What's new

Rust on Progress

I noticed rust on the top of my Progress base plate around the top cap screw hole. Any ideas on how to stop the rust process in its tracks?

Rust would indicate iron or steel content, wouldn't it? I don't think that's in the content of a Progress, is it?

Could it be dried blood?

Although not too popular, there is a solution. I remove the blade and dry razor and blade after each use, and put the blade in before use the next day.

Well, I don't believe there is anything on the Progress that can rust, except maybe the internal spring. Perhaps it was left there from a blade. I have a Merkur slant that has a small spot on the razor plate that is reddish in color, I knew it couldn't be rust because its cast metal, perhaps it was blood. Upon closer inspection I discovered that a small chip of the chrome plating flaked off exposing the reddish copper base coating. I have several Merkur razors and am quite disappointed in their plating, but they are excellent shavers.

Flitz or something similar will do. I'll bet it's from a DE blade being damp; there couldn't be anything else causing it.

Well, I don't believe there is anything on the Progress that can rust, except maybe the internal spring. Perhaps it was left there from a blade. I have a Merkur slant that has a small spot on the razor plate that is reddish in color, I knew it couldn't be rust because its cast metal, perhaps it was blood. Upon closer inspection I discovered that a small chip of the chrome plating flaked off exposing the reddish copper base coating. I have several Merkur razors and am quite disappointed in their plating, but they are excellent shavers.

This^

Appears the chrome plating is susceptible to flaking on the edges around the razor. I had a Progress do this with very little use and within a year. Here is a pic of mine. Notice the coppery area around the post hole. This is after I scrubbed what used to be a more rusty looking spot with a toothbrush. Great razor but flaking chrome is kind of a turn off.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 89
Best you can do at this point is to make sure it's properly dry and then seal it with clear nail polish to prevent further corrosion.

This^

Appears the chrome plating is susceptible to flaking on the edges around the razor. I had a Progress do this with very little use and within a year. Here is a pic of mine. Notice the coppery area around the post hole. This is after I scrubbed what used to be a more rusty looking spot with a toothbrush. Great razor but flaking chrome is kind of a turn off.

Looks like brass to me. I know merkur uses brass for their handles, but I'm not sure how much of the Progress is Brass vs Zamak. If it's brass, then the issue is cosmetic at this point. I do think the OP mentioned the top cap, which is certainly Zamak, so if the plating has been compromised there, then start saving up for a new Progress...

Part of most plating processes is a copper layer just before the chrome for better bonding. There must have been some impurity in that spot that prevented good chrome bonding so it won't spread. What I see in that photo is copper that will do no harm whatsoever to the performance of the razor.

Like they say in New York......forgtettaboudtit !! :001_rolle:001_rolle

Last edited:
Top Bottom