What's new

Rudy Vey Custom Shaving Brushes and Restorations

linty1

My wallet cries.
7DC43CD8-98E0-4C68-ACCB-7C42BF8C9D3B.jpeg

EC71C74B-6BA8-4AC2-90DC-0640C9E5FC30.jpeg

6715B32F-B906-46C4-9C17-79CD4058C5C2.jpeg

2 part epoxy, a little string the tie the knot thinner in diameter, the popsicle stick came with the epoxy and a few extra wooden qtips. I also had a stack of alcohol wipes.

Started a timer on my phone just to keep an eye on the "5 minute" part of things. Mixed. Wiped down all surface with alcohol pad. Slathered a bit into my shim cork piece I had cut earlier and pressed in. Wiped excess. Slathered a thin bit onto bottom of knot. Turns out the string was useless as it kept slipping and a combo of low patience and pig fingers lead me to just squeeze the knot and push/twist it in until I felt it hit bottom. Wiped/cleaned up with another alcohol pad. Held it in place for the required 5 mins and now it sits for a day.

Final loft height -should- be around 51mm on a 24mm knot. I have another exact same knot set at 24/52-53 that I liked.

This all sounds complicated for what is essentially grade school glueing... but grade school was a long time ago and I never was a great student. I hope this worked out.

View attachment 1279101

View attachment 1279102
View attachment 1279103

2 part epoxy, a little string the tie the knot thinner in diameter, the popsicle stick came with the epoxy and a few extra wooden qtips. I also had a stack of alcohol wipes.

Started a timer on my phone just to keep an eye on the "5 minute" part of things. Mixed. Wiped down all surface with alcohol pad. Slathered a bit into my shim cork piece I had cut earlier and pressed in. Wiped excess. Slathered a thin bit onto bottom of knot. Turns out the string was useless as it kept slipping and a combo of low patience and pig fingers lead me to just squeeze the knot and push/twist it in until I felt it hit bottom. Wiped/cleaned up with another alcohol pad. Held it in place for the required 5 mins and now it sits for a day.

Final loft height -should- be around 51mm on a 24mm knot. I have another exact same knot set at 24/52-53 that I liked.

This all sounds complicated for what is essentially grade school glueing... but grade school was a long time ago and I never was a great student. I hope this worked out.

You sound like me when it comes to gluing things. Start out with the best laid plan, then it all comes apart at execution. Regardless, looks like you did a great job. Enjoy the brush.

Here are two of Rudy's- the G3 handle was done in tortoise and has a 24 mm shavemac finest. The keyhole is also a shavemac in 2 band done in real faux ivory. Rudy is a gentlemen and i couldn't recommend him enough. Wonderful classic brushes.
20210811_154648.jpg

Last edited:
Here are two of Rudy's- the G3 handle was done in tortoise and has a 24 mm shavemac finest. The keyhole is also a shavemac in 2 band done in real faux ivory. Rudy is a gentlemen and i couldn't recommend him enough. Wonderful classic brushes.
View attachment 1310297
Beautiful. Just when I thought my BAD was in check. Rudy's keyhole handle is tied for first in my den and it is tied with an Eagle. You picked two great handle shapes.

I've recently had the pleasure to work with Rudy again on a couple of brushes. The knowledge he has, & the way he communicates his thoughts are excellent. He listened, answered my questions (which were numerous!), & offered suggestions. All in a pleasant back & forth conversation that took several weeks. Thank you, Rudy, for putting up with me. I look forward to working with you again, kind sir.

Here is my first of two. I received this yesterday. A Declaration Grooming 26mm B14 knot set in an exquisitely crafted Rudy Vey Keyhole in ivory resin. Fit & finish - pristine! And it fits perfectly in my hand. I couldn't be happier!!!!
IMG_2955.jpg

Top Bottom