What's new

Running edge on glass mid hone

Good day!

I was purusing youtube honing videos the other day and saw something odd.

The honemeister ran their straights edge on the lip of a glass bottle while honing on an 8k. He had a usb microscope to show the edge difference and stated he did this to make the edge more uniform.

Anyone have any experience in this method?

If you don’t have a lot of razor experience then I would suggest you just over look this. Often used as more of a parlor trick for YouTube folks to show they actually set a bevel, it is called jointing an edge when properly used. And most who know when to use it probably don’t that often because it is not often needed or improves honing. My suggestion to you is to move along and learn more about honing basics. Good luck

Good day!

The honemeister ran their straights edge on the lip of a glass bottle while honing on an 8k. He had a usb microscope to show the edge difference and stated he did this to make the edge more uniform.

I don't understand why anyone with half a brain would do this.
His USB photos may make the edge look straighter in a 2 dimension view. If you could see the result with a SEM head on, you would not do it.
It seems YouTube is the how to do everything place. While many times helpful you must sort through the crap and employ common sense and ask in places like here that is full of people who truly want to help.

If you don’t have a lot of razor experience then I would suggest you just over look this. Often used as more of a parlor trick for YouTube folks to show they actually set a bevel, it is called jointing an edge when properly used. And most who know when to use it probably don’t that often because it is not often needed or improves honing. My suggestion to you is to move along and learn more about honing basics. Good luck

Thats kinda what I thought. My BS detector went off but im still new enough to razor honing that I wanted to be certain.
Thanks

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Good day!

No. Pretty much nobody to be taken seriously would do this. There are some who will glass the edge before setting the bevel but I do not see the wisdom in that and I would never do it. Some guys disagree. But hardly anyone would say that glassing the edge during the 8k stage would have any possible benefit. Don't do that. I has spoken.

If your honing technique or stone are bad and the razor isn't being cut cleanly, you can get a chewed up looking edge, wire edge, or other ugly profile to your edge. This is 100% avoidable with a decent hone and proper honing.

Glassing the edge knocks this off by increasing the edge radius to the furthest back part of this damage (or further). You're removing damage (if it exists) and sacrificing sharpness to make the edge look better.

If there's a bunch of chewed up garbage on the edge where this is actually beneficial; you should rebevel, not just knock it off on a glass and pretend you didn't just massively increase your edge radius and start polishing up your now significantly dulled razor... because again... if you can't hone to where two planes intersect without creating a bunch of garbage at the edge... you need a better hone or to fix your technique.

I don't know why this would be presumed to aid in sharpening. Wont it just deflect the apex, depending on how much pressure you use. I would guess once deflected you just hone it back off to make a new apex, begging the question why it was done to begin with.

It does deflect the apex... which the next hone knocks off... so it gives you a fatter, rounder edge... which looks better in profile. Continued honing will then push the edge back in (not literally, it cuts it off, but you know what I mean)... but may leave you with a plateau or trapezoidal-shaped edge rather than a triangular one. Because of this, if you look down at the edge perpendicularly to one of the meeting planes, the line the edge forms will appear cleaner (because it's a thicker "bar" of steel if you will) As steel gets thin and meets in a sub-micron thin line, the limits of the steel and the abrasives involved prevent an absolutely perfect, bullet straight line at high magnifications. A thick bar of steel that was effectively "polished flat" by glassing will maintain this bullet-straight line at higher mags and give the impression of a cleaner, sharper (looking) edge if you are only considering that view.

Last edited:
So didn't have time to read all the comments but read the first post and dont need to read more. I dont know about anyone else but the first thing that goes through my head when honing is let's run the edge on glass to make it sharper. SMH. I am starting to think there are people who want to cause as much damage as possible so they can sit back and laugh.

The worst thing I have ever done was on Battlefield 4 on PC I told someone that alt+F4 would help a vehicle get unstuck.

So didn't have time to read all the comments but read the first post and dont need to read more. I dont know about anyone else but the first thing that goes through my head when honing is let's run the edge on glass to make it sharper. SMH. I am starting to think there are people who want to cause as much damage as possible so they can sit back and laugh.

The worst thing I have ever done was on Battlefield 4 on PC I told someone that alt+F4 would help a vehicle get unstuck.

Next time tell them to open the console and unbindall
But more seriously, I guess I've been fortunate in that the only time I've ever seen a YouTuber use glass with a blade was an outdoorsman who used the tempered glass of his car window to strop his blade to remove a wire edge (he had stones out in the wilderness; why he didn't just do some 1:1 edge trailing is beyond me), but it seemed harmless enough

I've made a YouTube video were I dragged the edge over the corner of my stone. The reason was that the edge was warped, bent, and wanted to make sure I had a bevel (and show it, but mostly to myself).
The edge needed abit of love and some ninja honing, but with an inconsistent edge, bringing back the bevel after dulling it seemed logical.
Shaves great now.
Edit: I don't see the point of dulling it on glass as stropping can bring an edge dulled on glass back.

Top Bottom