What's new

Rumor: Razorock NEW slant razor design soon to be released! (Can anybody confirm?)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I used the razorock L3 slant this morning with a fresh Gillette platinum..The new solid blue box..

These are some notes from the shave
1. Very efficient.

Thanks for the review. Good job of it. I see we're largely on the same page after one shave. I'll just add my first shave comments.

My L3 was used for the first time this morning, too.

Indeed! Very efficient. Like a iKon Tech maybe.

2. Difficult to load the blades. However, the align perfectly every time. I expected this due to those tight tolerances.

Indeed!

Loading the L3's blade was certainly difficult.

I've never before this morning encountered a razor which gave me any problems loading the blade. (I have a good many slants and a lot of razors.)

3. No blade chatter, or blade movement.

I agree.

4. very aggressive and comparable to mule r41, ikon tech razor..However, it’s a lot smoother than both those razors.

I'd say, after one shave, the L3 is smoother than the iKon Tech for sure, by a lot. That's not saying much as I think the iKon Tech is so rough I won't use it except when I forget how rough it is.

Perhaps the L3 is more similar in smoothness to the R41. (I'm an R41 fan.)

After one use of the L3 I'd say I like the R41's feel more than the L3's feel, but one one shave isn't enough.

5. I didn’t get any weepers or cuts. However, if your not careful the razor can easily bite you.

I'm not sure the razor is likely to cut. I'm not sure it isn't.

It drew no blood in its first outing. It didn't feel dangerous but the Wunderbar doesn't either until it bites.

I do not think the L3 is as smooth feeling as the Wunderbar. The Wunderbar is gloriously smooth until it jumps up out of nowhere to bite the hell out of me.

I’m very happy with the purchase..However, I’ll take some time to get some more feedback before deciding on which plate(s). To add to the L3.

I'm not yet absolutely sure how much I like the L3. One shave doesn't tell me quite enough. I am however glad I bought it and I'm 100% sure I wouldn't want to buy a baseplate more aggressive than the L3.

11-30-22.L3&L1++baseplate.640.JPG

I'm going to try the L1++ baseplate.

Again, these are only first shave impressions, but I think they're pretty accurate.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Used the L2++ few moments ago.
Pacific shave cream, feather blade - new blade every shave. Same combo I have used for most my wunderbars shaves.

For me, a user more than connoisseur, the SS performed as expected. End result was the same as the wunderbar using my two pass (with grain, opposite grain) shave for this 4 day growth.

Interesting as I find the wunderbar easier to use then my GC jaws 68, the SS is easier than wunderbar, for at least this shave. The SS works better under nose.

Bottom line is, no regrets. I wanted a slightly less aggressive than the wunderbar, the L2++ appears to meet this expectation and still provide the quality cut/experience of the wunderbar.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I’m really having a hard time holding off buying one of these. Are you able to pick a handle? Last time I took a quick look it didn’t look like you could choose which handle you’d like.

I was wanting to buy just a head. I have lots of handles! It influenced my decision to buy the L3 -- it has a handle I actually like, and if it's like a tuned-up Wunderbar (as Michael said) then I'll have a ready comparison.

O.H.

Old Hippie

I wanted a slightly less aggressive than the wunderbar, the L2++ appears to meet this expectation and still provide the quality cut/experience of the wunderbar.

If they end up making "only" three plates in SB and OC for each level, that ends up being potentially 18 different plates to keep in stock.

I have a feeling the market's gonna shake out pretty swiftly, which will be interesting to watch how it unfolds.

O.H.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
If they end up making "only" three plates in SB and OC for each level, that ends up being potentially 18 different plates to keep in stock.

I have a feeling the market's gonna shake out pretty swiftly, which will be interesting to watch how it unfolds.

O.H.
I have been following this thread, and those were my exact thoughts when I heard that they were planning to release that many heads. While it's great for those of us with a lot of money and time, that's nearly 20 levels of aggression/efficiency.

Eventually, over the course of the next few months, I hope that by reading other reviews I will be able to hone in on what's close to the Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant, and Wunderbar. That should give me an idea of what will be good for me.

L3 delivered today. First shave probably Saturday. Someone mentioned its a pain to insert the blade. Since the head is extremely bent you have to insert the blade and screw down the handle until the blade is fully seated. Yes I know it makes a crunching sound but that is music to my ears.

Superslant L3.JPG

L3 delivered today. First shave probably Saturday. Someone mentioned its a pain to insert the blade. Since the head is extremely bent you have to insert the blade and screw down the handle until the blade is fully seated. Yes I know it makes a crunching sound but that is music to my ears.

View attachment 1565442
The satisfying crunch of super tight tolerances. Looks great!

Old Hippie

UPS is supposed to roll up the valley tomorrow evening, but long experience with living here tells me that they'll be "unable to deliver" tomorrow, try again on Saturday, and then some poor guy who ticked off the boss is gonna get handed a full truck and told not to come back until it's empty. I've had package deliveries timestamped around 1:00 a.m.

I have tremendous sympathy for the courier drivers.

O.H.

UPS is supposed to roll up the valley tomorrow evening, but long experience with living here tells me that they'll be "unable to deliver" tomorrow, try again on Saturday, and then some poor guy who ticked off the boss is gonna get handed a full truck and told not to come back until it's empty. I've had package deliveries timestamped around 1:00 a.m.

I have tremendous sympathy for the courier drivers.

O.H.
here UPS delivery goes like this:
they drive down the street, but don't stop the truck, let alone come to the door. You just get a note "tried to reach recipient, available for pickup from the next day at the shop", lol. So you need to wait a day because they were lazy, then you can drive to the shop to pick it up, even though you paid for home delivery... I think they didn't get the memo that many people are working from home since covid, so these kind of shenanigans don't fly anymore. :)

Tried my new L3 Super Slant today. As others have said it’s a bear to load the blade. Couldn’t get my trusty Lab Blues to work and fiddled around and wound up dropping the washer down the drain 😂😂😂. Loaded a polsilver (and I’m not used to using brand new blades that often and not usually anything other than my tried and true Lab Blues, and never on a new razor, never mind the aggressive L3!!!) for this remarkably close shave. More aggressive than i was expecting and did get bit on my chin in 3 areas but no big deal. Very efficient and can’t wait to try it again with my well worn Lab Blues to get a more realistic feel of the shave.

Here’s my review of the Shave in the DecemBOAR thread I made earlier with a pic of the L3.

I shaved with the L3 superslant again today, and this thing is a beast.. I would advise not to apply any pressure at all.. That way you can have a very smooth & comfortable shave.. It seems that the more pressure you apply the more it just feels like a shavette. I am guilty of applying pressure with most double edge razors. If I was to apply the same pressure I apply to the lupo 72 to the superslant, I would be covered in weepers and cuts..

Old Hippie

here UPS delivery goes like this:
they drive down the street, but don't stop the truck, let alone come to the door. You just get a note "tried to reach recipient, available for pickup from the next day at the shop", lol. :)

Up until the pandemic we never had delivery out here. The little couriers kind of got forced into it when some of the big guns decided they had to expand their areas. Some didn't -- DHL for instance still doesn't. FedEx is currently leading in the game we call "Put The Truck In The Ditch." :) Aggravating when the truck is in the ditch and blocking my driveway at the same time.

I hear rumbles that they're going to start returning to pre-pandemic business as usual soon.

My L3 is tentatively scheduled to arrive about 8:30 this evening.

O.H.

Top Bottom