What's new

Running out of soaps to try

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
You’re welcome sirs!

0A8E0200-F839-48AA-BF8B-2C31C7C22666.jpeg

I would highly suggest looking into Stirling soaps, especially Scots Pine Sheep. This mutton tallow based soap made me forget all the other soaps i own.
First of all a small amount of product lathers huge amounts of the finest cream.
The puck is very large with almost 6oz in it and it will last for ages. More importantly, the lubrication is absolutely top notch, my #1 soap so far in terms of shave and lathering efficiency/feel.
As to the smell, it's a very natural and subtle pine/fresh forest smell. After rinsing the face the smell is pretty much gone so i can use this with all of my aftershaves with no issues of scents colliding.
You can get it in Europe through rasoigoodfellas.com which is where ordered mine.
I've got several other Stirling soaps and like them a lot too, but this mutton tallow soap is special, as most likely the others like electric sheep are too.

Your recent (and fun to follow) German week makes me think why not try a brand from each of several European countries, then go through all the scents that strike your fancy?

Don't worry! There are yet a lot to try. ;)

ABBATE Y LA MANTIA
BOELLIS PANAMA 1924
HAGS
LODRINO
LOS JABONES DE JOSERRA
MICHELE PEYROT
OCCULT GROOMING
PANTAREI
PEREIRA SHAVERY
SAPONIFICIO ANNAMARIA
SAPONIFICIO BIGNOLI
SCHEERMONNIK
WESTMAN

After repeated bouts of SAD, I am starting to run out of new soaps to try. Is this the light at the end of the tunnel? Am I finally reaching the bottom of the soap rabbit hole?

Below is a list of all the things I have tried so far (often multiple scents of each). I dabbled in American artisans early on but decided to focus on European makers. This is mainly due to local availability and the high shipping costs from the states. I have also made the decision not to chase vintage or out of production soaps. As far as I'm concerned if they're gone they're gone. There are too many good current production soaps to worry about it. I am also not a fan of croaps.

Are there any must try soaps that I am missing? I have mixed feelings about reaching the end. In some ways it's a relief but it's also been a lot of fun playing around and trying different things.

Acca Kappa (on order)
Antica Barbieria Colla
Acqua di Parma
Ariana & Evans
Arko
Barrister and Mann
Baume BE
Castle Forbes
Czeck and Speak
DR Harris
Fitjar Islands
Floris (on order)
Gillette Sentive
Haslinger
Klar Seifen
La Troja (on order)
Lothur (on order)
Martin de Candre
Meisser Tremonia
Mike's Naturals
Mitchells's Woll Fat
Musgo Real
Nancy Boy
Palm Olive
Panna Crema Nuavia
Pre de Provence
Proraso
Razor Rock
Santa Maria Novella
Saponificio Varesino
Sebum Gold
Simpsons
Speick
Tabac
Taylor of Old Bond Street
Truefitt and Hill
Wholly Kaw
Zingari Man
You've really covered good ground but a few standouts for me are STIRLING, MOON and recently MACDUFFS. MacDuffs really blew my mind how good it is.

There seems to be an overwhelming consensus on having to try Stirling. In light of this, I have made an exception to my blanket ban on American artisans. It also helps that there is a local supplier of this line. There weren’t too many options left but I went with “Sandpiper”. I hope it’s as good as the hype.

There seems to be an overwhelming consensus on having to try Stirling. In light of this, I have made an exception to my blanket ban on American artisans. It also helps that there is a local supplier of this line. There weren’t too many options left but I went with “Sandpiper”. I hope it’s as good as the hype.
One of my personal favorites... I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.

After repeated bouts of SAD, I am starting to run out of new soaps to try. Is this the light at the end of the tunnel? Am I finally reaching the bottom of the soap rabbit hole?

Below is a list of all the things I have tried so far (often multiple scents of each). I dabbled in American artisans early on but decided to focus on European makers. This is mainly due to local availability and the high shipping costs from the states. I have also made the decision not to chase vintage or out of production soaps. As far as I'm concerned if they're gone they're gone. There are too many good current production soaps to worry about it. I am also not a fan of croaps.

Are there any must try soaps that I am missing? I have mixed feelings about reaching the end. In some ways it's a relief but it's also been a lot of fun playing around and trying different things.

Acca Kappa (on order)
Antica Barbieria Colla
Acqua di Parma
Ariana & Evans
Arko
Barrister and Mann
Baume BE
Castle Forbes
Czeck and Speak
DR Harris
Fitjar Islands
Floris (on order)
Gillette Sentive
Haslinger
Klar Seifen
La Troja (on order)
Lothur (on order)
Martin de Candre
Meisser Tremonia
Mike's Naturals
Mitchells's Woll Fat
Musgo Real
Nancy Boy
Palm Olive
Panna Crema Nuavia
Pre de Provence
Proraso
Razor Rock
Santa Maria Novella
Saponificio Varesino
Sebum Gold
Simpsons
Speick
Tabac
Taylor of Old Bond Street
Truefitt and Hill
Wholly Kaw
Zingari Man
Others may have mentioned some of the ones I am about to list, but you are DEFINITELY missing out if you have not tried:

- Eufros
- Laugar
- MacDuff
- Phoenix & Beau
- Tallow & Steel
- Westman
- E&S Rasage

These are actually the ONLY soaps I now use. I have tried many of the ones you listed and found the ones on my list to be better for me. And while T&S and McD are from Canada, the remainder are EU artisans which works with your methodology.

I love the Stirling Sandpiper scent! I find their tallow base to be excellent. I have yet to try any of the mutton tallow based soaps and it sounds like the mutton soaps are going on hiatus due to increased costs of ingredients.

FWIW...I have had problems with skin reactions to Sterling soaps...

FWIW...I have had problems with skin reactions to Sterling soaps...
That’s not a good sign. I get some sort of reaction to about 30-40% of the soaps I try. Sometimes just very slightly. For the most part, I think it’s the fragrances. Mild fragrances, lavender and citrus seem to be fairly safe. Woody scents, Frougeres and almond I always view with suspicion.

No issues with the saffron scent in this new Krokos by Abbate Y La Mantia. The scent is mild but mesmerising. Sweet and earthy in a very natural way. I’d say this is a good one for sensitive skin.

C6B141B8-0BF3-44DD-97B4-6D5C3601CC39.jpeg

Top Bottom