What's new

Ruger LCP MAX any interest?

Wellll... I've worked up & shot the original LCs (LC380, LC9) and generally liked them, as far as Ruger offerings.

Can you do better? Sure, by leaps & bounds, but, I think they're good at a lower price point compared to Glock, Sig, Beretta, et al.

The LC380 is the ONLY pistol my wife has ever enjoyed shooting, so were I in the market, I would definitely rent one of these for her to try as something with a bit more oomph! and ammo availability, compared to the .380.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Wellll... I've worked up & shot the original LCs (LC380, LC9) and generally liked them, as far as Ruger offerings.

Can you do better? Sure, by leaps & bounds, but, I think they're good at a lower price point compared to Glock, Sig, Beretta, et al.

The LC380 is the ONLY pistol my wife has ever enjoyed shooting, so were I in the market, I would definitely rent one of these for her to try as something with a bit more oomph! and ammo availability, compared to the .380.

I think this Ruger LCP Max has come at a good time. Years ago, I picked up a pair of North American Arms Guardians in .380 so the wife and I could have matching pocket pistols. Man, were those things heavy! That all steel construction, would try to pull my shorts down to my ankles, everytime I went to take a pee. :) My wife also had trouble manipulating the slide and holding on to it when shooting.

I sold them both on consignment at my LGS and picked up a pair of matching Kel-Tec .32's. We carried those in our pockets for a few years and I carried it in my ballistic vest as a back up. Then the original Ruger LCP .380 came out. Knowing I needed to upgrade back up to a .380 and away from the dimunitive, little .32 ACP, The Ruger LCP in .380 was exactly what I thought a lightweight, thin, pocket pistol should look and feel like.

We probably had those for 8 years maybe? Until I saw Tim, @Acmemfg post a pic of his Ruger LCP II here on the forum all those years ago. I liked the fact that it's looks, and ergonomics were better, and the fact that it's slide locking back when empty, was something the original LCP wouldn't do.

So I once again, sold the pair of the original LCP's at the LGS, but instead of picking up a pair of the LCP II's, I used those proceeds from the sale of the original's and purchased the wife an LCP II and a Glock 43. At that time, I had moved into an administration role at my job and didn't need a back up pistol for a vest any longer. So I was hoping, she would eventually work her way into carrying the G43 more than she does, but she still favors the smaller and lighter and thinner LCP II.

But she doesn't carry it in a pocket. She either carries it AIWB at work 80% of the time, in her purse 10% of the time, and the last 10% she carries her G43, because of my constant nudging. :)

I can't really complain, because if I'm wearing summer shorts and light button up shirts when it gets hot, or I am out running around close to home or doing chores, if she's at home and that little pistol is in her purse? I'm probably sneaking it out of there and slipping it into my pocket. :)

I'll be out and about at the corner store or somewhere, and she will call me and ask me, "where is my pocket pistol!" And I'm like, "just grab your Glock, babe?" And she's like, "No! Get back here with my gun!"

So, I was holding and checking out the new Ruger Max-9 at Academy the other day, and it's slide is still pretty wide for a 9mm. But the Ruger LCP Max in .380 is the same dimensions of the LCP II. It appears, they pulled the little design trick that Sig Sauer did with their P365, where they took a double stack magazine, but then tapered the top of the magazine, down to a single stack.

Which, makes the bottom portion of the grip on the LCP Max a bit fatter than the LCP II, but the top 2 or 3 rounds in the top of the magazine is single stack. This allows the slide and upper portions of the max frame, to be thin and keep the smaller dimensions of the LCP II. What I like best about the LCP II is that I can easily carry it in my pocket. I don't know, if I would want the thicker bottom portion of the Max frame and grip in a pocket?

So I saw an opportunity that exists. since i was going to pick me up a pocket pistol anyway? And my wife won't carry her LCP II in an actual pocket? Why not get her the new LCP Max with a couple of 12 round magazines and then just keep her LCP II for myself?

"I love it when a plan comes together." - Lieutenant Colonel John “Hannibal" Smith The A-Team. :)

Last edited:
I actually am kind of in the market for a pocket pistol. Though I would be open to a reliable .32, most .32s that are reliable are more expensive than an lcp so there’s that. I’ve though of getting a pocket revolver. What I would love to see more than anything is a 5 shot LCR chambered for .32 H&R mag (with weight and cylinder size appropriate to that caliber and nothing more). That would be a very convenient pocket revolver that would be on par with .380 power.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I actually am kind of in the market for a pocket pistol. Though I would be open to a reliable .32, most .32s that are reliable are more expensive than an lcp so there’s that. I’ve though of getting a pocket revolver. What I would love to see more than anything is a 5 shot LCR chambered for .32 H&R mag (with weight and cylinder size appropriate to that caliber and nothing more). That would be a very convenient pocket revolver that would be on par with .380 power.

With this you could shoot just about any straight walled .32.
Ruger® LCRx® Double-Action Revolver Model 5462

With this you could shoot just about any straight walled .32.
Ruger® LCRx® Double-Action Revolver Model 5462
Nortac I was somewhat interested in the LCRx, but it is still a little big for all around pocket carry. Certainly I can carry it in loose fitting cargo pants with deep pockets, but I would like to carry it in blue jeans or even slacks as well. Making it a 5 shot, and reducing some of the bulk needed to safely launch full house .327 federal, would make it a dandy pocket revolver.

Ruger hit yet another home run with this one. I’m not a big fan of mouse guns but this is more like a “gutter rat”. Just large enough so you know there is something in your hand but still easy to carry and conceal. The 10 round magazine is a plus as well.
If/when .380 ammunition is more accessible I can see this as a top rate summer EDC sidearm.

FA89CCB9-2207-4C3D-8BC5-997FD7DD29DF.jpeg

….and on the down side, seems my holsters for the first generation LCP
ain‘t gonna fit the MAX. Time to call one of my leather guys🤷‍♂️.
Watch BST in the upcoming weeks for some seriously good deals😁

OkieStubble

Ruger hit yet another home run with this one. I’m not a big fan of mouse guns but this is more like a “gutter rat”. Just large enough so you know there is something in your hand but still easy to carry and conceal. The 10 round magazine is a plus as well.
If/when .380 ammunition is more accessible I can see this as a top rate summer EDC sidearm.

View attachment 1300079

Probably going to be picking up one for the wife soon. I'm surprised to see the smooth portion of the upper frame where the right hand shooting thumb sits? Wnder what made them not stipple it there like the LCP II?

And why do they have to place that ugly print on the side, just to tell us it will fire with the mag out? Put it on the box, put it in the manual, but not on the gun?

OkieStubble

….and on the down side, seems my holsters for the first generation LCP
ain‘t gonna fit the MAX. Time to call one of my leather guys🤷‍♂️.
Watch BST in the upcoming weeks for some seriously good deals😁

I heard it fits in LCP II holsters?

….but for right now, it would seem with a bit of tweaking, my Ritchie Leather OWB rig made for a First Generation LCP will work just fine.
D3FD2A4C-4F25-4231-8D77-FB3FB1DBD437.jpeg

Top Bottom