What's new

Ruined my Henckels Rapide...time to replate?

I scored a lovely Henckels Rapide set from someone I know, complete with strop and five blades. Everything is in excellent condition save for the gunmetal gray tarnish the whole razor had taken on.

So I've been doing research, asking around on how to remove the tarnish safely. I was recommended polish, toothpaste, soap, etc. After some time I decided to go with the aluminum/baking soda method as it seemed like is was the safest option (this is what the internet told me at least) and I remember reading about it on here.

I used hot water (not boiling), added baking soda, and I waited. Razor wasn't in there for more than a minute and this process chewed straight through the brass in many areas, predominantly the head. What's interesting is that in some places, the tarnish didn't even come off.

So I'm now left with a Rapide that's brass, silver, and gunmental gray in all sorts of places. Really sucks, I'm a perfectionist and I was really hoping to polish this up nicely. The razor looked better in one shade of gunmetal gray than it does right now.

Any thought's on getting this replated (if at all possible)?

Top Bottom