What's new

Running out of ideas to prevent razor bumps and ingrowns

Hey everyone,

I'm very impressed by all the feedback. Such an amazing community. I feel proud to be part of it.

Thank you all for your solutions, I will start trying one at a time and stick to it for some time to see how each affects my situation. I will keep you all posted here.

Really appreciate your feedback guys:
@Norman Gunston , @Twelvefret , @global_dev , @BigJ , @Esox , @gwsmallwood ,@Macduff ,@vadim @Tallships ,@sarimento1 ,@Pottertons ,@Pottertons ,@RTM ,@mumB_L_E ,@Clay S

I will take some time off and only use clippers to clear them up (I can't let them just grow as they will curl back and cause all sorts of other bumps), then will start picking one of the suggestions at a time and try it out.

Do you guys recommend daily shavings? Currently I shave every other day, but sometimes when I shave daily, it feels (have to be experimented again) that the bumps are getting better as the hair is not let to grow fully out. But then after sometime the skin gets irritated due to too much shaving. So That's something I have to experiment again.

I will keep you all posted. Appreciate the fantastic community.

Have you ever shaved while in the shower? This would allow you face to be warm and wet before shaving.

When I switched to a sharper blade my irritation went away almost immediately. My hair is not as thick or coarse as your but the feather stainless did the trick for me.

Hey everyone,

I'm very impressed by all the feedback. Such an amazing community. I feel proud to be part of it.

Thank you all for your solutions, I will start trying one at a time and stick to it for some time to see how each affects my situation. I will keep you all posted here.

Really appreciate your feedback guys:
@Norman Gunston , @Twelvefret , @global_dev , @BigJ , @Esox , @gwsmallwood ,@Macduff ,@vadim @Tallships ,@sarimento1 ,@Pottertons ,@Pottertons ,@RTM ,@mumB_L_E ,@Clay S

I will take some time off and only use clippers to clear them up (I can't let them just grow as they will curl back and cause all sorts of other bumps), then will start picking one of the suggestions at a time and try it out.

Do you guys recommend daily shavings? Currently I shave every other day, but sometimes when I shave daily, it feels (have to be experimented again) that the bumps are getting better as the hair is not let to grow fully out. But then after sometime the skin gets irritated due to too much shaving. So That's something I have to experiment again.

I will keep you all posted. Appreciate the fantastic community.

Based on what you have shared concerning your skin and hair, it seems like daily shaving would benefit you. I would, however, caution against shaving every day until irritation has cleared up and would recommend gently exfoliating on the "off" days either with a facial scrub, washcloth, or (as @Clay S mentioned) face lathering. If/when you transition to daily shaving, I would limit the number of passes to the minimum necessary; given you are shaving a limited area, this may mean one pass with touch-ups. Personally, I never exceed two passes below my jawline.

In a perfect world, I would shave every 36-48 hours. When my schedule dictates--rather... when I choose to shave 24 hours from my previous, I impose a 2 pass limit and minimize touch-ups.

I have already started experimenting with some of the tips I received from you all.
I will stick to it for some time and change one factor and see how the results change.

But for one thing, I learned that I have to switch to a sharper blade. I just received my package of Feather, Bic, Nacet and will try the three of them to find the best for me.

I also have switched back to DE for shaving the neck and kept the straight for the rest of lining up.

I will kepp you all posted every once ina while.

Thanks

Mine looked worse. You have to exfoliate first, especially the neck. Use what you have. If not try the following. Will need alum block, plain glycerin soap, baby oil, lather and moisturizer/after shave balm.

Gently wash face and neck with glycerin and rinse.
Rub the smooth side of your alum block accross your skin, whiskers to exfoliate, especially the neck. Use some pressure.
Apply glycerin soap to shaving area and hand scrub into skin and whiskers, dont rinse and leave it on.
Put wet hot towel on face, leave for 2min, remove towel, dont rinse.
If you have pre shave oil apply now, or use baby oil
lather and shave WTG ONLY!!
Apply after shave balm and moisturizer.
Good luck, you will see a huge improvement.

Notes: You will have to lift current ingrowns as you continue with a blood lancet, ask wife to help.
Decrease you blade angle if it is to steep.

Lack of a "sharp" blade is not your problem. Cease immediately shaving against the grain. For that matter even stop shaving across the grain until you at least heal up. What you have is either caused by shaving ATG, too much pressure and/or a razor too aggressive for your face. It is always one of those aforementioned as you are obviously cutting your whiskers far too short and they are curling under the skin upon regrowth, i.e., ingrown hairs.

Top Bottom