What's new

Rudy Vey Irish Bog Oak / Shavemac

I had been planning to contact Rudy about a wooden handle brush later in the year but after the discussion about Irish bog oak (IBO) at the beginning of the current group-by I decided to expedite my plan. So here is the result of Rudy’s expert advise and workmanship. This is my first Rudy Vey brush.

The IBO is dense/solid and works well in the ASM3 shape, providing heft and a nice balance. It may be difficult to see from the photos, but the wood is not entirely black and contains some brown streaks - which I really like. According to Rudy, the wood is about 6,000 years old, which is a bit of a mind boggler.

The knot is a 24 mm 2-band silvertip Shavemac - my first Shavemac. I have only used the brush once - after we lost power in NJ from the big storm yesterday. Soft tips, firm backbone - exudes quality.

Now I know why people love their Rudy Vey brushes and Shavemac knots. One happy camper!

Before getting wet:

proxy.php

After its first use:

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Methinks if I can acquire a straight razor with Irish Bog scales, a call to Herr Vey so to discuss a brush like that is surely on the agenda😉

I am curious if anyone knows much about the shapes of the vintage Simpson brushes. It's my understanding that the AS3M is a variant of the AS3 with one ring instead of the AS3's two rings.

What happened to the AS3 and AS3M? To my eye, the:
  • Berkeley B46 looks similar to the AS3
  • Duke 3 looks like a shorter, squattier version of the AS3
  • Emperor E3 looks like a taller, thinner version of the AS3M
  • Vulfix 41 looks like a pudgy version of the AS3M

Every time I swear off custom brushes and brush purchases in general, I see something like this. Simply stunning.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I had been planning to contact Rudy about a wooden handle brush later in the year but after the discussion about Irish bog oak (IBO) at the beginning of the current group-by I decided to expedite my plan. So here is the result of Rudy’s expert advise and workmanship. This is my first Rudy Vey brush.

The IBO is dense/solid and works well in the ASM3 shape, providing heft and a nice balance. It may be difficult to see from the photos, but the wood is not entirely black and contains some brown streaks - which I really like. According to Rudy, the wood is about 6,000 years old, which is a bit of a mind boggler.

The knot is a 24 mm 2-band silvertip Shavemac - my first Shavemac. I have only used the brush once - after we lost power in NJ from the big storm yesterday. Soft tips, firm backbone - exudes quality.

Now I know why people love their Rudy Vey brushes and Shavemac knots. One happy camper!

Frank's IBO RV 2 band (not D01).640.8-20.jpg

This is a seriously good looking handle. Particularly in the material and the texture and the color. Whether I'd like the handle's shape and size I'm not sure, but I think I would.

I did another shave today with my new RV brush with the D01 2 band. Here's the link. I compared it with some other brushes.

RV.New.8-10-20.640.JPGRudyVey.Used.Once.Bloomed.640.JPG

That's mine. Brand new. Used once, bloomed, and damp.

The color is more true in the photo on the right, but not exact. It's a bit deeper and more serious looking and isn't quite as orange as the photos show. Not that it isn't orange but it's a deeper orange in natural room light.

IBO really is good stuff from all I've heard and it looks wonderful. I imagine it as very heavy.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom