What's new

Rudy Vey rides again!!!

A while back Herr Vey acquired a piece of Bog Oak. Indeed a mysterious and regal chunk of wood. Very ancient...very attractive. This is what an artisan can do with such wonderful material.
96352E2C-43B4-44BA-A75A-D6F270807E3A.jpeg
75A6F6DD-CEC0-43B5-AC34-E42F90352710.jpeg

Coming soon is a Koraat 14 2.0 fitted with Bog Oak scales. Should be here in 2-3 weeks. Gonna be a nice set for sure.
Ought to see about getting a presentation case made one day

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
That is handsome. Lovely knot as well- is it a Shavemac from Mr Vey or did you provide it yourself?

Nice!

I am looking forward to getting Rudy to make me a badger brush. He can’t ship badger to Canada and I can’t access my US PO Box until this stupid virus goes away. 👎

Owen Bawn

Nice!

I am looking forward to getting Rudy to make me a badger brush. He can’t ship badger to Canada and I can’t access my US PO Box until this stupid virus goes away. 👎
You're not supposed to ship badger from the US to Canada? NOW YOU TELL ME!!!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
You're not supposed to ship badger from the US to Canada? NOW YOU TELL ME!!!
No, not when you follow the laws....I, as well as some other of the artisan makers, have a permit from US Fish and Game to import badger hair knots from outside the USA (like from Shavemac, they are in Germany...). We could, however, sell and ship outside, but there is a fee involved, and so far no-one wanted to pay this.....I believe the fee is $93 per shipment.
There was some discussions here a few years back.
In principle, I can only ship to an address in the USA. I think Sears, Paladin and some others also do not ship outside the USA, but I could be wrong.
I am citing here an excerpt from a post made by Chiefbroom (I think he is a lawyer by trade, so he would know better than I do) some time ago:

"U.S. Federal Law provides that any person or entity engaged in either commercial import and/or export of wildlife or a wildlife product (which a shaving brush containing badger hair qualifies as) must 1) have a permit issued by the US Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) and 2) comply with all applicable inspection, reporting, and record-keeping laws and regulations.

I've been given to understand by a law enforcement officer of the FWS that individuals who fail to declare commercial import or export of wildlife products may be subject to penalties of up to $60,000 per violation. That's probably not a likely result in the context under discussion; the law as it applies to import/export of badger-hair shaving brushes is largely observed in the breach. But the risk is still there. And then there's the risk of having our license revoked, which would would be ruinous.

The biggest problem here isn't declaration (of an import or export) per se; it's that declaration triggers inspection, which carries a fee of $93 (or thereabouts) per shipped container. That’s not such a big deal when the $93 is being spread across 100 or 200 brushes. But it's a deal killer as applied to a single brush."

One of the reasons why I always advertise my orders from Shavemac here, I just cannot afford buying a couple of knots and have this extra fee plus FEDEX shipping added to it.
The risk to go around the law is just too big for a simple guy like me.....

Owen Bawn

No, not when you follow the laws....I, as well as some other of the artisan makers, have a permit from US Fish and Game to import badger hair knots from outside the USA (like from Shavemac, they are in Germany...). We could, however, sell and ship outside, but there is a fee involved, and so far no-one wanted to pay this.....I believe the fee is $93 per shipment.
In principle, I can only ship to an address in the USA. I think Sears, Paladin and some others also do not ship outside the USA, but I could be wrong.
I am citing here an excerpt from a post made by Chiefbroom (I think he is a lawyer by trade, so he would know better than I do) some time ago:

"U.S. Federal Law provides that any person or entity engaged in either commercial import and/or export of wildlife or a wildlife product (which a shaving brush containing badger hair qualifies as) must 1) have a permit issued by the US Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) and 2) comply with all applicable inspection, reporting, and record-keeping laws and regulations.

I've been given to understand by a law enforcement officer of the FWS that individuals who fail to declare commercial import or export of wildlife products may be subject to penalties of up to $60,000 per violation. That's probably not a likely result in the context under discussion; the law as it applies to import/export of badger-hair shaving brushes is largely observed in the breach. But the risk is still there. And then there's the risk of having our license revoked, which would would be ruinous.

The biggest problem here isn't declaration (of an import or export) per se; it's that declaration triggers inspection, which carries a fee of $93 (or thereabouts) per shipped container. That’s not such a big deal when the $93 is being spread across 100 or 200 brushes. But it's a deal killer as applied to a single brush."

One of the reasons why I always advertise my orders from Shavemac here, I just cannot afford buying a couple of knots and have this extra fee plus FEDEX shipping added to it.
Thank you for the thoughtful response, Rudy. I recently sent a single Manchurian brush to Canada as part of a trade, so it was not any sort of commercial enterprise. When the postal clerk asked my wife what was in the box for US Customs she told him it was a brush, but 'badger' never came up, not out of any wish to skirt any law, but because we never thought of it.

That’s ok. I shall be your Canadian lawbreaking badger smuggling mule when this COVID thing is over. 😜 How many years do you think I would get in the slammer for bringing a couple of shaving brushes across the border?

Thank you for the thoughtful response, Rudy. I recently sent a single Manchurian brush to Canada as part of a trade, so it was not any sort of commercial enterprise. When the postal clerk asked my wife what was in the box for US Customs she told him it was a brush, but 'badger' never came up, not out of any wish to skirt any law, but because we never thought of it.
Oh, the Canadian Wildlife folks came to my door. I caved and told them where you live. Sorry, but you got some ‘splainin’ to do.

Weirdly, the biggest no-no to ship from the US to Canada I have seen is Brazilian rosewood. I almost had to smuggle a custom bass guitar into Canada but I was above board and paid almost $200. Only the fingerboard was rosewood. Crazy.

Top Bottom