What's new

Rust is reappearing after many rust-removing processes

That's why I alcoholed it after, to make sure all moisture got away. But consider the lettering, one doesn't grind them away on every restore, and I've never had rust reappear like this in the lettering on any other razor I've messed with.

I left a drop of 91% isopropyl alcohol on the blade face of a GD66
and as soon as it dried, there was a spot of rust
the exact same size and shape as the original drop of alcohol.
I think some of the residue of the alcohol was water,
and that the alcohol helped the water spread thinner and
penetrate the surface irregularities of the steel better.

Using oil over Ren wax will have no affect, the steel is sealed by the wax. You should use Renwax as a final protective coat after the surface is perfected, or you will seal in all imperfect surfaces, rust included. It should be buffed off and not allowed to dry on thick.

Scrubbing with Mineral Spirits is recommended for complete removal of the wax, Acetone is more aggressive. Any oil will protect the steel from rust even WD40 and can easily be removed if further finishing is required.

There is a lot of pitting on that steel and will take a lot of sanding to remove it all, on the tang, the spine should come clean easily. Start with 600 wet and dry and that will show you how much more work is needed and if more aggressive paper is needed. Use a backer, I like synthetic wine corks wrapped with W&D paper cut to 3 inch squares.

Scales are horn and in need of hydration, soak in Neetsfoot oil in a Zip Loc bag for a couple days, mineral oil will work. Then sand with 600 and 1k paper, polish with any good metal polish to a high gloss. Horn dust, from sanding and CA glue can repair any cracks or imperfections.

While horn will not produce Cell rot, if the razor was stored in proximity of celluloid that is off gassing, the steel could have been contaminated. I have seen entire glass cases in Antique stores affected by a single razor.
Thanks for the instructions for the scales! I've never seen horn before and thought it could be some kind of plastic.

“I left a drop of 91% isopropyl alcohol on the blade face of a GD66
and as soon as it dried, there was a spot of rust
the exact same size and shape as the original drop of alcohol.”

91% isopropyl alcohol, is 9 % water.

Top Bottom