What's new

Run on Ammo?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Man, I was mowing my lawn and ran over a bunny nest or whatever it’s called. A burrow Maybe? Anyway, good lord! The screaming was horrific! I felt horrible. Aside from the already dead, we had to kill one on the spot that was writhing in pain. The others we put in the shade and let mom come get em. I had a loopy earless bunny in my yard that summer.

Now I’d kill a rabbit any day of the week, but running baby's over with the lawnmower messed up my poop! I can still hear those things squeaking! Stupid rabbits. When my yard gets crazy in the spring I always check now.
That would suck.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I stomped the first wolf spider I ever saw. Then I saw all these little things scurry away- they carry their young around. It may sound funny, but I felt bad about that, and haven’t killed one since. I have relocated a few.

All spiders die on sight. I had one in my living room once. He came out from under my stereo stand and, I kid you not, looked up at me laying on the couch and lifted himself up on his legs and stared me down. He called me on lol. I got him too, and he rattled as he went down the vacuum hose lol.

If you buy online, once you get your order, check the boxes....
I got some orders....and left the boxes alone. Just checked today and one box of 25 had 22rds....to late to fight.... this was Academy.
So last time I was at Academy I noted all kinds of ammo boxes missing a round or three. I called over the manager. “Damn kids!” he said.

From what I gathered, it was common that kids steal one or two rounds out of a box and then take off. I don‘t know if these kids have access to a .357 etc., etc. or not, or if they just feel empowered having rounds for some reason. A lot of the defensive ammo is now taped closed on both ends at Academy for that reason.

Anyway, I can see this being a problem for a minimum wage kid picking for online deliveries because it’s really hard to know without opening the box. Then if they rip the box... plus it takes time.

Don‘t get me wrong, I’m not making excuses for Academy. I’m just saying, “Damn Kids!”

In Australia they stoped the sale of ammo and guns so people didn’t go around shooting each other but the thing they don’t realise is most people with guns in aus have atleast 1000 rounds of any caliber they have a gun in. The only people who are able to buy any is cops arms guards and professional shooters that cull kangaroos wild pigs exct I’m unsure if it has changed.

Either. I am not picky on brand. I like 1 1/8 oz loads, but won't turn down 1 oz if they are cheap. I prefer 7.5 shot for trap singles and handicap. I like 8 shot for skeet and the first shot of doubles trap.

I have found that a 1oz size 8 load has the same amount of BB's in it as a 1-1/8th 7.5, and less recoil, give 1oz 8's a try for everything you'd be pleasantly shocked at how they ink ball targets out to 60 yards.

60 yard inkballs? Your gun must be choked like a rifle.....Most of my trap singles birds are probably broken at 30 yards or so. The first shot on doubles trap, I probably get at 25 and the second about 35.

I have used about all the sizes and loads. I have found that it makes little difference if you have the gun pointed in the right place when you pull the trigger at 16 yards or mid yard handicap.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have used about all the sizes and loads. I have found that it makes little difference if you have the gun pointed in the right place when you pull the trigger at 16 yards or mid yard handicap.

1 1/8oz #7 1/2 was my standard Trap load. One of the guys I shot Trap with all the time used a Browning BT99 with 7/8oz of 7 1/2 shot, even at 24 yards! He used a full choke barrel. I shot a modified and imp/mod, shotgun depending, and I did okay even at 24 yards, but not as well as from 22. At 26 and 27 yards I changed to a full choke but that 'pointing at the right place' often eluded me that far back haha.

One doesn’t point a shotgun, even if it is at the right place. We swing the firearm and release where the clay might find running into a suicidal pattern is it’s only option.

Man I miss sporting clays.

I have always heard it said, "You don't aim a shotgun, you point it".

Most new shooters shoot behind the clay. It's often hard for them to believe how much you have to lead a crossing bird. Station 4 on skeet is about 4 feet. They try to aim and shoot at the target. Its long gone by the time they pull the trigger. Even worse if they stop the gun, which most new shooters seem to do a lot.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have always heard it said, "You don't aim a shotgun, you point it".

Most new shooters shoot behind the clay. It's often hard for them to believe how much you have to lead a crossing bird. Station 4 on skeet is about 4 feet. They try to aim and shoot at the target. Its long gone by the time they pull the trigger. Even worse if they stop the gun, which most new shooters seem to do a lot.

Thats how I was taught. I didnt even swing through high flying Canada Geese, just point the pattern to where the bird would be and hope they met lol. I sure learned to shooting Teal when their wiggling their way into the dekes though lol. Teal and Wood Ducks at near dark in the trees is some tough shooting.

I remember pass shooting a flock of 2 dozen or so Canada geese coming in over a field. They wernt that high off the ground, maybe 30 feet and maybe 30 yards out, but their speed is deceptive. I swung on the lead bird and killed the 4th bird back. I doubled from that bunch, the 4th and 6th birds back from the lead.

That was my problem shooting Trap handicap. The O/U I shot was a lot heavier than the old 1100 and I was always behind the bird from swinging slowly.

60 yard inkballs? Your gun must be choked like a rifle.....Most of my trap singles birds are probably broken at 30 yards or so. The first shot on doubles trap, I probably get at 25 and the second about 35.

Nope just two Muller U2's choked at about .13 thousands out of a Beretta 692.

But yes you point a shotgun you don't shoot it, I recommend anyone to read "the Churchill method of shooting"

Top Bottom