What's new

Rust!

I've been shaving most every day with a Gillette Adjustable and Derby blades, but on weekends and when travelling I'll often skip a day. Well in 48 hours there is rust on the inside of the doors.

How should I clean off the rust?
What should I do to prevent rust from forming?

Thanks

The blade shouldn't rust that fast. So I'd guess that you have some plating loss on the inside of the doors.

I keep my blade in its original wrapper after each shave. I put a dab of mineral oil on the blade and make sure I coat the whole blade. I clean and dry the razor after each shave.

You can pick up a bottle of mineral oil at Wal-Mart for $1-2. It's in the pharmacy/health section.

roughrider said:
I keep my blade in its original wrapper after each shave. I put a dab of mineral oil on the blade and make sure I coat the whole blade. I clean and dry the razor after each shave.

Wow.:redface:

roughrider said:

Is this a general guideline? I typically let the blade sit in the head during the days I shave with that blade and take it out the morning I start with a new blade (typically after 4 shaves).

Are there more people doing this?

You take out your blade, oil it, and wrap it back up in its wrapper every day??!?!?!!!! I am impressed. I don't think I could muster that level of dedication. After all, these blades are cheap, easily replaced, and work fine for close to a week anyway.

As to the rust in the original question, I cannot imagine that it is the blade. Derby's, like most other blades, are stainless. While technically stainless can corrode, I cannot imagine that happening that fast, especially to the point of really visible rust. My derby's have never done that. I suspect the razor.

Edit: Benjamin, I am pretty sure that is not considered standard. I think most people just shake their razor dry and leave the blade where it is, until taking it out to throw away.

I'd agree--I sometimes see a touch or reddish coloration on the sink surround if I leave an older Gillette that's been wet laying on the sink--but not with a wet blad or wet Merkur that's relatively new.

Ashe said:
Is this a general guideline? I typically let the blade sit in the head during the days I shave with that blade and take it out the morning I start with a new blade (typically after 4 shaves).

Are there more people doing this?

It's not a general guideline. Many guys here do the same thing you do. I guess it just personal preference.

moses said:
You take out your blade, oil it, and wrap it back up in its wrapper every day??!?!?!!!! I am impressed. I don't think I could muster that level of dedication. After all, these blades are cheap, easily replaced, and work fine for close to a week anyway.

As to the rust in the original question, I cannot imagine that it is the blade. Derby's, like most other blades, are stainless. While technically stainless can corrode, I cannot imagine that happening that fast, especially to the point of really visible rust. My derby's have never done that. I suspect the razor.

Edit: Benjamin, I am pretty sure that is not considered standard. I think most people just shake their razor dry and leave the blade where it is, until taking it out to throw away.

I've always done it this way and it works for me. It takes me about 2 minutes to do it. I've never had a problem with rust or the need to clean my razor. All my razors look like they just came out of the box.

Just a 'nother .02 to add -Gillette adjustable are nickle plated brass alloy they do not rust as would a steel or iron object, if the razor was oxidizing it would be green, a couple of maybes -its a lubricant that is leaching out of the shaft, its hard water, evaporate from the soap,or a combination of any of these.

Well this is what I'm talking about. It's definitely not green. I've been using Proraso soap, and no oil at all. I assume I should oil it, but with what? Mineral oil?

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I just leave the blade in my razor and let it air dry between shaves. Once a month I clean my razors with warm water and a toothbrush. They look as good as new as well.

Try to give it a shot of bathroom cleaner like scrubbing bubbles. Its hard to say but it seems to be "on it" not "in it" if you know what I mean.

I'll bet that its the water. I too use a Gillette adjustable, Derby blades and Proraso and do not have any rust after seven shaves. The only difference appears to be the water. Try wetting a new blade and laying it on a knife blade overnight.

That's definitely rust. And it definitely isn't to do with the blade at all. Jim makes a good point that Gillette razors are made with metals that might oxidize some, but will not rust. Very Very Very strange. My guess is that it is the water? Where does your water come from - my grandmother used to have well water that was high in iron and would leave rust deposits on things...

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the razor and finish quality. I've had the same exact thing happen to the same razor but others of the identical model are fine.

moses said:
That's definitely rust. And it definitely isn't to do with the blade at all. Jim makes a good point that Gillette razors are made with metals that might oxidize some, but will not rust. Very Very Very strange. My guess is that it is the water? Where does your water come from - my grandmother used to have well water that was high in iron and would leave rust deposits on things...

Hmmm.. that's interesting where we were just before it rusted was a camp out in the middle of nowhere and the water just reeked :001_07: So it could have been the water. Now that I'm home I'll have to see if it happens again

Top Bottom