick, but it is a great razor:blushing:.) I did a two pass shave: WTG and a second in various directions depending on my growth pattern. Not my usual one pass WTG, but I was enjoying my lather so much I wanted to make this one last.

Pre: Proraso Preshave
Blade: GSB

$M20.jpg

I am anxiously waiting to receive my new Vie-Long Horse Hair brush. I have been reading about the importance of caring for the horse hair brush. Combing and the occasional shampoo and conditioner seems to be a key feature to prevent the hairs from becoming matted. So I thought to myself...what about my badger brushes? So...I have been combing them as well and while they are in very good condition the combing seems to make them bloom more than usual. I have not started combing my boars...seems the bristles work on a different level than hair.

Congrats on the new purchase. I have been tempted by the horse hair Vie Long brushes for a while and Gifts and Care has such a wonderful selection of them. The Vie Long made Epsilon have such nice handles - and the option for a fan vs. bulb knot like a lot of the VL brushes. I recently put together a Chinese horse knot - but it was a disappointment as it tangled a lot of hairs when I loaded and face lathered. Should have just gone with a nice Vie-Long. What model did you get? Brown or Blonde and knot shape? I will be looking forward to your thoughts - as you have a nice collection of wonderful brushes already - so it will be interesting to see how it compares.

I broke out the MWF last night - the post-shave feel is very nice with that soap. Excellent pics and write ups.

Congrats on the new purchase. I have been tempted by the horse hair Vie Long brushes for a while and Gifts and Care has such a wonderful selection of them. The Vie Long made Epsilon have such nice handles - and the option for a fan vs. bulb knot like a lot of the VL brushes. I recently put together a Chinese horse knot - but it was a disappointment as it tangled a lot of hairs when I loaded and face lathered. Should have just gone with a nice Vie-Long. What model did you get? Brown or Blonde and knot shape? I will be looking forward to your thoughts - as you have a nice collection of wonderful brushes already - so it will be interesting to see how it compares.

I broke out the MWF last night - the post-shave feel is very nice with that soap. Excellent pics and write ups.

Thanks Pete. MWF is a great soap. Top drawer material.

This is the Vie-Long Butterscotch horse hair brush I have ordered. Quite anxious to give it a whirl. I will be interested to see how it performs relative to a boar or badger.

https://www.fendrihan.ca/products/v...mvRI6102V-bJZ6yiN0FF0lWtLCW_PBWcIexoCnw_w_wcB

Last edited:
Thanks Pete. MWF is a great soap. Top drawer material.

This is the Vie-Long Butterscotch horse hair brush I have ordered. Quite anxious to give it a whirl. I will be interested to see how it performs relative to a boar or badger.

https://www.fendrihan.ca/products/v...mvRI6102V-bJZ6yiN0FF0lWtLCW_PBWcIexoCnw_w_wcB

That is a nice brush - I really like the butterscotch colored handles and the brown knot looks very nice with that handle. That is going to be a winner!

That is a nice brush - I really like the butterscotch colored handles and the brown knot looks very nice with that handle. That is going to be a winner!

Yes...it is quite a "looker"...a real peach. It is going to stand out among my other brushes that are more earthy tones of brown or black.

This morning's shave was an absolute delight! This morning was a Schick shave...always a nice way to greet the day. I am thinking I may scrap the alternating days with my DE and SE. I am just enjoying the Schick so much I want to have that perfect shave every day. I think starting tomorrow I will only use my DE "every once in a while". Yes, I will experience bouts of guilt and my DEs will certainly give me a hard stare when I open my razor drawer...but, in the words of Winston Churchill, "Damn the torpedoes...full speed ahead!" I may even introduce a new soap into my rotation of Cella and Haslinger Schafmilch!

Pre: Noxema Classic preshave
Razor: Schick Type G
Post: Witch Hazel / Shea butter / Jack Black Post Shave Cooling Gel
$M21.jpg

Great shave! Those injectors are fantastic. If blades were more available, I think injectors are what people switching from carts should be turned on to.

Last edited:
Top Bottom