What's new

Russian Gillette Blades

I recently tried 5. For me, they are now #3 on my top 3 list, displacing Astra. Great shaves but unlike my WS and Feather blades, they feel as if they want to bite me.

I recently tried 5. For me, they are now #3 on my top 3 list, displacing Astra. Great shaves but unlike my WS and Feather blades, they feel as if they want to bite me.
I have some that I bought a while ago. The Silver Blues. I have yet to use them. I can't say I've ever had a really bad blade. I tend to use Derbys and Wilkinsons these days and am pretty happy with them. I really don't notice much difference between the various brands I've used, but the occasional dud exists. Not a fan of Merkurs, but have no issue buying or using them if that's my only option.

btw, Astra's are also Russian Gillette blades (that is, made in the same St. Petersburg plant). Which Russian Gillettes: yellows, dark blues, or greens (which are yellows without edge coating), or others?

The Yellows can bite if provoked, I'm of the opinion that they're as sharp as a Feather, albeit a bit more forgiving.

The dark blues are perfection. Maybe they'll make a return at some point in the future.

silver blues are made in the st. petersburg plant as well, all the russian gillette blades I've tried so far (GSB, dark blue, green) have been very good

Astra blades are a Gillette brand, and made in Russia. They are also my favorite all around, smooth shaving, blood free blade. And a great value as well.. That said, I have never tried a Gillette branded blade from the St Pete plant that I didn't like. Some seem different than others in minor ways, but all have delivered the same great shave qualities that I have come to expect from the plant.

I recently bought a hundred pack of Gillette Silver Blue blades that are made there, and they are every bit as good as the Astra blades after several weeks of shaving with them. In fact, I can't tell one from the other in use with two completely different razors. It is nice to have a package that is labelled Gillette in English, but it seems to me that anything shipped from the Gillette plant in St Pete is a great shaving tool...

Only been wet shaving for a week but I can tell you that I like the GSBs better than the Personnas that I tried. Trying a Derby next...

Top Bottom